Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
29. Jun 2017 at 13:33
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
digital audio vs. optical audio cable. help. (Read 872 times)
SufferingFromNostalgia
Topic Starter Topic Starter
yhW?
I've Donated!

I Still Wave At The
Dots On The Shore

digital audio vs. optical audio cable. help.
21. Nov 2011 at 10:42

I have a stand alone Sony CD recorder that has the option of Optical audio inputs. My Panasonic plasma has the only option of Digital audio outputs (not RCA "digital" cable). my dilemma is if i wanted to extract audio from the tv, are Optical & Digital audio cables one in the same? in other words the ends to the Optical & Digital cables look similar but i'm not sure. i was just wondering if the terms Optical & Digital in this instance are used interchangeably? thanks so much whoever helps here,

Anthony.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Re: digital audio vs. optical audio cable. help.
Reply #1 - 21. Nov 2011 at 11:55

The optical input on your CD-Recorder is probably a "Toslink" cable: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSLINK

I don't know of any TV's with a digital audio output, most just have analogue cinch outputs and HDMI connections.
If your TV would have a "coaxial" (cinch) digital output, you could get a convertor for it to accept Toslink. (I've even seen a friend make one by simply soldering an LED to the coaxial output)  
Maybe you could provide some links to an online manual for both devices? Even a picture of the connections on both devices would help me in identifying the connectors/technology used.

What kind of audio do you want to extract from your TV? If it is just an analogue TV signal you could just hook up your CD recorder with the analogue connections, there's no benefit in using a digital connection in this case. If it's some sort of digital TV you MIGHT get a small improvement by somehow recording straight from the decoder digitally. (This is hard to speculate on since digital TV systems vary incredibly from country to country and even from one cable company to another).  
If it's DVD/Blue RAY or a videogame you want to record, you could easily do that straight from the player/games console.

Edit: I did some googling , and it appears that some Panasonic Plasma TV's actually have an optical output, which could probably be connected straight to your CD-Recorder with the appropriate toslink cable.
I'd just get a Toslink cable and try(they are cheap, I once needed a 10m one and was able to buy it for 9 I think, steer clear of the expensive ones!) You could also try and borrow one from a local store with the promise to buy it if it works.

I also read some of these TV's actually don't have regular stereo outputs any longer, which is pretty screwed up for people with an old fashioned stereo amplifier: They'd either have to buy a seperate D/A convertor, or learn to live with the ahum..."stellar" sound of the tv's built-in speakers.... Way to go Panasonic!  
It also makes me see your question in a new light: Do you actually want to record sound from your Tv to your CD-recorder, or are you planning on using the CD-Recorder as a workaround for your TV's lack of analgue outputs? If the latter is the case, you cloud probably get D/A convertor vor 30$ that will save you a lot off hassle.

View Profile   IP Logged
SufferingFromNostalgia
yhW?
I've Donated!

I Still Wave At The
Dots On The Shore

Reply #2 - 21. Nov 2011 at 15:11

thanks for the in depth input TAKO. that is correct, there are no analog RCA audio outs on this TV which is nuts. i could probably just go from my cable receiver for that.  
ok i'm thinking that my thinking is correct now on the "digital out" as it is labeled on my TV is the same as "optical" in this case.

TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #3 - 21. Nov 2011 at 17:11

Something like this: http://www.amazon.de/Digital-Toslink-Analog-stereo-Konverter/dp/B004O2P0CS/ref=s r_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321877586&sr=8-1 should convert the Toslink output on your TV to a set of regular analogue cinch outputs.
You probably COULD use your CD-Recorder for this, but you might have to go through some extra steps to get it to output the signal to the analogue outputs. I owned one of those first generation Philips "double-deck" CD-Recorders, which would only output an analogue signal when actually recording. (Or paused)

View Profile   IP Logged
SufferingFromNostalgia
yhW?
I've Donated!

I Still Wave At The
Dots On The Shore

Reply #4 - 21. Nov 2011 at 23:31

hmmm. never seen one of these. thank you. well, i think i'm gonna just buy the optical cable and see if that works. it's a Sony RCD-W1 double deck with the analog & optical ins http://amzn.com/B00005I9RC . if all else fails i will try the converter option. i appreciate your time.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print