Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
19. Aug 2017 at 06:31
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Should SW/PT move on from Lassie Hoile/Carl Glover (Read 9096 times)
Porcupine Field
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior

Should SW/PT move on from Lassie Hoile/Carl Glover
02. Nov 2011 at 04:19

Ok, so this question relates to generally everything SW, but i suppose im thinking in particular the last two SW solo albums, The Incident, and maybe even FOABP.

In terms of packaging etc each have relied heavily on the FANTASTIC work of lasse hoile - also Carl Glover.

The majority of it touches on the spooky, atmospheric, bizarre, gloomy, surreal images.

Do you think for the next release be it PT or SW - he should maybe try something completely different, or even if he kept these themes, used different artists or mediums?

Of course perhaps the music would help determine what sort of medium and artist should be used, and of course he could also use the same artists but get them to do something completely different too. The options are many!!

Personally, im not too fussed actually, i love the artwork/photography etc on these last 4 albums, and dont have any problem if more of it was produced, but at the same time definitely wouldnt be adverse to something completely different next time around.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
tsawyer
PTF Full Member

Re: Should SW/PT move on from Lassie Hoile/Carl Gl
Reply #1 - 02. Nov 2011 at 06:46

Only if he wants to.  It's not really my kind of art and we're free to love it or hate it as we see fit, but only Steven (or the Band, in the case of PTree) can decide what THEY like.

View Profile   IP Logged
Simon
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - 02. Nov 2011 at 08:22

I vote no change!

Carbon Nation - The Independent Porcupine Tree magazine. CN10 out now! www.carbon-nation.co.uk
View Profile WWW carbon_nation   IP Logged
Carl_ash
PTF Full Member

Reply #3 - 02. Nov 2011 at 08:35

i think lassie`s work especially the live visuals fit perfectly - there is just a certain "connection" with his work and pt`s / steve`s music that i cant explain  Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
harmony
PTF Newbie

Reply #4 - 02. Nov 2011 at 08:59

Lasse maybe. but carl his work is stunning. i'm getting kind of bored with Lasse his visuals

View Profile   IP Logged
simonjamison
PTF Junior

Reply #5 - 02. Nov 2011 at 09:56

Lasse's work to me is like that of a very talented sixth-former. There are some moments of genius, the 'typing robot' (Bonnie & Sleep Together videos ?) is a classic and I won't deny it all works well with the music but the video for 'Remainder..' was almost a parody of itself by the end. On the other hand, compare it to the visuals for other bands - would we swap? Maybe we're all just too close and too exposed to it and take it for granted. Love Carl's work.

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #6 - 02. Nov 2011 at 11:01

I think it's more important that the album artwork complements the music well than who actually does it.

Some of Lasse's and Carl's work I find incredibly evocative, while some is just ho-hum. That's OK, it's all at least thought-provoking, and I don't have to love every single photograph. At least the packaging is better than stuff put out by than some bands, who seem to commission their dogs to do the album artwork.

« Last Edit: 02. Nov 2011 at 16:07 by bob_32_116 »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Stone
PTF Full Member

5.1 Surrounded.

Reply #7 - 02. Nov 2011 at 11:41

Quote from simonjamison on 02. Nov 2011 at 09:56:
Maybe we're all just too close and too exposed to it and take it for granted.

I agree on this. SW's work is too much of a collector thing for everyone to be objective enough. We all spend huge amounts of time & money in those records, and I believe everyone's house here is filled up with PT/BC/SW products. Browse through your record collection, and pick up some other bands CDs with the systematic same kind of artwork : would you change them all ? Or don't you listen/look at them enough not to be bored with it ?

PimPong
PTF God

Reply #8 - 02. Nov 2011 at 12:15

I agree with the sentiment that the band should do as they see fit.  

In my opinion, I am a huge fan of Carl's work, with Mixtaped photography being my favorite (That was Carl, right? Don't have the DVD here).  

Lasse has some incredible gems, but then he has many misses. Track One video to me is great in its minimalistic approach. There are so many others that I don't care for, such as the extremely literal presentation of Normal. Didn't care for the Harmony Korine video at all either.

View Profile   IP Logged
rs-fan1995
yhW?

Reply #9 - 02. Nov 2011 at 13:09

Well in any case I'm a big fan of Lasse's work anyway. Very like his dark influence and all the effects he uses in his art. I think the work he did for PT or SW releated things were always awesome. I think his photographies are always very good work while I sometimes prefer certain ones like the work he did for Deadwing, Fear of Blank Planet etc.
About his videos I sometimes feel it kind of inapproppiate but most time approppiate. I think the videos he did for Time Flies, Index, Blackfield, Arriving Somewhere or the whole Fear of a blank Planet thing can't be better but I think it's kind of weird by seeing the video from Remainder the Black Dog which I think doesn't really fit at all to the song... Just my opinion of course. Overall I'm a very big fan of Lasse's work and would never say that SW/PT should move off from him. He's a great artis and I love his work!

Carl Glover, in my opinion did one of the greatest artworks I've ever seen. I'm a very big fan of his work and actually got the biggest interest to no-man through his artworks. Very love his kind of style he designs all the artworks and also the photos he uses (and even take i think?)
Always love to have my hands on a new Carl Glover work and I hope that SW will appreciate his work for future releases furthermore Smiley

« Last Edit: 02. Nov 2011 at 16:02 by rs-fan1995 »  

My first musicial project: https://www.facebook.com/pages/emptymaze/200974626593878
Any feedback is welcome!
View Profile   IP Logged
feuerbach
PTF Senior

Reply #10 - 02. Nov 2011 at 13:30

Quote from Porcupine Field on 02. Nov 2011 at 04:19:
surreal images.

no. surrealism is linked to philosophy - Lasse's work (no matter how much one likes it) definitely isn't.

Quote from Porcupine Field on 02. Nov 2011 at 04:19:
spooky, atmospheric, bizarre, gloomy images.

yes.

on the topic: I never was a big fan of Lasse's work (in opposition to Carl's work, which I love!), but I think it fits the direction of PT's music on the last 4 albums well and is also a trademark somehow. so, probably a different cover artist would only make sense if the next PT album would make a big step into another direction.

View Profile   IP Logged
Keepa
PTF God
I've Donated!

Stay frosty!

Reply #11 - 02. Nov 2011 at 15:53

I'm getting a bit bored of Lasse as well, but Mr. Glover, I can look at his work forever. Beautiful stuff!

Email View Profile WWW http://www.myspace.com/mrkeepa   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #12 - 02. Nov 2011 at 17:14

I like what both Lasse and Carl do, I love their style and their work.

However, I do feel some of Lasse's work has been redundant....I find a lot of the images used for 'The Incident', 'Deadwing' and 'Grace for Drowning' to be very similar, similar enough that you might not be able to distinguish which album an image came from. The 'In Absentia' and 'FOABP' images were very unique and distinct to those two records.

I'd like to see Lasse do something completely different and use different tones and colors in his images, do something in which you can truly look at the image and say, "that is from that album".

View Profile   IP Logged
clouds41
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #13 - 02. Nov 2011 at 18:37

Stick with them, maybe in a different direction though?

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Blackfield_Tree
yhW?

Reply #14 - 02. Nov 2011 at 20:31

I think the gloomy Hoile standards are getting seriously old and tacky. So yes, moving on would be a good idea as far as I'm concerned. But hey, SW loves the partnership, so I don't see it happening any time soon

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #15 - 02. Nov 2011 at 22:33

I think I'd like to see the collarboration between them all continue, but in a different vein/style etc as some others have mentioned. That would be my personal best case scenario I think.  But like i said before I wouldnt be that bothered if it ended up being more of the same. It's pretty damn cool stuff.

blindhouse
PTF Junior

Perfectly uncalled
for.

Reply #16 - 03. Nov 2011 at 03:05

Quote from NightCreeper on 02. Nov 2011 at 17:14:
I like what both Lasse and Carl do, I love their style and their work.

However, I do feel some of Lasse's work has been redundant....I find a lot of the images used for 'The Incident', 'Deadwing' and 'Grace for Drowning' to be very similar, similar enough that you might not be able to distinguish which album an image came from. The 'In Absentia' and 'FOABP' images were very unique and distinct to those two records.

I'd like to see Lasse do something completely different and use different tones and colors in his images, do something in which you can truly look at the image and say, "that is from that album".

I agree with this.  I don't feel like the style is at all invalid, in fact I'd say that they both suit PT/SW well.  Lately though, I feel like the originality between releases has been in steady decline.

View Profile   IP Logged
The Green Man
PTF Junior

Sheffield, UK

Reply #17 - 03. Nov 2011 at 12:37

Quote from Simon on 02. Nov 2011 at 08:22:
I vote no change!

What he said!  

The work that both Lasse & Carl have been involved with for PT/Steven has produced some striking cover art, images & design.  Why fix what isn't broken?

Die widdly prog! Die!
Email View Profile The Green Man   IP Logged
Hans34
PTF Newbie

Reply #18 - 03. Nov 2011 at 18:25

Quote from harmony on 02. Nov 2011 at 08:59:
Lasse maybe. but carl his work is stunning.

x2

I know it's a matter of taste but Hoile's work is soooo boring and repetitive...full of common places...
Storm Thorgerson would make justice to the music.

CG's work in the other hand is of all my taste. I'm actually thinking of buying the Cenotaph vinyl just to have that amazing cover on a 12" square. Signify cover is another winner...probably the best PT album cover.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #19 - 03. Nov 2011 at 22:34

Quote from The Green Man on 03. Nov 2011 at 12:37:
Quote from Simon on 02. Nov 2011 at 08:22:
I vote no change!

What he said!

The work that both Lasse & Carl have been involved with for PT/Steven has produced some striking cover art, images & design. Why fix what isn't broken?

It's not realy a case of fixing something that isnt broken as such,  its just variety is the spice of life.

People dont always buy new cars just because the old one is breaking down. They want something new and different.

Anyway like ive said, more of the same wouldnt bother me so much, i think a change in style using the same artists etc could be interesting and id have no doubt in their ability to produce something great!

pulse
PTF Full Member
I've Donated!

collapse the light
into earth...

Reply #20 - 04. Nov 2011 at 06:14

I must say say that, of course, it is the band's decision of whatever artistic vision that most assuredly should outweigh any opinion of fans. But I for one would be saddened if Mr Glover was not involved in Porcupine Tree's future work. He is to Porcupine Tree what Storm Thorgerson is to Pink Floyd or what Alex Grey is to Tool.

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -- Tyrion Lannister, George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #21 - 04. Nov 2011 at 08:34

Quote from pulse on 04. Nov 2011 at 06:14:
I must say say that, of course, it is the band's decision of whatever artistic vision that most assuredly should outweigh any opinion of fans. But I for one would be saddened if Mr Glover was not involved in Porcupine Tree's future work. He is to Porcupine Tree what Storm Thorgerson is to Pink Floyd or what Alex Grey is to Tool.

... or Roger Dean to Yes.

With the exception of Going For the One, I don't like any of the Yes covers that are not Roger Dean creations.

View Profile   IP Logged
SufferingFromNostalgia
yhW?
I've Donated!

I Still Wave At The
Dots On The Shore

Reply #22 - 05. Nov 2011 at 11:17

this question is almost absurd to even bring up cause it will never happen. there's a bond with long time friendships & respect stemming between these collaborations. i highly doubt Steven would totally come to a point where he doesn't use Carl or Lasse in some fashion.  
it's all about personal taste. my opinion is that Lasse's work along with Steven's subject matter gets too dark. the Grace for Drowning cover is really refreshing and light & i didn't think the contents of the Grace digibook were all that dark. the music/images were almost perfect as far as keeping the light and heavy moods balanced. coming from a photographer's inspirational standpoint, i am being biased when i say i would like to see Carl's work on everything Steven does.

bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #23 - 05. Nov 2011 at 14:37

Quote from SufferingFromNostalgia on 05. Nov 2011 at 11:17:
this question is almost absurd to even bring up cause it will never happen. there's a bond with long time friendships & respect stemming between these collaborations. i highly doubt Steven would totally come to a point where he doesn't use Carl or Lasse in some fashion.

...especially if they keep on giving him guitars for his birthday.

View Profile   IP Logged
Domme Zebra
PTF God

Reply #24 - 05. Nov 2011 at 21:44

I'm bored with Lasses work. Seems so random and juvenile to me.  

I really dig CG's work though. I wish he was more involved with the PT/SW visuals...

Email View Profile WWW jellemarechal   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print