Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
29. Jun 2017 at 11:38
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Blackfield IV (Read 12433 times)
InsaneKat
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior

I'll never let you
go...

Blackfield IV
03. Jan 2012 at 16:26

From SW's Facebook page:

Quote:
Folks, just to clarify news elsewhere of a new Blackfield album coming this year - please note that this time my involvement will be as a contributor rather than a member. I will still be mixing the album, and maybe sing on a couple of Aviv's songs (there will be other guest singers I understand), but with my complete blessing Blackfield is now under his sole curatorship, a process which really began with Welcome to My DNA.

Interesting news...

This is a barren body It is made of wood and stone This is a fragile heart and It is to be left alone
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Re: Blackfield IV
Reply #1 - 03. Jan 2012 at 16:44

Interesting indeed...

I can't really blame Aviv at all. To me it was clear from the beginning Aviv wanted to make Blackfield something big, and SW just wasn't able to commit enough time into it. I thought WTMDNA was fantastic, so I have high hopes for BF4.

View Profile signify2metanoia   IP Logged
Stone
PTF Full Member

5.1 Surrounded.

Reply #2 - 03. Jan 2012 at 16:54

"Let me clarify : all forthcoming Steven Wilson solo records will see me featured as a contributor only. I selected several jazz musicians and let them play whatever they wanted together while I recorded the whole thing. I will add vocals as a guest on "Raider 4", and will create the surround mixes - well at least the first one. My collaboration album with Mickey needs all of my time now, so with my complete blessing all Steven Wilson music is now under Lasse Hoile's curatorship."

Email View Profile   IP Logged
eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #3 - 03. Jan 2012 at 16:57

That's great news! No more wasting time with Blackfield.

Check out my experimental-rock project Neural Corrosion. Thank you for listening!
View Profile   IP Logged
DesertChaos
PTF Full Member

Reply #4 - 03. Jan 2012 at 17:12

For me, if it's not a real collaborative effort then it's not really Blackfield anymore. Though I liked the DNA album it's certainly was not as good as the first two (I think the songs did come across better live where they had a bit more punch) and his decreased involvement in the record really showed. Aviv writes some really good stuff so I'm not writing off the whole project, but it'll be a little different for sure and when more details of the "guest singers" is known maybe things will get interesting.

View Profile   IP Logged
papapk
PTF Junior

Reply #5 - 03. Jan 2012 at 17:21

Thank god. Blackfield has, to me, always been the least interesting project Steven has been involved with, so stepping back and not using that much time on it anymore is good news. At least to me.

View Profile   IP Logged
rtptfan
yhW?

AUG. 20 MEMPHIS, TN

Reply #6 - 03. Jan 2012 at 17:30

Quote from Stone on 03. Jan 2012 at 16:54:
"Let me clarify : all forthcoming Steven Wilson solo records will see me featured as a contributor only. I selected several jazz musicians and let them play whatever they wanted together while I recorded the whole thing. I will add vocals as a guest on "Raider 4", and will create the surround mixes - well at least the first one. My collaboration album with Mickey needs all of my time now, so with my complete blessing all Steven Wilson music is now under Lasse Hoile's curatorship."

Smiley

August 20, 2010 - a day that will live in memory
Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
The Green Man
PTF Junior

Sheffield, UK

Reply #7 - 03. Jan 2012 at 17:44

I see there has already been a fair bit of dismissal on SW's official Facebook page.  I'm prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt.  SW is still a contributor, so I'm sure his distinctive mark will be on it.

Die widdly prog! Die!
Email View Profile The Green Man   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #8 - 03. Jan 2012 at 18:14

I'm upset, i actually love Blackfield. I like the simplicity of the songs and the tone of the music.

It is disappointing to hear Steven is basically no longer part of Blackfield, I now feel lucky that I saw them live last year. Because who knows if they'll tour again, at least with SW.

As others said, without SW its not really Blackfield....

I assume Avic approached Steven saying he had a lot of new material and if he was interested in doing an album this year. SW prob told Aviv his pallet was full and to do it himself, but he'd mix it and maybe sing.

I hope SW sings on more than a few songs....because without his presence, it definitely isn't Blackfield.

View Profile   IP Logged
Raziel666
PTF Junior

Infinite Moonloops

Reply #9 - 03. Jan 2012 at 18:25

Seems like SW is abandoning his projects, one by one! Grin

It remains to be seen if PT actually escape this fate...

What will that mean for Blackfield? Maybe nothing, maybe lots of things. We still don't know the degree of SW's involvement. I have to say though, that Blackfield was the least favourite of SW's projects. The first record was great, the second was good and the third... well it could have been better.

So, this means more free time for SW! Not that he will rest or sth., I'm sure he will find something musically exciting to throw himself into! Wink

Edit: Well, since SW is semi-abandoning this project, what's the point of using the name Blackfield, since it's essentially an Aviv Geffen solo effort? Hm...

Brighter Death Now

エルゴ プラクシー
死の代理人
Ergo Proxy
The Agent Of Death
View Profile   IP Logged
Blackfield_Tree
yhW?

Reply #10 - 03. Jan 2012 at 18:38

Well, this most probably means the end of Blackfield for me. Without SWs songwriting input that project does nothing for me, if WTMD is a textbook example of what to expect in the future. Too bad. I enjoyed the first two records

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Et in Arcadia Ego
PTF God

Les fleurs du mal

Reply #11 - 03. Jan 2012 at 18:47

Quote from papapk on 03. Jan 2012 at 17:21:
Thank god. Blackfield has, to me, always been the least interesting project Steven has been involved with, so stepping back and not using that much time on it anymore is good news. At least to me.

And to me, as well. Perhaps now there is some light on the No-Man horizon.

I'm a postmodern vegetarian - I eat meat ironically.
4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #12 - 03. Jan 2012 at 18:49

Quote from Raziel666 on 03. Jan 2012 at 18:25:

Well, since SW is semi-abandoning this project, what's the point of using the name Blackfield, since it's essentially an Aviv Geffen solo effort? Hm...

My thoughts exactly. BF was always about SW and Aviv, with Aviv being the main songwriter and SW as the main performer (main singer/guitarist).

View Profile wp____ www.myspace.com/lavenderpoland   IP Logged
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Reply #13 - 03. Jan 2012 at 19:10

From what it sounds like, nothing much will change. I mean, let's be honest now, a hefty portion of BF's songs were Aviv's (reworkings of old songs in English or new ones).  

If this means more of SW's time spent elsewhere (No-man please!), then even better -- I'll agree with those here who've said BF was their least favorite SW output.

View Profile   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #14 - 03. Jan 2012 at 19:18

The only reason I could see the name Blackfield being kept....is as a favor to Aviv. More albums will be sold that way, rather thank marketing it as a Aviv solo record with guest musicians including SW.

View Profile   IP Logged
sincity
PTF Newbie

Reply #15 - 03. Jan 2012 at 19:46

Think Blackfield will ship less units without Wilson even if he contributes to the writing and singing. Welcome to my DNA was a bit of a let down but the gig in Manchester was a fantastic concert. Shame. And this news confirms my suspicion that SW is gearing up for a career as a solo artist without the restrictions of "being in a band Sad

View Profile   IP Logged
trirepetae
PTF Junior

Reply #16 - 03. Jan 2012 at 20:02

Well, I can't say I'm disappointed by these news. The first album showed a lot of promise, but I just liked two or three songs on the second one, and none on WTMDNA. In my opinion, this band was a creative dead end for SW. Hopefully, the pop sensibilities will return to PT music now that he is not involved in Blackfield anymore.

View Profile   IP Logged
Marty50
PTF Newbie

Reply #17 - 03. Jan 2012 at 20:22

I would like SW to do a film score.

View Profile   IP Logged
Radikal_Dreamer
PTF Senior

Reply #18 - 03. Jan 2012 at 21:08

I do like Aviv's songwriting, for the most part. So I'm sure it'll be nice. I liked Welcome to My DNA. It wasn't as good as the first two, but there were some really great songs in there. I wish Aviv was a better lyricist, though, since that tends to be the thing that drags them down. And usually SW's songs are the best on the discs.

I wonder if this'll mean PT returns to a more song oriented approach. I don't want SW to abandon those songs. Without Blackfield as an outlet he'll have to do something with them. And, I think I remember an interview saying he wanted to return to the song oriented approach with PT. If something like that happens because of this, then that's cool.

Simon
Global Moderator

Reply #19 - 03. Jan 2012 at 21:37

Quote from Marty50 on 03. Jan 2012 at 20:22:

And he'd love to do one, but as far as I'm aware no one has approached him. He's sadly still under the radar in the film world to be asked to write scores. Look how long it took Trent Reznor to get into this genre...

Carbon Nation - The Independent Porcupine Tree magazine. CN10 out now! www.carbon-nation.co.uk
View Profile WWW carbon_nation   IP Logged
Working_Man
PTF Newbie

Reply #20 - 03. Jan 2012 at 21:46

Dissapointed.
I don't feel this should be marketed as Blackfield.
all the negative comments about the end of PT now feel very possible.
I really hope not. Sad

View Profile   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #21 - 03. Jan 2012 at 23:05

Also disappointed as I love Blackfield. Blackfield II was higher than Fear of A Blank Planet for me in 2007. Not saying it's "better" in any way, i just loved that album

WDNA was a little disappointing to me and I couldnt help wonder if it was due to SW reduced input, so BF4 you would think would be equally disappointing (in comparrison to the first 2 albums - however in comparrison to a lot of albums out there in general it was still really good IMO)

Personally, i would still get the new BF, I have often considered seeking out Aviv's solo material. Whilst I tend to believe SW input was a strong reason for BF strength in material, it was NEVER his input alone, Aviv does write good songs, and its a bit of a shame actually that it appears many people seem perhaps too dismissive that at the very least, a BF album without any SW, might actually be a decent album still.  

I guess It really depends if essentially you liked the whole concept of BF and the whole 3 min pop song idealogy. If it was never really your thing, then makes sense you wouldnt have any interest in the project without SW input. Personally I think there is an art to writing a catchy pop song and can be - I stress "can" be as difficult to write successfully as a 20 minute epic prog piece.  

I would agree most likely Aviv didnt want to wait a whole cycle of Storm Corrossion and new PT album etc before he got a chance to make another Blackfield, probably asked Steven if they can make another album sooner, and SW just couldnt commit to it.

if Steven ends up singing on some tracks I will have to get it. Who knows, SW may return to Blackfield in a greater capacity again one day in the future.

whizzbang
yhW?

Reply #22 - 03. Jan 2012 at 23:41

I second that wish.  I would drop everything, go to film school, become a writer/director (like James Cameron), produce a film - just to be able to choose SW to score it.   Ahh, fantasies.....

View Profile   IP Logged
xylem1
PTF God

Open the pod bay
doors, Hal.

Reply #23 - 04. Jan 2012 at 00:09

Quote from whizzbang on 03. Jan 2012 at 23:41:
I second that wish. I would drop everything, go to film school, become a writer/director (like James Cameron), produce a film - just to be able to choose SW to score it. Ahh, fantasies.....

Me too whizzbang...me too  Grin

http://excavationsofsound.blogspot.com/
Prog/metal/ambient reviews
Email View Profile WWW xylem89   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #24 - 04. Jan 2012 at 03:27

Quote from Working_Man on 03. Jan 2012 at 21:46:

Not very disappointing as I didn't enjoy BF III as much as the first 2 albums. I guess is time to move on to new projects.

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Reply #25 - 04. Jan 2012 at 04:05

I would tend to think the opposite -- with one less 'major' project for SW to divide his attention with, I'd think his other ones would get more.

View Profile   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #26 - 04. Jan 2012 at 05:27

Quote from Simon on 03. Jan 2012 at 21:37:

And he'd love to do one, but as far as I'm aware no one has approached him. He's sadly still under the radar in the film world to be asked to write scores. Look how long it took Trent Reznor to get into this genre...

I think doing film scores will be something after his career making music is over. He has mentioned age 50 would be a time he might stop making his own music (specifically singing) and concentrate on producing/writing for others/mixing. That would be the perfect time for him to compose (if he can get offers).

Dissapointed.
I really hope not. Sad

I hope not and I don't think that would happen.

More realistically, this could all be building up to one more final PT album, with a final farewell tour. That is more likely to happen than PT completely disbanding.

View Profile   IP Logged
feuerbach
PTF Senior

Reply #27 - 04. Jan 2012 at 08:41

nothing too tragic. all my favourite BF songs were written by Aviv and almost all SW tracks had just b-side quality imo. the only thing is, that the combination Aviv's songs + Steven's voice and production almost was the essence of Blackfield. especially if Steven won't produce it anymore it could turn out just as an Aviv solo album under a different name. let's see...

View Profile   IP Logged
antithema
PTF God

I wish I didn't know
now what I never
knew then

Reply #28 - 04. Jan 2012 at 10:16

Will just have to wait and see, well listen to it.
I surely liked the 1st album most, but DNA was probably better for me than Blackfield 2 (only a few were good there).
Its not fair to judge without having something on our hands. Avivs solo album had a few great songs as well and I am sure there will be more than a few great songs on IV.

View Profile   IP Logged
zakath
PTF Junior

Reply #29 - 04. Jan 2012 at 11:22

Like rats from a sinking ship.. Although can't blame steven. I would have bailed too after the horrible album that was WTMD.

Roll Eyes

feuerbach
PTF Senior

Reply #30 - 04. Jan 2012 at 11:38

@zakath: well Blackfield are becoming more popular with every album and hit the UK charts with DNA for the first time! so where's the sinking ship? the fact that some consider it "horrible" (I consider it the opposite) doesn't has to do with sinking transportation means... Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Roksoff
PTF Full Member

Reply #31 - 04. Jan 2012 at 12:11

Not really bothered by this news. DNA didnt register with me at all.

As for film scores a collaborative with Lisa Gerrard film score stalwart would be interesting.

http://www.thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/index.php
InsaneKat
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior

I'll never let you
go...

Reply #32 - 04. Jan 2012 at 17:11

I would lean away from this meaning that PT is done. Since some have mentioned how Aviv writes more songs for Blackfield, especially on the most recent album, maybe SW feels that him stepping back/away won't be SIGNIFICANTLY different than it was previously. Whereas in PT he is the main songwriter.  

It sounds more like he wants to focus on his solo, as well as be a producer/mixer of albums. I believe he mentioned it recently in an interview (or two?) that he really enjoys stepping back and producing. Sounds like he might donate more of his time to that now, and it's been clear that he's had to turn down a lot of that due to previous commitments to his other projects.

This is a barren body It is made of wood and stone This is a fragile heart and It is to be left alone
Working_Man
PTF Newbie

Reply #33 - 04. Jan 2012 at 18:18

I think a new album would carry on from DNA and be worth a listen.
BUT!! Live shows would be unthinkable without SW.
I guess i have always been amazed by the amount of projects SW has had going on and i guess one has had to go. Looking forward to Storm Corrosion.

View Profile   IP Logged
quentin
yhW?

Reply #34 - 05. Jan 2012 at 02:08

O' well, only so much time in each day.   We'll see if this means DOA but the DNA concerts I saw last year rocked.  SW's participation brought me to BF.

View Profile   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #35 - 05. Jan 2012 at 04:49

Quote from Working_Man on 04. Jan 2012 at 18:18:
Live shows would be unthinkable without SW.

Ditto. Blackfield shows without SW, Not the same.

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
xylem1
PTF God

Open the pod bay
doors, Hal.

Reply #36 - 05. Jan 2012 at 18:22

None of these things mean it will be a bad album. You can't just make your mind up before it's even been released.

The live performances however, would certainly suffer. I think a UK tour would be out of the question, as there were very few Aviv-exclusive fans there last time. Obviously, SW is the big draw for me with a BF release, but I love their music and I've still got faith that the new album will be worth hearing - one way or the other! Smiley

http://excavationsofsound.blogspot.com/
Prog/metal/ambient reviews
Email View Profile WWW xylem89   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #37 - 05. Jan 2012 at 19:28

Quote from xylem1 on 05. Jan 2012 at 18:22:
None of these things mean it will be a bad album. You can't just make your mind up before it's even been released.

The live performances however, would certainly suffer. I think a UK tour would be out of the question, as there were very few Aviv-exclusive fans there last time. Obviously, SW is the big draw for me with a BF release, but I love their music and I've still got faith that the new album will be worth hearing - one way or the other! Smiley

As Steven said the process began with WTMD. So in a way he already took his step back from Blackfield, the difference this time around is that Steven won't physically be in the studio during the recording process.

At the same time it doesn't necessarily mean SW wouldn't tour with Blackfield again. He could still tour with the band and just not be a part of recording the albums.

Either way I don't see a Blackfield tour happening with this new album anyways, but I could be wrong. If a tour was to happen then SW probably wouldn't be able to take part. But in the future he probably could.

View Profile   IP Logged
FrogTree
PTF Newbie

Reply #38 - 09. Jan 2012 at 17:14

If I would be Aviv, I wouldn't keep the name of Blackfield.  
Without SW, Blackfield is over. The last opus was quiet good but we heard it lacks smthg.

I'm disapointed too about this news but it's perhaps better for PT future.  
IEM, Blackfield, ... No-Man ?... and finaly Porcupine Tree ? It seems SW would like to fly all alone more and more ...   Huh

Et in Arcadia Ego
PTF God

Les fleurs du mal

Reply #39 - 09. Jan 2012 at 22:05

It's strange to see so many people thinking that SW's departure from Blackfield implies him leaving all other projects. To me, it signifies exactly the opposite.

I'm a postmodern vegetarian - I eat meat ironically.
papapk
PTF Junior

Reply #40 - 09. Jan 2012 at 22:12

Quote from Et in Arcadia Ego on 09. Jan 2012 at 22:05:
It's strange to see so many people thinking that SW's departure from Blackfield implies him leaving all other projects. To me, it signifies exactly the opposite.

Exactly. At this point I don't see anything to worry about.

View Profile   IP Logged
eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #41 - 28. Jan 2012 at 13:57

"Tomorrow me and Steven getting in the studio for the new Blackfield album" -blackfield facebook

Weird.

Check out my experimental-rock project Neural Corrosion. Thank you for listening!
View Profile   IP Logged
Allanpoe
PTF Full Member

Reply #42 - 28. Jan 2012 at 14:20

Why weird?

innocence and undying love will reign...
eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #43 - 28. Jan 2012 at 14:29

Well I thought SW wouldn't be that active in Blackfield anymore. I knew he would still be involved a bit but I guess I'm just surprised that he's rushing into the studio with Aviv few weeks after he "left" the band.

View Profile   IP Logged
antithema
PTF God

I wish I didn't know
now what I never
knew then

Reply #44 - 28. Jan 2012 at 14:54

Well he just said that he will not be involved that much to the writing, not that he wont records with them.

View Profile   IP Logged
eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #45 - 28. Jan 2012 at 14:57

Quote from antithema on 28. Jan 2012 at 14:54:
Well he just said that he will not be involved that much to the writing

So in the end things are the same as before?

View Profile   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #46 - 28. Jan 2012 at 18:14

Quote from eclipsis on 28. Jan 2012 at 14:57:

Yeah!

Besides maybe Steven ended up having a free week to go spend it in the studio with Aviv! I originally thought he wouldn't step in the studio at all, he would just mix it from the UK...and add vocals there as well.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pingree
PTF Full Member

Taking off into the
sky...

Reply #47 - 28. Jan 2012 at 18:21

Quote from eclipsis on 28. Jan 2012 at 13:57:
"Tomorrow me and Steven getting in the studio for the new Blackfield album" -blackfield facebook

Weird.

I thought exactly the samething tbh.

Email View Profile Pingree   IP Logged
oʇoɥdɐuıʇıɹıds
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #48 - 29. Jan 2012 at 02:44

Quote from NightCreeper on 28. Jan 2012 at 18:14:
Quote from eclipsis on 28. Jan 2012 at 14:57:

Yeah!

Besides maybe Steven ended up having a free week to go spend it in the studio with Aviv! I originally thought he wouldn't step in the studio at all, he would just mix it from the UK...and add vocals there as well.

My completely made-up and almost certainly not-true theory is that he went to visit Annabelle, and she blabbed to Aviv that Steven was in Israel.

View Profile WWW oʇoɥdɐuıʇıɹıds oʇoɥdɐuıʇıɹıds sticksandtunes msimponderable   IP Logged
eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #49 - 30. Jan 2012 at 12:45

"second day at Steven's studio we're doing some guitars and vocals,sounds promising" -fb

So it's at No Man's Land.

View Profile   IP Logged
Starxgamer12
PTF Full Member

Reply #50 - 30. Jan 2012 at 17:48

Did Blackfield 3 not just get released?

eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #51 - 30. Jan 2012 at 17:54

Quote from Starxgamer12 on 30. Jan 2012 at 17:48:

No. It was nearly a year ago.

View Profile   IP Logged
mixtaped
yhW?

Reply #52 - 30. Jan 2012 at 20:38

Quote from eclipsis on 30. Jan 2012 at 17:54:
Quote from Starxgamer12 on 30. Jan 2012 at 17:48:

No. It was nearly a year ago.

Still a relatively small timeframe compared to BF I+II. It feels it just got released.

View Profile   IP Logged
Stone
PTF Full Member

5.1 Surrounded.

Reply #53 - 30. Jan 2012 at 21:17

3 years - 4 years - 1 year.

NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #54 - 30. Jan 2012 at 22:50

If Aviv has the musical drive then go for it, as he is.

Steven already has new material to play on the tour and GFD hasn't even been out a year.

View Profile   IP Logged
ahava1
PTF God

Reply #55 - 01. Feb 2012 at 19:19

Some interesting news regarding guests on this BF record... Yesterday they were working with Vincent from Anathema and today Brett Anderson was in the studio with Aviv (though the latter may just be working on Aviv's solo material)
Smiley

And I can't stop from dreaming there's something else...
View Profile WWW itsonlythemoonlight   IP Logged
Metanoia507
PTF Newbie

Reply #56 - 03. Feb 2012 at 19:13

I only take this to mean he might not tour with them.  He's still involved with the production.

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #57 - 09. Feb 2012 at 19:05

I prefer Welcome To My DNA to the tracks I have heard from Blackfield 1 and 2. That's interesting, considering that Steven took a beat seat for the songwriting on WTMDNA.  

Despite the fact that I think Steven is a brilliant writer, I am wondering if Aviv's writing is more suited to the style of band that Blackfield is. I get the impression from reading interviews that there is a certain musical tension between Steven and Aviv - for example Aviv definitely doesn't like to get too heavy. Perhaps Steven has decided it's more satisfying to save his songs for HIS band (Porcupine Tree) or for solo albums, and just let Aviv do the writing for Blackfield. SW has said a couple of times that production is the thing he enjoys most.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print