Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
25. Jun 2017 at 14:47
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recommended e-readers? (Read 859 times)
MorbidStalker
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Recommended e-readers?
20. Nov 2011 at 21:07

Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying my wife an e-reader for Christmas and I was wondering which ones are your favorites.

I've been looking at the newest Kindle from Amazon, and the price is pretty much what I can afford (roughly about $100 before taxes). I know absolutely nothing about e-readers.

1) I really want this to focus on / be used exclusively for reading

2) My wife reads in three languages: English, French and Thai. I assume the first two wouldn't be a problem, but what about Thai? Is there an e-reader that supports the Thai alphabet? And where could I find e-books in Thai?  

3) Whether I go for a Kindle, a Kobo, a Sony, etc.; are there any compatibility issues? I mean, would I have to buy from one single source all the time?

Anyway, I'd be grateful to read whatever advice you can give me!

Thanks in advance!

Email View Profile WWW MorbidStalker silent_nightdrifter   IP Logged
JPenguin
PTF Junior

Re: Recommended e-readers?
Reply #1 - 23. Nov 2011 at 02:36

If you buy a Kindle you are basically limited to buying books only from Amazon.

Kobo, Sony, etc are generally compatible, you need to buy books in ePub format (Kobo's store offers most books in that format and their own format).

Barnes & Noble also have a slightly different format I think, I don't think it's widely supported outside the US.

I've got a Kobo WiFi and owned the original Kobo which I'm quite pleased with, their price was right. Before settling on the original Kobo I also tried the Sony readers and they were nicer but not enough to justify the price (it was close to 2x as much for the 6" and $100 more for the 5" at the time). I've not tried the current Kobo Touch although it probably would replace my WiFi version if I needed a replacement tomorrow.

One downside to the Kobo devices has been their buggyness, several software updates fix issues but create new ones. I haven't personally run into issues which made the device not work but at times there were annoyances (and slowness).

With regards to your questions:
1) If the content is going to be novels then I would recommend eInk, their screens are slower to refresh but much nicer to read for long periods or outdoors. One potential downside to eInk is, since they have no backlight, a proper  light is required (e.g. reading in bed will require a clip-on light or a bedside light). For magazines or graphic heavy then a tablet device works better as they are faster and can display colour.

2) The first 2 definitely shouldn't be a problem, I'd probably recommend visiting MobileRead's forums about Thai support. I did follow some of the talk in the Kobo forum there and saw stuff about Chinese language but I don't know what the outcome was.

3) As mentioned earlier, Kobo and Sony are generally compatible but the Kindle is very locked down.

View Profile   IP Logged
MorbidStalker
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #2 - 23. Nov 2011 at 12:44

That's some very helpful info you gave me there. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! The Kindle sounds like it's off the list.

I'll check out the other two more closely and look at the MobileRead forums. Smiley

Email View Profile WWW MorbidStalker silent_nightdrifter   IP Logged
Mathias_D
PTF Senior

Reply #3 - 14. Dec 2011 at 10:29

Quote from JPenguin on 23. Nov 2011 at 02:36:
If you buy a Kindle you are basically limited to buying books only from Amazon.

Is this true? I was told otherwise when I made similar enquiries on other forums.

Here's a quote from one poster on the Marillion forum...
"The best source of free books is the Project Guttenburg website. You can access that from the Kindle directly, without a PC, and download books from there, usually in Kindle Format. It has WAY more free books than the Amazon website."

To err is human. To arr is pirate.
Email View Profile   IP Logged
JPenguin
PTF Junior

Reply #4 - 17. Dec 2011 at 18:05

I think there is a way to convert books to Kindle format but they have to be DRM-free books. You would find some books which are DRM-free but most books will have Adobe's DRM.

So you will find books like Project Guttenburg and some independent authors & specialty ebook retailers that can be converted for the Kindle. But if you're buying books from the major publishers they're all DRM-laden and converting them won't always be easy or legal.

View Profile   IP Logged
billinjc
PTF Junior

Reply #5 - 23. Dec 2011 at 01:06

Google Calibre. It's a free ebook management program that can convert Kindle books to epub. If you know where to look, there are plug-ins that work with Calibre that strip DRM, so you can buy your ebooks from almost anywhere, and read them on whatever e-reader you want.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print