Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
27. Jun 2017 at 23:29
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gig Etiquette (Read 2156 times)
Black Dahlia
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I've Donated!

Hmm..i'll get back
to you on that name.

Gig Etiquette
21. Jan 2012 at 15:39

I wish it was law to send this or similar, out with all tickets ...both physical and cyber.

Wilsonette extraordinaire
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Re: Gig Etiquette
Reply #1 - 21. Jan 2012 at 16:02

The sausages and sauerkraut part , is funny  Smiley  
And the mobil Phone &  iPhone thing is an good idea i dont get why People cheak out there message at a gig they have lots of time after and before to talk on phone , i mean a gig mostly only last for 1 ½ hour or 2 hours , they are there to enjoy the music

Anubian Lights - Naz Bar -Dreamstate In The Mainframe
Hawkwind - Alien 4
Amon Duul 2 - Phallus Dei
The Banana Splits: We're the Banana Splits-LP
Red Warszawa - Hævi Mætal og Hass
View Profile WWW myspace.com/signify2   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #2 - 21. Jan 2012 at 17:16

The sad fact is, there are two kinds of concertgoers: those who already abide by those bits of advice because it's just common sense good manners, and those who couldn't give a shit about anyone else at the concert, and the latter group are not going to change their habits in response to those tidbits.

I also don't get the taking of happy snaps with your camera-phone. Are you trying to prove you were actually there, in case someone doubts you afterwards? It's not just rock concerts - almost any public event that involves people standing to watch something suffers from this these days.

View Profile   IP Logged
arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #3 - 23. Jan 2012 at 08:35

1) You are at a gig to watch/listen to live music. Leave your mobile phone in your pocket. You are not David Bailey and your phone takes poxy, fuzzy, crap photos. So do you.

2) Even worse than 1) are the idiots who think they are George Lucas. Holding your arm up in the air, in the vague direction of the stage spoils my gig-going pleasure. As I mentioned, this is a live gig. I move about. I headbang. I sometimes play air guitar. Even at my age I also occasionally bounce around. So if I bump into you and jog your arm whilst you are filming a grainy 30 second clip of the stage from 30 feet away don't give me a f**king black look. Or I will do it again. On purpose. If you want to watch the band on a small screen, stay the f**k at home and wait for the dvd of the tour to come out.

3) Once the main act is on stage, do not attempt to go to the bar and then make your way back to your mates with 4 pints. Due to most of the crowd actually moving about (except for 5a)'s), you will suffer from spillage as you try to push your way through. And guess what? The closer to the mosh pit you get, the worse the spillage will be!

4) Of course do 3) enough and you will need a piss. Which means forcing your way out of the packed crowd and then forcing your way back again. And the way back, is always much harder and longer as you will by now have lost your bearings and have to zig-zag through the crowd to find your mates. Buy a f**king adult nappy instead.

5) Talkers! There's 40,000 watts of sound equipment on stage, generally facing the audience which sounds louder than a jumbo jet taking off. Certainly when it all fires up I for one can't hear sweet fanny adams else. So trying to communicate with your mate is an exercise in futility. Except you'd rather talk to him than watch a gig you have paid £20 plus to get into. So you and your mate spend the entire gig shouting at each other, thus disturbing everyone around you and spoiling their enjoyment of said gig. So talk to your mate before and/or after but not during. Or you will have me bellowing at you to shut the f**k up!

5a) The-Stand-There-With-Your-Arms-Folded-Guy. Not as annoying as 5) but it always baffles me why they go to a gig and then stand there like a statue for the duration. They don't move, they don't sing, they don't shout, they don't clap. Do you not actually like the group? If you are not going to get into it, why not do us all a favour. Stay at home and listen to the CD instead.

Oh, and if anyone crowdsurfs and puts their shoe/boot in my face, I WILL put my fist in yours. And if I can't reach your face I'll smack you in the balls. I saw one arse try and crowdsurf not so long ago and a young girl who looked about 16 caught his size 10's in her face. I don't think she enjoyed it much. Inconsiderate bastards.

That is all (for now)

Some say a comet will fall from the sky,
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves,
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still,
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh*ts...
Email View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #4 - 23. Jan 2012 at 11:11

Don't hold back, atan, tell us how you really feel.

View Profile   IP Logged
Black Dahlia
I've Donated!

Hmm..i'll get back
to you on that name.

Reply #5 - 26. Jan 2012 at 17:00

Quote from bob_32_116 on 23. Jan 2012 at 11:11:
Don't hold back, atan, tell us how you really feel.

Grin Have to say, 5a on his list,  has always been a puzzle to me, too. First time I saw Porcupine Tree (Bristol) I was surrounded by guys who looked like they took a wrong turn...missed the Girls Aloud gig and ended up at the PT one! But then, the same miserable, poo faced gits, turned up at Steve's gig last year. WTF!  undecided Perhaps that's why he's only doing one Brit' date on this tour.  

Luckily, we don't have the problem of surfers and serious moshers at  Steve Wilson solo gigs or any in which he's a band member.

bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #6 - 26. Jan 2012 at 17:19

I have to disagree about the arms folded thing. I myself am not the most happy-clappy type of audience member, but I will normally move my feet and bounce around a bit if it's that kind of music. Still, if just standing and listening is the way this person prefers to take in the music, then that's their right. It's their money.  It's not like they are spoiling it for anyone else.  

For one thing, cultures differ in how much they like to make a visible show of their emotive state. This is particularly noticeable to people of an Anglo or northern European cultural background (such as myself) when visiting Latin American countries. A couple of times during my travels, I was asked by local people "What's wrong?" There was nothing wrong, but because I wasn't grinning from ear to ear they thought I must be miserable.

View Profile   IP Logged
DesertChaos
PTF Full Member

Reply #7 - 26. Jan 2012 at 22:23

Quote from arctangent on 23. Jan 2012 at 08:35:
5a) The-Stand-There-With-Your-Arms-Folded-Guy. Not as annoying as 5) but it always baffles me why they go to a gig and then stand there like a statue for the duration. They don't move, they don't sing, they don't shout, they don't clap. Do you not actually like the group? If you are not going to get into it, why not do us all a favour. Stay at home and listen to the CD instead.

I have to disagree with *most* of this one. Frankly, if I pay good $$ to see a concert I want to hear the artist sing, NOT the person next to me or behind me. There's usually a reason why he/she is singing on the stage and not you, so do us all a favor and save it for when in you're in the shower.

View Profile   IP Logged
arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #8 - 27. Jan 2012 at 08:26

Quote from DesertChaos on 26. Jan 2012 at 22:23:
Quote from arctangent on 23. Jan 2012 at 08:35:

I have to disagree with *most* of this one. Frankly, if I pay good $$ to see a concert I want to hear the artist sing, NOT the person next to me or behind me. There's usually a reason why he/she is singing on the stage and not you, so do us all a favor and save it for when in you're in the shower.

i have never been to a concert that was quiet enough to hear the person next to me singing along rather than the band on stage. maybe i'm wrong but it just seems to me that people who stand there with their arms folded don't look like they are enjoying the gig and i have read numerous interviews with bands who think uk (especially london) audiences are very hard to please because of the number of people they see standing with their arms folded. it looks to the band like they are not into it either. a lot of foreign bands seem not to enjoy playing london because of this.

maybe its because what i'm used to. porcupine tree are the softer end of the kind of music i like and go and see live. i guess for some pt are the heavier end of the gig scale and aren't so used to the moving/leaping about/singing/screaming gig goer.

DesertChaos
PTF Full Member

Reply #9 - 28. Jan 2012 at 05:00

Quote from arctangent on 27. Jan 2012 at 08:26:
i have never been to a concert that was quiet enough to hear the person next to me singing along rather than the band on stage. maybe i'm wrong but it just seems to me that people who stand there with their arms folded don't look like they are enjoying the gig

2 different things altogether. Moving around and getting into the music does not mean you need to sing out loud at the top of your lungs.

I've been going to gigs since the early 70's and have been to quite an assortment of "volumes." Yes, at a really loud gig it's not quite as annoying, but even at a mid-level of amplification I'd rather people keep it to themselves. In the more recent past, I was at a David Byrne gig and the yahoo in the row in front of me was singing *very* loudly and not very well. I had to tell him to stfu, which he did.

You can get into a show, and show the artists you are into it without being a total idiot. I was at the VdGG reunion show at the RFH in 2005 and I'd guess the tears in a few peoples eyes showed more than any yelling and screaming ever could.

View Profile   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #10 - 28. Jan 2012 at 07:39

I cannot stand those who don't abide by these simple 'laws' of respect and common sense; which they lack. f**king rude ass people.....the worst I have seen though have been in NYC, NYC concerts blow because of the crowds. My friend one time told one person off big time, and they shut up that night and went to the back.

View Profile   IP Logged
arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #11 - 30. Jan 2012 at 09:03

Quote from DesertChaos on 28. Jan 2012 at 05:00:
Quote from arctangent on 27. Jan 2012 at 08:26:
i have never been to a concert that was quiet enough to hear the person next to me singing along rather than the band on stage. maybe i'm wrong but it just seems to me that people who stand there with their arms folded don't look like they are enjoying the gig

2 different things altogether. Moving around and getting into the music does not mean you need to sing out loud at the top of your lungs.

i beg to differ. to me it does.

Quote from DesertChaos on 28. Jan 2012 at 05:00:
In the more recent past, I was at a David Byrne gig and the yahoo in the row in front of me was singing *very* loudly and not very well. I had to tell him to stfu, which he did.

i'd love to see you try that at a show by someone like ministry or neurosis. at the very least you'd probably be told to take a long walk off a short pier!  Wink

Black Dahlia
I've Donated!

Hmm..i'll get back
to you on that name.

Reply #12 - 06. Feb 2012 at 00:49

Sorry...late getting back to this.

Regarding the 'miserables', no, I don't believe you have to jump around and sing loudly as a show of excitement or, of enjoying yourself.

No, what really brings me down are the long faces and folded arms; combined with the looks of disapproval towards anyone who even claps enthusiastically. Remarking on Steven's London gig, last year, a friend remarked (on another board): "the people next to me were as lively as a bunch of withered flowers!" Luckily, I missed being near them on that occasion. 

Anyways, a twitter friend posted the following...thought it'd fit right in this thread:

http://tinyurl.com/7d93fhc

« Last Edit: 06. Feb 2012 at 16:38 by Black Dahlia »  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print