Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
27. Jun 2017 at 08:03
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
10 years ago (Read 4058 times)
Porcupine Field
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior

10 years ago
13. Jan 2012 at 00:03

In a few weeks time, it will be 10 years since the boys entered the studio to record 'In Absentia' !!

How time flies. (As so elequently stated on the incident album) SW was 35 back then, only a couple years older than I am now. What an album.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
katxron40
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

rain! rain!!!

Re: 10 years ago
Reply #1 - 13. Jan 2012 at 00:44

I was thinking about the 10-years-ago thing last Saturday, blasting it out while (finally) taking down the Christmas tree Roll Eyes. I had been at a local record store (small, independent. new/used vinyl and CD) earlier, and the proprietor (who was an old prog fan) and I were discussing music. He knew of SW because of the King Crimson remasters, but had never listened to any PT. He asked me which one to start with and I told him IA. I hadn't listened to it straight through in probably a year or more, but when it was over I remarked how outstanding an album it still is.

"do what you're gonna do, but until I change my mind, we're in C" - DT on bass guitar
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Keepa
PTF God
I've Donated!

Stay frosty!

Reply #2 - 13. Jan 2012 at 00:59

For me it is the album I judge all other albums by. I've always loved music, but I was in a dark place with music for a couple of years where nothing was interesting me. I picked this up and it literally changed how I view all art, not just music.

Email View Profile WWW http://www.myspace.com/mrkeepa   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #3 - 13. Jan 2012 at 02:13

It's a great album. Not my favorite by them, but probably in the top 5.

View Profile signify2metanoia   IP Logged
Rosettastoned729
PTF Junior

Reply #4 - 13. Jan 2012 at 02:41

Quote from Porcupine Field on 13. Jan 2012 at 00:03:
What an album.

I think this precisely sums up my sentiments about IA. It was the album that got me into PT enough to explore their future works as well as their back catalogue, and in my eyes their most musically and vocally diverse album to date. I happen to place it 2nd behind "Deadwing" on a personal scale at this point, but that's because I personally love metal, and the heavy riffing on "Deadwing" really does a lot for me (not to say "Deadwing" isn't diverse musically, too, though). Plus, I feel like Gavin came into his own with PT on "Deadwing" and further perfected his playing with them on FOABP (FOABP was my favourite PT album for this exact reason for ages, but now I'd place it third, behind IA behind DW).  

Anyway, my point is, despite PT generally being extremely diverse musically, it's not on many of their other works you'd find a song as beautiful, magical, and serene as "Collapse the Light into Earth", while the same album contains what is probably their 2nd heaviest song ever in "Strip the Soul". The only other work of theirs with this level of extreme diversity, like it or not, is "The Incident". I personally love "The Incident", but the transition from "Circle of Manias" to "I Drive the Hearse" is quite akin to "Strip the Soul" and its transition into "Collapse...". And this is not to say that "Deadwing", "FOABP", "Lightbulb Sun", etc., do not have their moments of diversity, but I personally feel IA and TI are their most "unique" works. However, if you could even use the term "cliched" about any of SW's work (which would be a horribly inaccurate term to use), GfD is by far the most experimental and least cliched work he's ever done, in my eyes.

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #5 - 13. Jan 2012 at 05:48

Just as long as they don't put out a special 10th anniversary commemorative re-release!

Although, if Drown with Me were included on it, I might be tempted.

View Profile   IP Logged
4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #6 - 13. Jan 2012 at 05:59

Ten years since Chris "left". F*cking hell, time does fly. (Although I think the actual announcement was made on 12th April)

View Profile wp____ www.myspace.com/lavenderpoland   IP Logged
Simon
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - 13. Jan 2012 at 08:13

Quote from 4ctmam on 13. Jan 2012 at 05:59:
Ten years since Chris "left". F*cking hell, time does fly. (Although I think the actual announcement was made on 12th April)

Yeah!  I thought the band was finished when I first read that. Now 10 years later look at all the PT activity we have  Grin

Carbon Nation - The Independent Porcupine Tree magazine. CN10 out now! www.carbon-nation.co.uk
View Profile WWW carbon_nation   IP Logged
Blackfield_Tree
yhW?

Reply #8 - 13. Jan 2012 at 12:17

Quote from Keepa on 13. Jan 2012 at 00:59:
For me it is the album I judge all other albums by. I've always loved music, but I was in a dark place with music for a couple of years where nothing was interesting me. I picked this up and it literally changed how I view all art, not just music.

How extraordinary Smiley that is exactly my story too

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
AussieAlex
PTF Newbie

Reply #9 - 22. Jan 2012 at 05:46

Gavin Harrison taking over from Chris was one of the best things to happen to PT.
Gavin has a lot more variety and skill in his playing then Chris and I like the sound of his drums and cymbals much better (Chris's ride almost ruins any earlier recordings for me!! Seriously.) As well as that, the mixing of Gav's drums is is also nicer. Much nicer.
PT would not have the overall sound they have if not for Gav. He helps make them the amazing band they are.
(I am a drummer of 12 years and own nearly all PT and SW's commercially-released recordings, just for the record).

10 years since IA... I can't wait to hear there next work to see how they've changes since!

View Profile   IP Logged
feuerbach
PTF Senior

Reply #10 - 22. Jan 2012 at 20:32

Quote from AussieAlex on 22. Jan 2012 at 05:46:
Chris's ride almost ruins any earlier recordings for me!! Seriously.

as much as I respect different tastes, that's just way over the top and very disrespectful towards Chris, because I don't think this statement can be exemplified...

View Profile   IP Logged
Westsiyeed
PTF Junior

Reply #11 - 24. Jan 2012 at 23:09

Quote from Blackfield_Tree on 13. Jan 2012 at 12:17:
Quote from Keepa on 13. Jan 2012 at 00:59:

How extraordinary Smiley that is exactly my story too

Pretty much the same for me too! I've always been a lover of music, primarily the harder and heavier type, but it had been a couple of years and nothing new was really interesting me. Hearing IA rekindled my interest in music (I remember being blown away be "Gravity Eyelids" at the time), and since then have been much more active in music and delved much further into a genre (more progressive music) I hadn't before. This has led me to discover and love bands like Opeth, OSI, Devin Townsend, Mastodon, Frost*, Leprous, etc etc as well.

View Profile   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #12 - 25. Jan 2012 at 00:47

Gavin Harrison taking over from Chris was one of the best things to happen to PT.
Gavin has a lot more variety and skill in his playing then Chris and I like the sound of his drums and cymbals much better (Chris's ride almost ruins any earlier recordings for me!! Seriously.) As well as that, the mixing of Gav's drums is is also nicer. Much nicer.
PT would not have the overall sound they have if not for Gav. He helps make them the amazing band they are.
(I am a drummer of 12 years and own nearly all PT and SW's commercially-released recordings, just for the record).

10 years since IA... I can't wait to hear there next work to see how they've changes since!

I disagree with most of this. Actually, I think Metanoia has the best sounding drums out of any PT record.

4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #13 - 25. Jan 2012 at 05:55

Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 25. Jan 2012 at 00:47:

I disagree with most of this. Actually, I think Metanoia has the best sounding drums out of any PT record.

Yeah, the drums on Metanoia sound splendid. Most of you will know that I always stick out for Chris and this is no exception! Anyway and I have to point out that the ride comment is just weird. But if you feel this way, you have the right to, of course.

NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #14 - 25. Jan 2012 at 06:17

Quote from 4ctmam on 25. Jan 2012 at 05:55:
Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 25. Jan 2012 at 00:47:

Yeah, the drums on Metanoia sound splendid. Most of you will know that I always stick out for Chris and this is no exception! Anyway and I have to point out that the ride comment is just weird. But if you feel this way, you have the right to, of course.

I agree with the first statement: "Gavin Harrison taking over from Chris was one of the best things to happen to PT."

That is very true, PT could not have done what they have without Gavin. He has more variety and methodology in his drumming...and I think it fits Steven's musical seriousness quite well. I'm not confident that Chris would have been able to evolve with the band.

I don't know if we'll ever know the real reason why Chris left, I've heard so many reasons....but one reason I have heard/read several times was that Chris didn't agree with the direction the band was going in w/ 'In Absentia', he wanted to sorta stay in a musical 'limbo' state, yet Steven wanted to advance and change the sound. If true, it gives some truth that maybe Chris truly wouldn't be able to evolve with the band.

Chris is not a bad drummer, he is good....but not anywhere high on my favorite list. His drumming on the records is great and not overdone at all. But his live drumming bothers me, I have trouble listening to Warzawa and Coma Divine because of his drumming....I think I have been spoiled too much by Gavin's drumming (quality and sound).

10 years later: Gavin has now been with PT longer than Chris, he is also on more official recordings (studio and live). Gavin will always be the prominent PT drummer for me.

View Profile   IP Logged
4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #15 - 25. Jan 2012 at 13:24

Quote from NightCreeper on 25. Jan 2012 at 06:17:

I agree with the first statement: "Gavin Harrison taking over from Chris was one of the best things to happen to PT."

That is very true, PT could not have done what they have without Gavin.

This all just an opinion. Besides, who knows what might have happened.

NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #16 - 25. Jan 2012 at 18:03

Quote from 4ctmam on 25. Jan 2012 at 13:24:

That is very true, PT could not have done what they have without Gavin.

This all just an opinion. Besides, who knows what might have happened.

Your right, everyone feels differently on the subject.

And who knows what would've happened, maybe an alternate universe exists out there!

View Profile   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #17 - 25. Jan 2012 at 18:59

That is very true, PT could not have done what they have without Gavin. He has more variety and methodology in his drumming...and I think it fits Steven's musical seriousness quite well. I'm not confident that Chris would have been able to evolve with the band.

I don't know if we'll ever know the real reason why Chris left, I've heard so many reasons....but one reason I have heard/read several times was that Chris didn't agree with the direction the band was going in w/ 'In Absentia', he wanted to sorta stay in a musical 'limbo' state, yet Steven wanted to advance and change the sound. If true, it gives some truth that maybe Chris truly wouldn't be able to evolve with the band

I really doubt Chris (or any decent drummer for that matter) would have struggled with any of the new material. What people don't realize is that structurally, PT's music is for the most part, quite simple. Would the drums have been different and would the flavors of the songs been different? Absolutely. For better or for worse? That would be up to personal preference. I think that is why I SOMETIMES find Gavin's drumming distasteful; he tries to make something that is relatively simple into something needlessly complex. Don't get me wrong though, he is a fantastic drummer with unparalleled technique... There is no disputing that for me.

You analysis is correct with the last statement I quoted if that was indeed the reason he left, however, that was only one of several possible explanations for his departure... Indeed we will probably never know the full truth of the matter.

To be honest, FOR ME, ever since Chris left the quality of PT has decreased (I still LOVE them though, but just comparatively). Not that there is necessarily an absolute correlation between the two separate events, but it does make me look back upon the pre IA eras with even more fondness...

4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #18 - 26. Jan 2012 at 05:57

Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 25. Jan 2012 at 18:59:

I really doubt Chris (or any decent drummer for that matter) would have struggled with any of the new material. What people don't realize is that structurally, PT's music is for the most part, quite simple. Would the drums have been different and would the flavors of the songs been different? Absolutely. For better or for worse? That would be up to personal preference. I think that is why I SOMETIMES find Gavin's drumming distasteful; he tries to make something that is relatively simple into something needlessly complex. Don't get me wrong though, he is a fantastic drummer with unparalleled technique... There is no disputing that for me.

(...)

To be honest, FOR ME, ever since Chris left the quality of PT has decreased (I still LOVE them though, but just comparatively). Not that there is necessarily an absolute correlation between the two separate events, but it does make me look back upon the pre IA eras with even more fondness...

I know I'm being very predictable right now but I just have to say that these are pretty much my thoughts as well. Of course, I'm in the minority here but it's always good to be reminded that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print