Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
23. Jun 2017 at 06:06
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Poll
Question: Favourite PT Album Cover Artwork

Sunday...is she diving into a pool
Downstair....is it a ghost?
Voyage....
Sky Moves....is Doctor Who around?
Signify...is she cute or not really?
Stupid.... Original
Stupid....Reissue
Lighbulb...nice lightbulb holding
In Absentia....freaks out everyone
Deadwing.... spooky
FOABP - Iconic blank gaze
Incident - Stand Back!

« Created by: Porcupine Field on: 26. Oct 2011 at 12:58 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Favourite PT Album Cover Artwork (Read 1472 times)
Porcupine Field
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior

Favourite PT Album Cover Artwork
26. Oct 2011 at 12:58

What do you reckon....

Overall I think there are some hits and misses with the artwork of PT over the years.

I really like Deadwing, Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream Reissue, and TSMS.

I really dont like much of OTSOL (although it suits it i must admit) UTD, the incident (a little disppointed when i first saw it)

Email View Profile   IP Logged
4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Re: Favourite PT Album Cover Artwork
Reply #1 - 26. Oct 2011 at 19:14

View Profile wp____ www.myspace.com/lavenderpoland   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #2 - 27. Oct 2011 at 13:54

Amazing. I have never thought of the person on the cover of OTSOL as female. I don't remember even taking a second to ponder over it.

Although the pose is the attitude of a diver, I don't see any water around. To me, the figure always resembled Superman, hair Brylcreemed and slicked down in the manner of the 1950s TV Superman character.

Incidentlally, have people noticed how awfully similar the general "feel" of the cover of OTSOL, i.e. colouring, light/shade, atmosphere, is to the cover of Grace for Drowning? It's as though Steven's album covers have come full circle.

View Profile   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #3 - 30. Oct 2011 at 03:06

haha, ive never considered the person on the cover of OTSOL to be male. haha, i should look harder at it.

And yeah I agree, does have a similar vibe to gfd.

brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #4 - 06. Nov 2011 at 14:59

Quote from 4ctmam on 26. Oct 2011 at 19:14:

BTW: You are missing Stars Die.

I'll go for my answer posted in 2008:  

"I likely go for the piano falling from the sky".

(I wonder what happened to the search tool. It is a little white space right in the top right. Huh )

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
Rosettastoned729
PTF Junior

Reply #5 - 07. Nov 2011 at 01:47

I voted In Absentia. So f**king creepy. Fits with the general theme of the album. That is not to say that IA isn't my favorite PT album, or at least doesn't have some of my favorite songs they've ever done, but songs like TCHaMT, STS, and GE alone make it in my opinion their creepiest album, which makes the artwork 100% fitting as well as my personal favorite artwork of theirs in general.  

The Incident is really the only PT album where I never cared for the artwork. I still don't. Maybe there's something I'm not getting with the whole hand thing somehow (maybe?) tying into the album's concepts of the media's detachment from humanity when reporting on tragic incidents and Steven's reflections on key moments in his life, but even if it does tie into the themes, I'd say it's an "ugly" album to look at. I love listening to it, but the art to me is simplistic and bland.

View Profile   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #6 - 08. Nov 2011 at 05:50

Quote from brian_sever34 on 06. Nov 2011 at 14:59:
Quote from 4ctmam on 26. Oct 2011 at 19:14:

BTW: You are missing Stars Die.

I'll go for my answer posted in 2008:

"I likely go for the piano falling from the sky".

(I wonder what happened to the search tool. It is a little white space right in the top right. Huh )

I didnt include it was i was really looking for favourite studio album cover, which i should of specified.
Stars Die is an awesome cover though I agree!

Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #7 - 08. Nov 2011 at 05:51

Quote from Rosettastoned729 on 07. Nov 2011 at 01:47:
I voted In Absentia. So f**king creepy. Fits with the general theme of the album. That is not to say that IA isn't my favorite PT album, or at least doesn't have some of my favorite songs they've ever done, but songs like TCHaMT, STS, and GE alone make it in my opinion their creepiest album, which makes the artwork 100% fitting as well as my personal favorite artwork of theirs in general.

The Incident is really the only PT album where I never cared for the artwork. I still don't. Maybe there's something I'm not getting with the whole hand thing somehow (maybe?) tying into the album's concepts of the media's detachment from humanity when reporting on tragic incidents and Steven's reflections on key moments in his life, but even if it does tie into the themes, I'd say it's an "ugly" album to look at. I love listening to it, but the art to me is simplistic and bland.

Yeah i was quite diappointed with it when I first saw it. Was very underwhelming.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print