Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
29. Jun 2017 at 13:38
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cover Versions to ipod (Read 1362 times)
Marty50
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Newbie

Cover Versions to ipod
10. Oct 2011 at 18:29

I'm trying to group all the cover versions by SW onto my ipod as one album. I keep getting multiple albums titled "cover version" despite renaming each single cd as "cover version" (without the numbers 1, 11, 111, etc) which i thought would group the songs together but this is not happening. I've also numbered each song as they were released eg. "four trees down" as track 6 etc.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Re: Cover Versions to ipod
Reply #1 - 10. Oct 2011 at 20:21

Quote from Marty50 on 10. Oct 2011 at 18:29:
I'm trying to group all the cover versions by SW onto my ipod as one album. I keep getting multiple albums titled "cover version" despite renaming each single cd as "cover version" (without the numbers 1, 11, 111, etc) which i thought would group the songs together but this is not happening. I've also numbered each song as they were released eg. "four trees down" as track 6 etc.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know the first thing about I-pods or audio-files, so excuse me if me suggestion might appear somewhat ignorant or obvious but:
Did you only change the name of the files? or did you actually edit the "tags"? You probably need to do the latter for a device to recognise it as a single album. There are free "tag editor" tools availabl, think I used something called mp3tag or something whenever I screwed up while ripping CD's.

View Profile   IP Logged
Marty50
PTF Newbie

Reply #2 - 10. Oct 2011 at 20:48

I have edited the tags but still getting multiple albums instead of one album.  cry

View Profile   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #3 - 10. Oct 2011 at 22:54

Quote from Marty50 on 10. Oct 2011 at 20:48:
I have edited the tags but still getting multiple albums instead of one album. cry

I had a similar problem once, again, at the risk of making a really stupid/obvious suggestion: Did you use a tag-editor that allows you to fill in "album"? This usually solved it for me.  
A kind of laborious workaround might be to burn them all to disc, rip the disc using Exact audio copy, this will give you the opportunity to label it as an album, and manually fill in everything, they should then probably be proberly tagged.

View Profile   IP Logged
mixtaped
yhW?

Reply #4 - 12. Oct 2011 at 07:43

Yes, TAKO is right.

On Windows, I use the free Mp3tag. Once installed, put all the Cover Version MP3s in one directory on your hard drive, right-click on that directory and choose "Mp3tag". The program will open with the files in that directory: Ctrl+A to select all files, and fill out the field "Album" on the left to something like "Cover Version I-VI" and "Artist" with "Steven Wilson" of course. Ctrl+S (save) and done.

There's a "Auto-numbering wizard" for the "Track" field (Ctrl-K), and you could also fill out the other fields (such as Title) on the left for each selected individual MP3.

I hope that does help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Marty50
PTF Newbie

Reply #5 - 12. Oct 2011 at 18:53

Thanks for all your help.

View Profile   IP Logged
papapk
PTF Junior

Reply #6 - 12. Oct 2011 at 20:06

Can't you just make a playlist with all 12 numbers? I've done that Smiley The first and probably last playlist I'll ever make.

View Profile   IP Logged
ACF
yhW?

Reply #7 - 13. Oct 2011 at 14:35

Every other field needs to be the same too to get the numbering right.  If you have one album called "Cover" that is from 2002 and one from 2008, they likely won't all be listed together.  Likewise, if you have different artists, etc. that will distinguish them.  

If you change all the names to the same artist (like "SW Cover Bands") and the dates to the same year, and the number of tracks on the album to the same number (i.e., 5 of 20, 6 of 20, 7 of 20, etc. not 5 of 12, 6 of ___, 7 of 20), etc. then they should all group together.

Usually my problem is getting the tracks by the same artist in the right order if I have gotten them from different sources like amazon mp3, iTunes, and ripping a CD.  Something ends up tweaked in the fields and they don't get properly sorted.

View Profile   IP Logged
Magnus
PTF Newbie

Reply #8 - 16. Oct 2011 at 07:08

Also check in iTunes if you don't have different names in the "album artist" field. There is a difference between "artist" and "album artist".

View Profile   IP Logged
MorbidStalker
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #9 - 20. Nov 2011 at 21:09

I assume you got your issue sorted out by now? If you haven't, I know exactly how to help you fix it. Let me know!  Smiley

Email View Profile WWW MorbidStalker silent_nightdrifter   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print