Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
18. Aug 2017 at 02:10
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help with starting to make music (Read 1085 times)
Et in Arcadia Ego
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF God

Les fleurs du mal

Need help with starting to make music
22. Sep 2011 at 18:39

So I've been meaning to try and learn how to use certain computer programs for creating ambiental/electronic music, but I really don't know where to start. I also remember some people here posting which programs they use and what they created using them. Could anyone give me any direction and a few suggestions as in which software I should check out? Thanks in advance!

I'm a postmodern vegetarian - I eat meat ironically.
Email View Profile   IP Logged
bodiesinflight57
PTF Junior

the voice of reason

Re: Need help with starting to make music
Reply #1 - 22. Sep 2011 at 23:07

Cubase is the best for production and mixing in my opinion. It's really very simple to use and comes with a variety of cool effects.  

A great little tool is also the Korg Kaossilator, steal at 120? odd pounds for creating interesting electronic sounds and stuff.  

Is everything going to be programmed or are you actually going to be playing some stuff as well? From what I know (although my programming experience is limited) I would recommend more complicated (albeit I believe more rewarding) use of sequencers and samplers, etc than purely using software.

So now the tears come easily and she
She promises to change her ways
But it's not about what you do
It's who you are that matters these days
View Profile   IP Logged
Et in Arcadia Ego
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF God

Les fleurs du mal

Reply #2 - 25. Sep 2011 at 21:45

Thank you very much for your response!  Smiley I'm afraid I'll be going for programming only, as my playing skills have withered somewhat...As far as sequencers and samplers go, that's something I'd like to give a shot, but for now I'll just settle for something simpler, like Cubase. Smiley

I'm a postmodern vegetarian - I eat meat ironically.
Email View Profile   IP Logged
chipyting
PTF Junior

Reply #3 - 18. Oct 2011 at 21:07

I use Logic studio, I really like it.

View Profile   IP Logged
cwig
PTF Newbie

Reply #4 - 02. Nov 2011 at 19:03

Quote from Et in Arcadia Ego on 22. Sep 2011 at 18:39:
So I've been meaning to try and learn how to use certain computer programs for creating ambiental/electronic music, but I really don't know where to start. I also remember some people here posting which programs they use and what they created using them. Could anyone give me any direction and a few suggestions as in which software I should check out?

I use Studio One. Version 2, released a couple of weeks ago, is really great.

http://studioone.presonus.com/

View Profile   IP Logged
Mind_Sculpture
PTF Full Member

Reply #5 - 09. Nov 2011 at 23:44

I also use Logic Studio. It is by far the best music making software I have ever used. If it is for ambient/ electronic music, you might want to try the likes of Fruity Loops, Reason or Ableton Live.

Email View Profile WWW Mind_Sculpture http://www.myspace.com/mindsculpturems   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print