Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
27. Jun 2017 at 08:11
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New, in-depth Steven Wilson interview on Innerview (Read 4835 times)
innerviews
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Newbie

New, in-depth Steven Wilson interview on Innerview
13. Feb 2012 at 07:03

Hi everyone,

An epic, new interview with Steven Wilson, conducted just a few days ago,
is now live on Innerviews. It covers his vast range of current projects,
including his new solo album and tour, Storm Corrosion with Mikael
Akerfeldt, No-Man, Blackfield, and Bass Communion. It also goes into a lot
of unexpected areas. I hope you enjoy it.

Some of the specific topics covered:

- The creative process behind Grace for Drowning
- The direction of his third solo album
- The making of Storm Corrosion with Mikael Åkerfeldt
- Why he's willing to lose money on tour
- How deluxe editions help finance projects
- The forthcoming No-Man live album "Love and Endings"
- Why he's phasing out of Blackfield
- An examination of Bass Communion's new direction
- His involvement in Thick as a Brick 2
- What he achieved remixing King Crimson and Jethro Tull albums
- The renaissance of '70s progressive music
- Thoughts on digital streaming services
- Reflections on Porcupine Tree as an influence on a new generation
- And a whole lot more....

You can check it out on the Web here:
http://www.innerviews.org/inner/wilson.html

or on the free Innerviews iPad/iPhone app here:
http://www.itunes.com/apps/innerviews

View Profile   IP Logged
Domme Zebra
PTF God

Re: New, in-depth Steven Wilson interview on Inner
Reply #1 - 13. Feb 2012 at 10:27

one of the most interesting SW interviews i've read in a long time... great!

Email View Profile WWW jellemarechal   IP Logged
SufferingFromNostalgia
yhW?
I've Donated!

I Still Wave At The
Dots On The Shore

Reply #2 - 13. Feb 2012 at 11:47

Quote from Domme Zebra on 13. Feb 2012 at 10:27:
one of the most interesting SW interviews i've read in a long time... great!

yes, very nice. thank you.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
DragonSlayer
PTF Senior

Reply #3 - 13. Feb 2012 at 12:55

really getting the feeling his main focus will be on his solo work instead of pt from now on...

View Profile   IP Logged
eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #4 - 13. Feb 2012 at 13:23

It seems like he's slowly abandoning all I loved about his music and getting more into doing the kind of music I personally don't like. I mean I don't see the point in making retro music and I have to point out that I love 60s/70s music very much. But it's just me. I think the general fan base will be pleased and I'll just keep dreaming about a follow-up to amazing Insurgentes.

Check out my experimental-rock project Neural Corrosion. Thank you for listening!
View Profile   IP Logged
reedlover
yhW?
I've Donated!

The Bolton PT Posse

Reply #5 - 13. Feb 2012 at 22:05

Great interview.  

Looks like no PT until 2014.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #6 - 13. Feb 2012 at 22:30

I was kind of surprised to hear he is an Atheist. I mean, I always knew him to bash religion and God depicted by certain religions, but he always seemed like a such a spiritual person I figured him to believe in something or another.

Not that it matters... It's not about what you believe it's about how you live, and the world is much better of with SW in it Smiley

View Profile signify2metanoia   IP Logged
Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #7 - 14. Feb 2012 at 00:18

Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 13. Feb 2012 at 22:30:
I was kind of surprised to hear he is an Atheist. I mean, I always knew him to bash religion and God depicted by certain religions, but he always seemed like a such a spiritual person I figured him to believe in something or another.

Not that it matters... It's not about what you believe it's about how you live, and the world is much better of with SW in it Smiley

I remember him saying in another interview a year back or so he pretty much agreed with Dawkins on the subject.

Email View Profile skeptycalone skeptycalone   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #8 - 14. Feb 2012 at 01:25

Quote from reedlover on 13. Feb 2012 at 22:05:
Great interview.

Looks like no PT until 2014.

I could see a PT release in late 2013. He records/mixes his 3rd solo record between this summer and the fall...then sends it off to be released in spring 2013. There is time to write/record PT between the end of 2012-spring 2013. But who knows, with SW things seem to change on a monthly basis. He could always surprise us sooner or later with a new PT record.

As for Steven being atheist, I knew that, and there is nothing wrong with his stance. He respects those whom believe in religion and respect his position.

Fantastic interview....wow this year is gonna be great. So many SW releases!

Catalogue/Preserve/Amass
Blackfield IV
Storm Corrosion
SW tour DVD/Blu Ray

I could even see maybe a live PT release or something.

I also wonder if we'll see Blackfield on tour this year then! That is definitely what Steven is implying in the interview, but unfortunately the tour will be without Steven...just something we'll have to accept.

View Profile   IP Logged
PimPong
PTF God

Reply #9 - 14. Feb 2012 at 13:14

Thanks for sharing - nice interview.  

Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 13. Feb 2012 at 22:30:
was kind of surprised to hear he is an Atheist. I mean, I always knew him to bash religion and God depicted by certain religions, but he always seemed like a such a spiritual person I figured him to believe in something or another.

Yeah, if Lazarus isn't Christian Rock, I don't know what is.  Wink I am with you, though. I always took him more as an agnostic, because he seems spiritual.

View Profile   IP Logged
Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #10 - 14. Feb 2012 at 14:44

Quote from PimPong on 14. Feb 2012 at 13:14:

Yeah, if Lazarus isn't Christian Rock, I don't know what is.  Wink I am with you, though. I always took him more as an agnostic, because he seems spiritual.

Agnostics are generally atheists.  Agnostic is claiming you don't know if God is known or knowable and an atheist has no belief in a God.  One could be an agnostic theist or agnostic atheist.  It's a common misunderstanding that all atheists claim that there is no God.  Spirituality has such a nebulous meaning an agnostic or atheist could be spiritual as SW claims he is.

Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #11 - 15. Feb 2012 at 00:50

Skeptic, you just said 'an athiest has no belief in god'. Then straight after said, 'its a common misunderstanding that all athiests claim that there is no god'? Maybe you havent clarified what you mean properly because they way I read that, the second statement cant be true if the first statement is.

An Athiest is someone who doesnt believe god exists. So therefore, all athiests dont believe god exists. There is no misunderstanding here. Thats why they are an athiest.

If there is a guy who doesnt believe god exists, but acknoweldges there could be one, albiet he doesnt believe there would be,  that makes him agnostic in my mind. An Agnostic athiest as you put it.

I agree, agnostics more so, but yeah Athiests too, I believe, can be very spiritual people.

I cosndier myself agnostic and believe I am a very spiritual person.

Great interview, wish PT was more of a priority but it isnt so thats that. I like his solo stuff, not as much but still great stuff.

Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #12 - 15. Feb 2012 at 02:02

Quote from Porcupine Field on 15. Feb 2012 at 00:50:
An Athiest is someone who doesnt believe god exists. So therefore, all athiests dont believe god exists. There is no misunderstanding here. Thats why they are an athiest.

No, an atheist is someone who lacks a belief in God.  Some atheists claim no God exists, but most simply claim there isn't enough evidence so do not believe.  In other words, if someone asks you if you believe in (a) God and you answer no then you are an atheist.  I don't know is not an answer.  Either you have a belief or you don't.  Does God exist is an entirely different question.  I don't know is an option.

Quote:
If there is a guy who doesnt believe god exists, but acknoweldges there could be one, albiet he doesnt believe there would be,  that makes him agnostic in my mind.

Maybe in your mind, but they are an atheist.  Maybe you don't like calling yourself an atheist or have been misled my semantics.  Agnosticism is about knowledge, not belief.  It's not a fence-sitting position.

Even strident atheists like Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens believe(d) some sort of God could possibly exist.  The distinction is important.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

rainman
yhW?

Reply #13 - 16. Feb 2012 at 00:45

Great interview. Awesome read. Wish GFD was touring again in Chicago. Fun show......

View Profile   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #14 - 16. Feb 2012 at 01:41

Quote from Skeptic on 15. Feb 2012 at 02:02:
Quote from Porcupine Field on 15. Feb 2012 at 00:50:

No, an atheist is someone who lacks a belief in God.  Some atheists claim no God exists, but most simply claim there isn't enough evidence so do not believe.  In other words, if someone asks you if you believe in (a) God and you answer no then you are an atheist.  I don't know is not an answer.  Either you have a belief or you don't.  Does God exist is an entirely different question.  I don't know is an option.

Quote:
If there is a guy who doesnt believe god exists, but acknoweldges there could be one, albiet he doesnt believe there would be,  that makes him agnostic in my mind.

Maybe in your mind, but they are an atheist.  Maybe you don't like calling yourself an atheist or have been misled my semantics.  Agnosticism is about knowledge, not belief.  It's not a fence-sitting position.

Even strident atheists like Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens believe(d) some sort of God could possibly exist.  The distinction is important.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

I have no qualms whether I am atheist or agnostic, its just a term to describe my view point as far as im concerned. Which incidentally is I believe there could very well be a god, creator, or something more, whatever that be, but also acknowledge there very may well not be as well. Whatever that makes me according to Wikipedia, I am happy to be referred to as. lol.

I do believe however that Stevin Wilson is a god. So make of that what you will LOL.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print