Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
27. Jun 2017 at 08:04
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How Important is Disc 2 to you - the Incident (Read 4938 times)
Porcupine Field
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior

How Important is Disc 2 to you - the Incident
09. Nov 2011 at 01:58

So...if the incident album had of just been just the first dic.
The "one" song so to speak, with no second disc.

Do you think this would affect how you rate the album.
Would it be as strong an album, being just disc 1?

Personally, I think Disc 2 was really important. Most of the songs on it are just awesome, in fact i really like them all, and despite still being a great album if it had been Disc 1 alone, there is no way I cant admit it would not be as good without disc 2.

I only raise it because I remember for a long time only expecting the one disc - the one continious piece of music... I was pleasantly suprised when i learnt there would be a second disc with more songs. Just wondering how things would of been if my initial understanding of only 1 disc had of been the album.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Re: How Important is Disc 2 to you - the Incident
Reply #1 - 09. Nov 2011 at 04:42

I initially liked Disc 2 more than Disc 1, but not so much anymore.

I still think Flicker and Black Dahlia are essential. The other two songs are just OK.

View Profile   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #2 - 09. Nov 2011 at 07:29

For me, Flicker and Bonnie the Cat are two of the best songs from the sessions, and much stronger than a lot of was on disc one. In fact, a couple years later, I find much of disc one to be extremely meh (by PT standards).

View Profile signify2metanoia   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #3 - 09. Nov 2011 at 11:50

Generally...I still find I enjoy disc 1 more if i listen to it in its entirety (which is supposed to be the way you hear it i suppose)  - all coming together I think i really like it, but when trying to pick out the tracks, i find i want to listen to disc 2 more. Apart from 'I Drive the Hearse' which is probably my favourite part of the whole album / both discs.  

But as i said earlier, disc 2 really helps push the overall rating of the album higher for me.

Blackfield_Tree
yhW?

Reply #4 - 09. Nov 2011 at 17:37

I think it is an essential part. Black Dahlia and Remember Me Lover are two of the Incident highlights

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Hawklord
PTF God
I've Donated!

Space is the place
for the human race

Reply #5 - 09. Nov 2011 at 19:05

Quote from bob_32_116 on 09. Nov 2011 at 04:42:

I still think Flicker and Black Dahlia are essential. The other two songs are just OK.

This. And let me add that after all this time I still feel this way and with the exception of a few songs on Disc 1 I do not play that one much. Cool

Born to Raise hell. and enjoy every minute of it

Hawklord

View Profile   IP Logged
xylem1
PTF God

Open the pod bay
doors, Hal.

Reply #6 - 09. Nov 2011 at 20:32

Well either way, wether it'd change the overall fascination or not, I never listen to one without the other.

http://excavationsofsound.blogspot.com/
Prog/metal/ambient reviews
Email View Profile WWW xylem89   IP Logged
Rosettastoned729
PTF Junior

Reply #7 - 09. Nov 2011 at 22:10

At first, I couldn't be bothered with disc 2, but that was mainly due to the complexity of the material on disc 1 and the fact that I wanted to develop a full appreciation for it before moving on. I think the only segments of disc 1 I "got" or "loved" right away were "The Blind House/Great Expectations/Kneel and Disconnect" and "I Drive the Hearse". Everything else needed to sink in or grow on me. Currently, I love the entire piece.

As for disc 2, "Flicker" I can take or leave, but the other three are essential and I listen to them repetitively and very often. Worth noting that "Black Dahlia" and "Bonnie the Cat" were breathtaking live, too, but I can only think of two PT songs ever ("Trains" and "Prodigal") where I prefer studio to live off the top of my head.

View Profile   IP Logged
static
yhW?
I've Donated!

orphan coal

Reply #8 - 09. Nov 2011 at 22:51

i love the material, but i find it quite anti-climactic following the finality of the main disc. i think the four songs would have worked better as a standalone accompaniment release like FOABP and NR.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #9 - 10. Nov 2011 at 06:04

Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 09. Nov 2011 at 07:29:
For me, Flicker and Bonnie the Cat are two of the best songs from the sessions, and much stronger than a lot of was on disc one. In fact, a couple years later, I find much of disc one to be extremely meh (by PT standards).

I agree 100%.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tree_Frog
yhW?

Reply #10 - 10. Nov 2011 at 21:19

I like some of the material a lot more than disc 1. In fact probably 3/4ths of it. So I think it is essential. I may have liked the entire album better if it would have all been mixed together in a different tracklisting rather than two seperate discs. (It would have fit on the same disc I think).

View Profile   IP Logged
kiwi31
PTF God

It's easy being
green

Reply #11 - 11. Nov 2011 at 13:14

Quote from Rosettastoned729 on 09. Nov 2011 at 22:10:
At first, I couldn't be bothered with disc 2, but that was mainly due to the complexity of the material on disc 1 and the fact that I wanted to develop a full appreciation for it before moving on. I think the only segments of disc 1 I "got" or "loved" right away were "The Blind House/Great Expectations/Kneel and Disconnect" and "I Drive the Hearse". Everything else needed to sink in or grow on me. Currently, I love the entire piece.

As for disc 2, "Flicker" I can take or leave, but the other three are essential and I listen to them repetitively and very often. Worth noting that "Black Dahlia" and "Bonnie the Cat" were breathtaking live, too, but I can only think of two PT songs ever ("Trains" and "Prodigal") where I prefer studio to live off the top of my head.

I agree with everything you said here
Black Dahila was so stunning live.. it made my eyes well up .. just could not believe I was hearing it live!!

PT/SW's music takes time to marinate but when its sinks in it grabs hold ,it  doesnt let go!!..
I love music that doesnt hit you right away because of the layers and complexity or whatever it is that makes it take 10 listens to smack you in the face..in the end it stays with you longer and never gets old

crushed like a rose in the river flow
I am I know....
Mathias_D
PTF Senior

Reply #12 - 16. Nov 2011 at 16:20

I think that I listen to disc 2 of The Incident more often than disc 1.

To err is human. To arr is pirate.
Dogstar1561
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #13 - 16. Nov 2011 at 20:59

I love Disc 2, especially Black Dahlia and Bonnie the Cat. I probably listen to Disc 2 more than Disc 1. As much as I enjoy Disc 1, I have to be in a certain mood to give it a listen.

"Turn off your television. Go do something."
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Reply #14 - 20. Nov 2011 at 20:56

Quote from NightCreeper on 10. Nov 2011 at 06:04:

I agree 100%.

I agree too, but only about 98%  Tongue

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #15 - 21. Nov 2011 at 02:49

Quote from Brainwashed on 20. Nov 2011 at 20:56:
Quote from NightCreeper on 10. Nov 2011 at 06:04:

I agree 100%.

I agree too, but only about 98% Tongue

Stingepot.  Tongue

View Profile   IP Logged
Kashmir75
PTF Full Member

Reply #16 - 21. Nov 2011 at 08:58

I count disc 2 as essential. I listen to both discs a lot, not always in one sitting, but usually if I listen to the first disc, I continue on to the second.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ana2Alberta
PTF Full Member
I've Donated!

Reply #17 - 01. Dec 2011 at 20:37

I personally think that as an album TI could have done without Disc 2. It is fine enough for me as TI suite.

FOABP was fine alone, as was the following EP NR.  TI Disc 2 could similarly have had a life of its own, as a separate EP.

View Profile   IP Logged
arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #18 - 02. Dec 2011 at 08:31

when it first came out disk 2 didn't get much love from me (mainly because there was so much to take in on disk 1) but the 4 songs on it are very good. they have definitely grown on me over time.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky,
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves,
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still,
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh*ts...
Carl_ash
PTF Full Member

Reply #19 - 02. Dec 2011 at 17:27

to me its very important for the fact "remember me lover" is to be found on there a pt classic which i tend to think is overlooked by a lot of people

View Profile   IP Logged
spiritualarchitect
PTF Newbie

... when the Earth
will be at peace
once again

Reply #20 - 10. Jan 2012 at 19:59

Disc 2 is a must for me.  

I liked disc 2 straight off. It is like the mellow opposite of Nil Recurring. Nil is all power, where the Flicker EP is all emotion. When I play The Incident I always play disc 2 with it, though I leave out Hearse, which bores me to death.

We are about to return from whence we came
View Profile   IP Logged
Thervuth
PTF Newbie

Reply #21 - 11. Jan 2012 at 06:42

It's really funny: I don't like Disc2 at all, but I love Disc1. But I know, I'm quite alone with that. I also don't like In Absentia very much (especially NOT Trains, Sound of Muzak and Blackest Eyes). And I don't know anyone who thinks the same.

View Profile   IP Logged
4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #22 - 11. Jan 2012 at 11:26

Quote from Thervuth on 11. Jan 2012 at 06:42:
It's really funny: I don't like Disc2 at all, but I love Disc1. But I know, I'm quite alone with that. I also don't like In Absentia very much (especially NOT Trains, Sound of Muzak and Blackest Eyes). And I don't know anyone who thinks the same.

Well, some people will know I'm not a big fan of IA either.  Wink

View Profile wp____ www.myspace.com/lavenderpoland   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #23 - 11. Jan 2012 at 13:50

Quote from spiritualarchitect on 10. Jan 2012 at 19:59:
Disc 2 is a must for me.

I liked disc 2 straight off. It is like the mellow opposite of Nil Recurring. Nil is all power, where the Flicker EP is all emotion. When I play The Incident I always play disc 2 with it, though I leave out Hearse, which bores me to death.

I drive the hearse would be in my top 10 pt songs and easily my fav on the incident. Ha ha

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print