Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
27. Jun 2017 at 08:06
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Does Steven Wilson think Pearl Jam is crap? (Read 10784 times)
spiritualarchitect
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Newbie

... when the Earth
will be at peace
once again

Does Steven Wilson think Pearl Jam is crap?
12. Jan 2012 at 18:11

"He's in a band, they SOUND like Pearl Jam

The music is crap"  

To me it's clear as day that he says Pearl Jam sounds like crap.  

And just because she made him listen to "The Bends" all the time does not mean he likes Radiohead.  

Can someone show me some proof of him liking either band?

We are about to return from whence we came
View Profile   IP Logged
eclipsis
yhW?

Re: Does Steven Wilson think Pearl Jam is crap?
Reply #1 - 12. Jan 2012 at 18:25

I don't know how about Pearl Jam but as far as I know he loves Radiohead though I read somewhere he thinks they're a little bit overrated which is understandable.

Check out my experimental-rock project Neural Corrosion. Thank you for listening!
View Profile   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #2 - 12. Jan 2012 at 18:25

Fear of a Blank Planet was more of a commentary album written from the perspective of teens obsessed with drugs, ipods, popular culture, etc. And even if it was written from SW's perspective, the line seems to more imply that bands that copy each other are crap (the band sounds like crap because they try to sound like Pearl Jam instead of doing their own thing).

As for whether or not he actually likes Pearl Jam, I am not sure. I get the sense that he wasn't too big a fan of the Seattle grunge scene.

It is a well known fact that SW loves Radiohead, as he mentions them in interviews all the time, has their albums on his playlist, etc.

View Profile signify2metanoia   IP Logged
feuerbach
PTF Senior

Reply #3 - 12. Jan 2012 at 23:13

Quote from spiritualarchitect on 12. Jan 2012 at 18:11:
To me it's clear as day that he says Pearl Jam sounds like crap.

no not at all! just think of the post grunge genre (e.g. Creed, Nickelback), where a lot of bands sound a lot like Pearl Jam an the likes and a lot of bands are crap. but this does not mean PJ is crap. good bands can get copied badly... Wink

btw, wasn't there another thread on this topic?

View Profile   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #4 - 12. Jan 2012 at 23:58

Yeah never took it as SW not liking pearl jam as its from the teenagers point of view.

If anything it may be to serve as an ironic comment, to show how 'lost' for lack of a better word these kids are, you know, the comment is a back handed slap at the kids saying they dont know what good music is, he probably loves his rave music or something and doesnt appreciate a quality band such as pearl jam?

Not saying thats what the intention of the line was at all, but its one way of looking at it.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #5 - 13. Jan 2012 at 05:37

^^ The other thing is that "Nickelback" or "Creed" instead of "Pearl Jam" at that point in the song would not have scanned - try singing it.  Grin

"Japan" would have fitted nicely, but Steven probably likes Japan, and in any case he is hardly in a position to badmouth Japan with Richard looking over his shoulder.

Pearl Jam is a good example of a band that attracts fanboys and fangirls, people who regard the band as semi-gods who can do no wrong. I think Pearl jam are a decent enough band, but the way some of their fans act, I swear that PJ could put out an album of fart noises and they would still rush to buy and download it  and send it to the top of the charts.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mrguy
PTF Senior

[Something clever or
witty]

Reply #6 - 13. Jan 2012 at 09:40

Sounds like some of the fans of another band starting with P, eh Bob?

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #7 - 13. Jan 2012 at 11:53

Quote from Mrguy on 13. Jan 2012 at 09:40:
Sounds like some of the fans of another band starting with P, eh Bob?

Headgear is to be worn on heads of the correct size.

View Profile   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #8 - 13. Jan 2012 at 12:48

Quote from bob_32_116 on 13. Jan 2012 at 05:37:
I swear that PJ could put out an album of fart noises and they would still rush to buy and download it  and send it to the top of the charts.

I'm not the biggest PJ fan, but this is hardly a unique trait to their fanbase...

View Profile signify2metanoia   IP Logged
PimPong
PTF God

Reply #9 - 13. Jan 2012 at 13:36

I agree that the comment isn't about PJ as it is about the bands that try to sound like PJ.  

I love the early PJ work. I have been rediscovering Vs., and in my opinion, it's a diverse album that doesn't sound dated. I have struggled to get into anything that they released in this century (that sounds kind of cruel), but they solidified their place in history with their early albums.

View Profile   IP Logged
bodiesinflight57
PTF Junior

the voice of reason

Reply #10 - 13. Jan 2012 at 16:25

Pearl Jam > Porcupine Tree

Tongue

Sorry, someone had to say it  

Grin

So now the tears come easily and she
She promises to change her ways
But it's not about what you do
It's who you are that matters these days
View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #11 - 13. Jan 2012 at 17:13

Quote from bodiesinflight57 on 13. Jan 2012 at 16:25:
Pearl Jam > Porcupine Tree

Maybe, maybe not.

The Sonical Jam, however, are crap.

View Profile   IP Logged
whizzbang
yhW?

Reply #12 - 13. Jan 2012 at 20:14

Quote from Mrguy on 13. Jan 2012 at 09:40:
I swear that PJ could put out an album of fart noises and they would still rush to buy and download it and send it to the top of the charts.

I feel the same way about Radiohead.  

'No sir, I didn't like it' (Mr. Horse on Ren and Stimpy)

View Profile   IP Logged
Rosettastoned729
PTF Junior

Reply #13 - 15. Jan 2012 at 03:30

Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 12. Jan 2012 at 18:25:
Fear of a Blank Planet was more of a commentary album written from the perspective of teens obsessed with drugs, ipods, popular culture, etc. And even if it was written from SW's perspective, the line seems to more imply that bands that copy each other are crap (the band sounds like crap because they try to sound like Pearl Jam instead of doing their own thing).

As for whether or not he actually likes Pearl Jam, I am not sure. I get the sense that he wasn't too big a fan of the Seattle grunge scene.

It is a well known fact that SW loves Radiohead, as he mentions them in interviews all the time, has their albums on his playlist, etc.

This pretty much sums up exactly how I've always interpreted that line. It's the mainstream, generic, cliche "radio rock" bands, like Nickelback, Creed, and Staind to name a few, who all happen to be gimmicky and less talented attempts at copies of Pearl Jam, who SW actually seemed to be ripping on. And again, the album was from a troubled teenager's perspective, so he's not even personally ripping on those bands (although I wish he were).  

Also, I agree that I couldn't see SW as a fan of grunge music. I don't blame him if he's not. I mean, I'm personally am a huge Alice in Chains fan from a vocal, instrumental, and compositional perspective, but I think bands like Pearl Jam and Nirvana were grossly overrated. I know many will shake their heads at such a statement, but honestly, I acknowledge those bands could both write some catchy, amazing tunes, and both those bands (particularly PJ) did have musical talent and a unique sound. But alas, they're just not my cup of tea. There's something different and special about Alice in Chains for me separating them from the rest of the bands to emerge from the Seattle grunge scene. Maybe it's that they were/are more metallic, or maybe it's that they were/are more diverse in my eyes (going from songs ranging in styles like "Them Bones" to "Nutshell" do proves that), but who knows? Anyway though, with SW's roots being in 70's prog like Floyd, Crimson, etc, etc, etc, and with his later discovery of extreme metal like Opeth and Meshuggah which he added to his influences, I don't see grunge fitting in. Granted, his tastes are far, far more diverse than just progressive rock and extreme metal, but I agree that I don't hear a slight hint of grunge in his music. Oddly enough though, I played a friend at school "The Start of Something Beautiful" to try to introduce them to PT, and the first thing they said came to their mind when the heavy section (the chorus) came in was in fact grunge and not hard rock or metal. I don't personally see it, but that was the first time I'd heard anyone interpret anything PT or SW-related as grunge or grungy-sounding.

View Profile   IP Logged
Lord_Jagged
PTF Junior

Reply #14 - 15. Jan 2012 at 09:50

Pearl Jam is a good example of a band that attracts fanboys and fangirls, people who regard the band as semi-gods who can do no wrong. I think Pearl jam are a decent enough band, but the way some of their fans act, I swear that PJ could put out an album of fart noises and they would still rush to buy and download it and send it to the top of the charts.

Pot

Kettle

Black

Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #15 - 15. Jan 2012 at 11:52

Quote from Lord_Jagged on 15. Jan 2012 at 09:50:
Pearl Jam is a good example of a band that attracts fanboys and fangirls, people who regard the band as semi-gods who can do no wrong. I think Pearl jam are a decent enough band, but the way some of their fans act, I swear that PJ could put out an album of fart noises and they would still rush to buy and download it  and send it to the top of the charts.  

Pot

Kettle

Black

Wink

Please explain?

View Profile   IP Logged
SufferingFromNostalgia
yhW?
I've Donated!

I Still Wave At The
Dots On The Shore

Reply #16 - 15. Jan 2012 at 12:20

Quote from bob_32_116 on 15. Jan 2012 at 11:52:

Pot

Kettle

Black

Wink

Please explain?

i think what Lord is saying is that there are exactly those kind of fans of SW/PT with the belief that anything that's released (no pun here), even gas from the a** would be considered a masterpiece.  

bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #17 - 15. Jan 2012 at 12:52

Quote from SufferingFromNostalgia on 15. Jan 2012 at 12:20:
Quote from bob_32_116 on 15. Jan 2012 at 11:52:

Pot

Kettle

Black

Wink

Please explain?

i think what Lord is saying is that there are exactly those kind of fans of SW/PT with the belief that anything that's released (no pun here), even gas from the a** would be considered a masterpiece.  

Possibly - but I am not one of them, as Lord jJgged would know if he had many of my past posts.

View Profile   IP Logged
Lord_Jagged
PTF Junior

Reply #18 - 15. Jan 2012 at 22:47

Quote from bob_32_116 on 15. Jan 2012 at 12:52:
Possibly - but I am not one of them, as Lord jJgged would know if he had many of my past posts.  

Absolutely. I would never use a phrase like "pompous, pretentious twat" to describe Saint Steven either.

And nor would you.  Wink

"Just like its renowned predecessor, still regarded by him as an all-time favourite in his oeuvre, the new album turns spatial relations upside down, with otherworldly fields of microscopic crackle hovering in the foreground, as cavernous drones ominously flow underneath like steaming streams of molten metal, and, for the first time in Bass Communion history, these mysterious cycles are propelled by a slow, brooding rhythmical pulse. As he puts it himself "the sound is amorphous, spectral, "old", like clouds of rust and decay. It's ghosts hovering above the tower. Music that broods and transforms the room you play it in into a place where time stands still..."

Translated:

Some sh*t I knocked off while waiting for my pizza to arrive. The bloke next door was doing some DIY, so I taped that and mixed it with the audio from a de-tuned television Lasse had melted with a blow torch for the cover of a future PT album. Must look in the dictionary under "hyperbole"....

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #19 - 16. Jan 2012 at 01:51

Clearly you have me confused with someone else, Lord_Jagged.

View Profile   IP Logged
Lord_Jagged
PTF Junior

Reply #20 - 16. Jan 2012 at 07:03

I don't think I'm the one that's confused somehow....

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #21 - 16. Jan 2012 at 11:12

Quote from Lord_Jagged on 16. Jan 2012 at 07:03:
I don't think I'm the one that's confused somehow....

If that's what you think, then maybe you can enlighten us all by stating the source of that quote about Bass Communion, which you seem to be attributing to me.Either way, stop attacking me on the forum.

View Profile   IP Logged
Carl_ash
PTF Full Member

Reply #22 - 16. Jan 2012 at 14:21

calm down both of you its only music

View Profile   IP Logged
arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #23 - 17. Jan 2012 at 08:41

i always took the line to mean that all the pearl jam copiers (puddle of mud, creed, etc) were crap rather than pearl jam themselves. its also, i feel, a shot at those who just blindly copy a sound/scene rather than trying to create something themselves. and of course pearl jam fits into the lyrics. you'd have trouble fitting dimmu borgir or rammstein in and making it scan!  Wink

and anyway, what does it matter if steven does think pearl jam are crap? everyone has their own opinions. i happen to like them and they have been stunning every time i've seen them live, especially at brixton academy when they previewed vs. each to their own and all that.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky,
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves,
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still,
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh*ts...
Tree_Frog
yhW?

Reply #24 - 19. Jan 2012 at 21:03

I doubt he thinks Pearl Jam sounds like crap.  There is a song on either Insurgentes or the bonus disc of Insurgentes that screams Pearl Jam (guitars).

View Profile   IP Logged
spiritualarchitect
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Newbie

... when the Earth
will be at peace
once again

Reply #25 - 20. Jan 2012 at 00:33

Thanks for the comments. Wherever I look on the web for this the opinions are divided. It seems he does not like grunge though. If he has Radiohead on his playlist then he must like them.

We are about to return from whence we came
View Profile   IP Logged
PeppermanL2K
PTF Junior

Reply #26 - 20. Jan 2012 at 05:26

OK, I'll say it... Pearl Jam are INDEED crap. Decent enough musicians, but Eddie Vedder can't. sing. Period. The most pretentious, annoying vocal twaddle EVAR... There...  Wink  Grin

fanboy135
PTF Junior

Reply #27 - 20. Jan 2012 at 08:26

i don´t think so. i read in another forum that someone watched pearl jam at a festival a few years ago and steven wilson was beside him Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Tree_Frog
yhW?

Reply #28 - 23. Jan 2012 at 17:37

I think it is No Twilight in the Courts of the Sun that heavily sounds like the guitars from Temple of the Dog/Pearl Jam ten.

If you are into that music, I'm sure you would know what I mean.  Very grungy and definitely reminds me of that era of Pearl Jam/Temple of the Dog.

There is one or two off the bonus disc that heavily sound like God Lives Underwater (90s industrial band).

View Profile   IP Logged
loucap81
PTF Junior

Reply #29 - 24. Jan 2012 at 03:54

Quote from PeppermanL2K on 20. Jan 2012 at 05:26:
OK, I'll say it... Pearl Jam are INDEED crap. Decent enough musicians, but Eddie Vedder can't. sing. Period. The most pretentious, annoying vocal twaddle EVAR... There...  Wink  Grin

I don't think they're crap but they're MASSIVELY overrated. I don't get what's so great about them, they're just another rock band as far as I'm concerned.

View Profile   IP Logged
loucap81
PTF Junior

Reply #30 - 24. Jan 2012 at 03:58

Quote from Tree_Frog on 23. Jan 2012 at 17:37:
I think it is No Twilight in the Courts of the Sun that heavily sounds like the guitars from Temple of the Dog/Pearl Jam ten.

If you are into that music, I'm sure you would know what I mean.  Very grungy and definitely reminds me of that era of Pearl Jam/Temple of the Dog.

There is one or two off the bonus disc that heavily sound like God Lives Underwater (90s industrial band).

Wow I'm not the only one here who's heard of GLU. I remember buying "Empty" and their first EP when I was 15 years old. Both of those records had some catchy songs on them.

View Profile   IP Logged
fanboy135
PTF Junior

Reply #31 - 26. Jan 2012 at 08:07

eddie vedder can´t sing  Shocked

he has got one of the emotionalest voice on this planet  Smiley
beside this the band is def. one of the best live bands. albums are ok, but live they are breathtaking  Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print