Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
27. Jun 2017 at 13:20
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whitney Houston - R.I.P. (Read 1271 times)
bob_32_116
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I'll get me cloak!

Whitney Houston - R.I.P.
12. Feb 2012 at 02:16

Whitney Houston has died.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-12/whitney-houston-reportedly-dead/3825292

I was never a fan of her particular singing style and style of song, but what a great talent. And what a tragic waste. I'll be very surprised if this does not turn out to be drug related.

View Profile   IP Logged
DesertChaos
PTF Full Member

Re: Whitney Houston - R.I.P.
Reply #1 - 12. Feb 2012 at 04:55

I as well. I don't like to speak ill of the dead, especially since she's yet to even be buried (or whatever her wishes are/were) but for me she was everything I didn't like - that big overblown voice that while technically good when your got right down to it was basically bereft of any real feeling, the opposite of what the intent was....at least that is how it was for me.

But I do feel very sorry for this loss. She obviously has struggled for a very long time with assorted addictions and while it's still to be determined if they were a direct cause of death it's hard to imagine that it was not in some way a significant factor.

I've got two people very close to me that have struggled with addictions. It's a very fine line between overcoming it and succumbing to it.

View Profile   IP Logged
benbjo
PTF Junior

Reply #2 - 12. Feb 2012 at 11:55

Overdose no doubt. She was found in the tub in her hotel room and she has a history with heroin. If it was accidental or deliberate, we will likely never know. Nevertheless, I have no respect for people who use (hard) drugs, no matter how famous they are.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
ACF
yhW?

Reply #3 - 13. Feb 2012 at 23:17

Quote from DesertChaos on 12. Feb 2012 at 04:55:
I as well. I don't like to speak ill of the dead, especially since she's yet to even be buried (or whatever her wishes are/were) but for me she was everything I didn't like - that big overblown voice that while technically good when your got right down to it was basically bereft of any real feeling, the opposite of what the intent was....at least that is how it was for me.

Her superbowl national anthem was anything but bereft of real feeling.  It was pre-taped for maximum effect, but was very emotional and remains probably the gold standard for a song done many, many times over by many, many famous artists.

That is her career peak for me.  

Obviously, the substance abuse issues are just sad given the potential for her life.

View Profile   IP Logged
SoundscapeMN
PTF God

Reply #4 - 14. Feb 2012 at 06:22

I do have nostalgia for her, like Michael Jackson and some others. It's eerie how hearing some of her songs again, makes me feel like I'm just a naive kid in the 1980's again.

Sad, but I suppose it was inevitable given how many years she had gone through struggling with addiction. Bobbi Brown I guess is totally clean and is in a better place. Unfortunately she wasn't able to do the same.

Email View Profile WWW SoundscapeMN angra_651 MNProgDude   IP Logged
arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #5 - 14. Feb 2012 at 08:29

not my cup of tea but undeniably she had an amazing voice and her death, like amy winehouse's, is such a shame as its talent gone to waste.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky,
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves,
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still,
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh*ts...
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print