Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
19. Aug 2017 at 06:32
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Synesthesia (Read 1853 times)
whizzbang
Topic Starter Topic Starter
yhW?

Synesthesia
01. Feb 2012 at 02:37

I just heard this word on a documentary show so I Wiki'd it.  

Synesthesia (also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia, plural synesthesiae or synaesthesiae), from the ancient Greek σύν (syn), "together," and αἴσθησις (aisthēsis), "sensation," is a neurologically based condition in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway.[1][2][3][4] People who report such experiences are known as synesthetes.

An example would be people who hear music and see colors.  The sense of hearing triggers visuals.

Cool.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rosettastoned729
PTF Junior

Re: Synesthesia
Reply #1 - 01. Feb 2012 at 03:56

It seems like an interesting condition. I could imagine average people who have it finding that it gets in the way from a practical perspective (listening to music driving the car may be an issue, for example, if the visuals are too distracting), but I agree it's still a "cool" condition conceptually, if one could phrase it like that.  

Also, interesting factoid, Justin Chancellor, current bassist from Tool, has synaesthesia from what I've heard. As in, he sees colours when hearing music. I'd imagine as a musician being on stage like that, that it would be pretty neat. I mean, I just saw Tool, and it doesn't seem to affect his playing, that's for sure.

View Profile   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #2 - 01. Feb 2012 at 18:41

Quote from Rosettastoned729 on 01. Feb 2012 at 03:56:
Also, interesting factoid, Justin Chancellor, current bassist from Tool, has synaesthesia from what I've heard. As in, he sees colours when hearing music. I'd imagine as a musician being on stage like that, that it would be pretty neat. I mean, I just saw Tool, and it doesn't seem to affect his playing, that's for sure.

This is not exactly rare... I think pretty much everyone experiences some kind of visual imagery when hearing music. Probably not in one's direct line of sight, but definitely in the mind's eye... Sounds and smells and textures (and other sensory imputs) can easily trigger memories, visual images, and all sorts of other things really...

View Profile signify2metanoia   IP Logged
eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #3 - 01. Feb 2012 at 19:13

Synesthesia could be also triggered by LSD. I always thought that was the inspiration behind the song title.

Check out my experimental-rock project Neural Corrosion. Thank you for listening!
View Profile   IP Logged
xylem1
PTF God

Open the pod bay
doors, Hal.

Reply #4 - 06. Feb 2012 at 15:24

Yeah, I remember watching a documentary on this many years ago (I think it might have been Horizon on BBC.) And that concluded that everyone has their own kind of Synesthesia, I was fascinated by the small group of people who would say a word and it would trigger a certain smell!  
I always thought the PT song (musically) was a very good representation of this condition.

http://excavationsofsound.blogspot.com/
Prog/metal/ambient reviews
Email View Profile WWW xylem89   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #5 - 06. Feb 2012 at 15:38

The condition synesthaesia has been discussed quite a bit on this forum.

It would seem to me pretty difficult to say for example whether a musical note that triggers an image does so by some kind of sensory crosstalk, or whether it's through a memory association - unless of course the subject can confirm the latter.

For me, certain days of the week are associated in my mind with certain colours. Sunday is yellow. You might say OK, that's the association with the sun. But then Monday is blue - not a dark depressing blue as in a "blue Monday", but a light celestial blue. Tuesday and Thursday are both a kind of greyish brown. Wednesday is green - a deep green, like a rainforest or a pine plantation. Friday and Saturday do not trigger any particular colours for me.

As for the song Synesthesia, I never really understood what the song lyrics have to do with the condition synesthaesia.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tigrelord
PTF Newbie

Reply #6 - 07. Feb 2012 at 00:29

I thought the song wasnt directly related to synesthaesia but it had to do with the idea of connecting things together. In the song it was about a person dying while at war and that there was no emotion connected to it. Its a really loose connection but a connection none the less...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print