Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
18. Aug 2017 at 17:22
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ian Anderson "Thick as a Brick 2" (with 5.1 mix) (Read 2191 times)
rtptfan
Topic Starter Topic Starter
yhW?

AUG. 20 MEMPHIS, TN

Ian Anderson "Thick as a Brick 2" (with 5.1 mix)
01. Feb 2012 at 00:40

http://www.jethrotull.com/

It has just been announced on Jethro Tull's website that a brand new album by Ian Anderson, "Thick as a Brick 2", will be released in April. There will also be a 5.1 mix of the album included in a special edition. Now even though the news story does not mention who mixed the album, I'm 99% sure that Steven mixed the album in stereo and 5.1 since he just did the Aqualung remix and the original Thick as a Brick remix which should be coming out later this year.

August 20, 2010 - a day that will live in memory
Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Re: Ian Anderson "Thick as a Brick 2" (with 5.1 mi
Reply #1 - 01. Feb 2012 at 01:20

Great news. No mention of vinyl or Blue Ray. Are those coming later?? Huh  

This is the piece:

To be released in two formats: the simple jewel case CD with 8-page booklet and the Special Edition with CD, audio-visual DVD and 16-page booklet. The DVD contains 5.1 surround mixes, 24-bit stereo mix, videos covering the making of the album, interviews with the musicians and the lyric reading where ian Anderson reads the lyrics in various settings. Also on the DVD are the pages of StCleve.com, the online update of the St Cleve Chronicle, fabled newspaper of the original album, and the multilingual lyric translations in Italian, German, Spanish, Czech, Polish and Russian.

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
Simon
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - 01. Feb 2012 at 08:16

Quote from rtptfan on 01. Feb 2012 at 00:40:
http://www.jethrotull.com/

It has just been announced on Jethro Tull's website that a brand new album by Ian Anderson, "Thick as a Brick 2", will be released in April. There will also be a 5.1 mix of the album included in a special edition. Now even though the news story does not mention who mixed the album, I'm 99% sure that Steven mixed the album in stereo and 5.1 since he just did the Aqualung remix and the original Thick as a Brick remix which should be coming out later this year.

Yes, SW has mixed both the 5.1 and new stereo versions.  

Carbon Nation - The Independent Porcupine Tree magazine. CN10 out now! www.carbon-nation.co.uk
View Profile WWW carbon_nation   IP Logged
DesertChaos
PTF Full Member

Reply #3 - 01. Feb 2012 at 19:08

I'm sure most have seen Steven's comment on his FB page but just in case some haven't:

Quote:
I recently had the pleasure of mixing the new Ian Anderson / Jethro Tull album, which is a follow up to the classic Thick as a Brick album from 1972. TAAB2 is very much in the tradition of the first album, a continuous 54 minute concept piece with a similar musical palette and style. It's just been officially announced for release in April as a CD/DVD (including a 5.1 mix and stereo in high res), more details on the Tull website. I also completed mixes for a 40th anniversary surround sound edition of the original Thick as a Brick, though not sure when that is coming out.

View Profile   IP Logged
quentin
yhW?

Reply #4 - 01. Feb 2012 at 23:04

Interesting.  I take it TAAB #2 was recorded over the last year or so?

View Profile   IP Logged
Simon
Global Moderator

Reply #5 - 01. Feb 2012 at 23:42

Quote from quentin on 01. Feb 2012 at 23:04:
Interesting. I take it TAAB #2 was recorded over the last year or so?

Apparently so. As a long time Tull fan I have huge reservations about a follow-up to one of the greatest albums ever recorded, especially when Martin Barre is absent from the line-up.  

Just sayin....

Carbon Nation - The Independent Porcupine Tree magazine. CN10 out now! www.carbon-nation.co.uk
View Profile WWW carbon_nation   IP Logged
whizzbang
yhW?

Reply #6 - 02. Feb 2012 at 00:30

Quote from Simon on 01. Feb 2012 at 23:42:
Just sayin....

Come on.  IA is an older version of SW.  You think he would put out a marginal recording?

Just sayin....

View Profile   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #7 - 02. Feb 2012 at 00:45

I wonder if the options are not going to be as limited as with Aqualung release: a 2CD and a Deluxe $140 package.  
Also seems that this time they came with a CD/DVD edition and then the 40th year deluxe edition.  
Probably there is where we'll get the Blue ray and vinyl. Looking forward for more details.  

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
DesertChaos
PTF Full Member

Reply #8 - 02. Feb 2012 at 05:09

There's another article about the album here that tells a bit of the story:
http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2012/02/preview-thick-as-brick-2-whatever.html

As always with revisiting a classic I'm a bit of a skeptic, but I cautiously optimistic on this one. Yes, Ian's voice ain't what it used to be but it's easier to work around that when doing new tunes within his new range than when trying old stuff in a live setting.

But the good news with all this of course is that with Aqualung, Taab and Taab2 it seems Steven has given Ian the surround bug.

View Profile   IP Logged
quentin
yhW?

Reply #9 - 02. Feb 2012 at 23:05

Quote from Simon on 01. Feb 2012 at 23:42:
Quote from quentin on 01. Feb 2012 at 23:04:
Interesting. I take it TAAB #2 was recorded over the last year or so?

Apparently so. As a long time Tull fan I have huge reservations about a follow-up to one of the greatest albums ever recorded, especially when Martin Barre is absent from the line-up.

Just sayin....

Understand completely.  Hopefully it will be a nice surprise.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print