Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
26. Jul 2017 at 07:38
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Poll
Question: Fadeaway v Dark Matter

Fadeaway  
  9 (24.3%)
Dark Matter  
  24 (64.8%)
Simply Cannot Split them  
  4 (10.8%)

Total votes: 37
« Created by: Porcupine Field on: 18. Nov 2011 at 06:21 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fadeaway v Dark Matter (Read 1780 times)
Porcupine Field
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior

Fadeaway v Dark Matter
18. Nov 2011 at 06:21

I have for some reason always thought of the songs as kind of brothers, similar, both closers of the album they appear on, similar length, similar vibe etc. Both brilliant. Which do you prefer?

So difficult, and once upon a time I would of said Dark Matter for sure, but I think I might actually go with Fadeaway!

Email View Profile   IP Logged
4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Re: Fadeaway v Dark Matter
Reply #1 - 18. Nov 2011 at 09:30

I would never call them "brothers", very different songs to my ears. Both have a totally different feel and different dynamics. And while I love Fadeaway, Dark Matter is probably the single PT song I love most, so it's a no-brainer for me.

View Profile wp____ www.myspace.com/lavenderpoland   IP Logged
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Reply #2 - 18. Nov 2011 at 10:28

Quote from 4ctmam on 18. Nov 2011 at 09:30:
I would never call them "brothers", very different songs to my ears. Both have a totally different feel and different dynamics. And while I love Fadeaway, Dark Matter is probably the single PT song I love most, so it's a no-brainer for me.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. I don't detect a similar vibe between the two songs at all, really. And come on, the solo in Dark Matter? Easy choice.

No, if any PT songs were to be brothers, it'd be Radioactive Toy and A Smart Kid  Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #3 - 18. Nov 2011 at 13:22

I can understand the comment about "brothers". The themes of the lyrics are quite different, but both have a similar musical feel.  

I prefer Fadeaway, but not by a huge margin. I may be influenced by the fact that Fadeaway is not only the album closer, but also part 3 of what most people acknowledge to be a trilogy: Small Fish/Burning Sky/Fadeaway, whereas Dark Matter is really just a standalone song.

View Profile   IP Logged
mixtaped
yhW?

Reply #4 - 18. Nov 2011 at 13:53

Dark Matter

View Profile   IP Logged
loucap81
PTF Junior

Reply #5 - 18. Nov 2011 at 23:31

Wow, my favorite PT song versus my 2nd or 3rd favorite PT song (depending on my mood, Fadeaway or The Start of Something Beautiful is #2). But in the end I have to go with Dark Matter because it was the song that made me fall in love with PT. No other PT song builds and climaxes like Dark Matter does.

View Profile   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior

Reply #6 - 19. Nov 2011 at 09:33

yeah maybe not brothers, i dunno for me ive just always thought of them as similar. Actually to be honest, they were both tracks i originally found a little boring and didnt rate that much originally on the albums. Much prefered Almost Never, small fish, burning sky off UTD, and Sever, Sleep No Dreaming, Waiting etc at first.

Over time I ended up loving these two.

RandalG
PTF God
I've Donated!

Reply #7 - 20. Nov 2011 at 00:22

Dark Matter has always been my fave but I like Fadeaway a lot also. I wouldn't say they're brothers though. The solo at the end of DM  takes my breath away.

" The product is sold the memory fades...."
Email View Profile illuminator1   IP Logged
Dogstar1561
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #8 - 22. Nov 2011 at 00:31

Dark Matter, though I adore Fadeaway as well.

"Turn off your television. Go do something."
Rosettastoned729
PTF Junior

Reply #9 - 09. Dec 2011 at 23:46

I prefer "Dark Matter" instrumentally, "Fadeaway" lyrically, "Dark Matter" vocally on the studio recording, but "Fadeaway"'s vocals when Wes sings it, a la "XM II".

Overall though, I can say I personally prefer "Dark Matter". The solo at the end is blistering, and is probably Steven's best even to this date. The first solo on the acoustic is also a nice, pretty solo. Plus, the live versions of this song from the Gavin era have that amazing bell cymbal outro.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print