Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
24. Jun 2017 at 02:41
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Blackfield IV (Read 12328 times)
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Re: Blackfield IV
Reply #25 - 04. Jan 2012 at 04:05

Quote from Working_Man on 03. Jan 2012 at 21:46:
all the negative comments about the end of PT now feel very possible.

I would tend to think the opposite -- with one less 'major' project for SW to divide his attention with, I'd think his other ones would get more.

View Profile   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #26 - 04. Jan 2012 at 05:27

Quote from Simon on 03. Jan 2012 at 21:37:
Quote from Marty50 on 03. Jan 2012 at 20:22:
I would like SW to do a film score.

And he'd love to do one, but as far as I'm aware no one has approached him. He's sadly still under the radar in the film world to be asked to write scores. Look how long it took Trent Reznor to get into this genre...

I think doing film scores will be something after his career making music is over. He has mentioned age 50 would be a time he might stop making his own music (specifically singing) and concentrate on producing/writing for others/mixing. That would be the perfect time for him to compose (if he can get offers).

Quote from Working_Man on 03. Jan 2012 at 21:46:
Dissapointed.
I don't feel this should be marketed as Blackfield.
all the negative comments about the end of PT now feel very possible.
I really hope not. Sad

I hope not and I don't think that would happen.

More realistically, this could all be building up to one more final PT album, with a final farewell tour. That is more likely to happen than PT completely disbanding.

View Profile   IP Logged
feuerbach
PTF Senior

Reply #27 - 04. Jan 2012 at 08:41

nothing too tragic. all my favourite BF songs were written by Aviv and almost all SW tracks had just b-side quality imo. the only thing is, that the combination Aviv's songs + Steven's voice and production almost was the essence of Blackfield. especially if Steven won't produce it anymore it could turn out just as an Aviv solo album under a different name. let's see...

View Profile   IP Logged
antithema
PTF God

I wish I didn't know
now what I never
knew then

Reply #28 - 04. Jan 2012 at 10:16

Will just have to wait and see, well listen to it.
I surely liked the 1st album most, but DNA was probably better for me than Blackfield 2 (only a few were good there).
Its not fair to judge without having something on our hands. Avivs solo album had a few great songs as well and I am sure there will be more than a few great songs on IV.

View Profile   IP Logged
zakath
PTF Junior

Reply #29 - 04. Jan 2012 at 11:22

Like rats from a sinking ship.. Although can't blame steven. I would have bailed too after the horrible album that was WTMD.

Roll Eyes

Email View Profile   IP Logged
feuerbach
PTF Senior

Reply #30 - 04. Jan 2012 at 11:38

@zakath: well Blackfield are becoming more popular with every album and hit the UK charts with DNA for the first time! so where's the sinking ship? the fact that some consider it "horrible" (I consider it the opposite) doesn't has to do with sinking transportation means... Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Roksoff
PTF Full Member

Reply #31 - 04. Jan 2012 at 12:11

Not really bothered by this news. DNA didnt register with me at all.

As for film scores a collaborative with Lisa Gerrard film score stalwart would be interesting.

http://www.thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/index.php
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
InsaneKat
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior

I'll never let you
go...

Reply #32 - 04. Jan 2012 at 17:11

I would lean away from this meaning that PT is done. Since some have mentioned how Aviv writes more songs for Blackfield, especially on the most recent album, maybe SW feels that him stepping back/away won't be SIGNIFICANTLY different than it was previously. Whereas in PT he is the main songwriter.  

It sounds more like he wants to focus on his solo, as well as be a producer/mixer of albums. I believe he mentioned it recently in an interview (or two?) that he really enjoys stepping back and producing. Sounds like he might donate more of his time to that now, and it's been clear that he's had to turn down a lot of that due to previous commitments to his other projects.

This is a barren body It is made of wood and stone This is a fragile heart and It is to be left alone
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Working_Man
PTF Newbie

Reply #33 - 04. Jan 2012 at 18:18

I think a new album would carry on from DNA and be worth a listen.
BUT!! Live shows would be unthinkable without SW.
I guess i have always been amazed by the amount of projects SW has had going on and i guess one has had to go. Looking forward to Storm Corrosion.

View Profile   IP Logged
quentin
yhW?

Reply #34 - 05. Jan 2012 at 02:08

O' well, only so much time in each day.   We'll see if this means DOA but the DNA concerts I saw last year rocked.  SW's participation brought me to BF.

View Profile   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #35 - 05. Jan 2012 at 04:49

Quote from Working_Man on 04. Jan 2012 at 18:18:
Live shows would be unthinkable without SW.

Ditto. Blackfield shows without SW, Not the same.

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
xylem1
PTF God

Open the pod bay
doors, Hal.

Reply #36 - 05. Jan 2012 at 18:22

None of these things mean it will be a bad album. You can't just make your mind up before it's even been released.

The live performances however, would certainly suffer. I think a UK tour would be out of the question, as there were very few Aviv-exclusive fans there last time. Obviously, SW is the big draw for me with a BF release, but I love their music and I've still got faith that the new album will be worth hearing - one way or the other! Smiley

http://excavationsofsound.blogspot.com/
Prog/metal/ambient reviews
Email View Profile WWW xylem89   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #37 - 05. Jan 2012 at 19:28

Quote from xylem1 on 05. Jan 2012 at 18:22:
None of these things mean it will be a bad album. You can't just make your mind up before it's even been released.

The live performances however, would certainly suffer. I think a UK tour would be out of the question, as there were very few Aviv-exclusive fans there last time. Obviously, SW is the big draw for me with a BF release, but I love their music and I've still got faith that the new album will be worth hearing - one way or the other! Smiley

As Steven said the process began with WTMD. So in a way he already took his step back from Blackfield, the difference this time around is that Steven won't physically be in the studio during the recording process.

At the same time it doesn't necessarily mean SW wouldn't tour with Blackfield again. He could still tour with the band and just not be a part of recording the albums.

Either way I don't see a Blackfield tour happening with this new album anyways, but I could be wrong. If a tour was to happen then SW probably wouldn't be able to take part. But in the future he probably could.

View Profile   IP Logged
FrogTree
PTF Newbie

Reply #38 - 09. Jan 2012 at 17:14

If I would be Aviv, I wouldn't keep the name of Blackfield.  
Without SW, Blackfield is over. The last opus was quiet good but we heard it lacks smthg.

I'm disapointed too about this news but it's perhaps better for PT future.  
IEM, Blackfield, ... No-Man ?... and finaly Porcupine Tree ? It seems SW would like to fly all alone more and more ...   Huh

Et in Arcadia Ego
PTF God

Les fleurs du mal

Reply #39 - 09. Jan 2012 at 22:05

It's strange to see so many people thinking that SW's departure from Blackfield implies him leaving all other projects. To me, it signifies exactly the opposite.

I'm a postmodern vegetarian - I eat meat ironically.
papapk
PTF Junior

Reply #40 - 09. Jan 2012 at 22:12

Quote from Et in Arcadia Ego on 09. Jan 2012 at 22:05:
It's strange to see so many people thinking that SW's departure from Blackfield implies him leaving all other projects. To me, it signifies exactly the opposite.

Exactly. At this point I don't see anything to worry about.

View Profile   IP Logged
eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #41 - 28. Jan 2012 at 13:57

"Tomorrow me and Steven getting in the studio for the new Blackfield album" -blackfield facebook

Weird.

Check out my experimental-rock project Neural Corrosion. Thank you for listening!
View Profile   IP Logged
Allanpoe
PTF Full Member

Reply #42 - 28. Jan 2012 at 14:20

Why weird?

innocence and undying love will reign...
eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #43 - 28. Jan 2012 at 14:29

Well I thought SW wouldn't be that active in Blackfield anymore. I knew he would still be involved a bit but I guess I'm just surprised that he's rushing into the studio with Aviv few weeks after he "left" the band.

Check out my experimental-rock project Neural Corrosion. Thank you for listening!
View Profile   IP Logged
antithema
PTF God

I wish I didn't know
now what I never
knew then

Reply #44 - 28. Jan 2012 at 14:54

Well he just said that he will not be involved that much to the writing, not that he wont records with them.

View Profile   IP Logged
eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #45 - 28. Jan 2012 at 14:57

Quote from antithema on 28. Jan 2012 at 14:54:
Well he just said that he will not be involved that much to the writing

So in the end things are the same as before?

View Profile   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #46 - 28. Jan 2012 at 18:14

Quote from eclipsis on 28. Jan 2012 at 14:57:

Yeah!

Besides maybe Steven ended up having a free week to go spend it in the studio with Aviv! I originally thought he wouldn't step in the studio at all, he would just mix it from the UK...and add vocals there as well.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pingree
PTF Full Member

Taking off into the
sky...

Reply #47 - 28. Jan 2012 at 18:21

Quote from eclipsis on 28. Jan 2012 at 13:57:
"Tomorrow me and Steven getting in the studio for the new Blackfield album" -blackfield facebook

Weird.

I thought exactly the samething tbh.

Email View Profile Pingree   IP Logged
oʇoɥdɐuıʇıɹıds
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #48 - 29. Jan 2012 at 02:44

Quote from NightCreeper on 28. Jan 2012 at 18:14:
Quote from eclipsis on 28. Jan 2012 at 14:57:

Yeah!

Besides maybe Steven ended up having a free week to go spend it in the studio with Aviv! I originally thought he wouldn't step in the studio at all, he would just mix it from the UK...and add vocals there as well.

My completely made-up and almost certainly not-true theory is that he went to visit Annabelle, and she blabbed to Aviv that Steven was in Israel.

View Profile WWW oʇoɥdɐuıʇıɹıds oʇoɥdɐuıʇıɹıds sticksandtunes msimponderable   IP Logged
eclipsis
yhW?

Reply #49 - 30. Jan 2012 at 12:45

"second day at Steven's studio we're doing some guitars and vocals,sounds promising" -fb

So it's at No Man's Land.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print