Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
27. Jun 2017 at 13:14
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
SW hints at PT remasters w/out compression... (Read 10212 times)
SufferingFromNostalgia
Topic Starter Topic Starter
yhW?
I've Donated!

I Still Wave At The
Dots On The Shore

SW hints at PT remasters w/out compression...
11. Jul 2011 at 01:17

folks who don't follow SW's Facebook...not incredibly groundbreaking news but this from SW in response to a fan complaining of some of the PT catalog being too compressed & the like:

"Unfortunately there are a number of PT albums, including some done by myself, that need to be remastered without the limiting / compression that was the prevailing trend until quite recently. I hope in time this will be done."-SW

Email View Profile   IP Logged
pulse
PTF Full Member
I've Donated!

collapse the light
into earth...

Re: SW hints at PT remasters w/out compression...
Reply #1 - 11. Jul 2011 at 04:03

This would be awesome. I have hoped Steven would remaster the entire catalog in full resolution for individual album releases and perhaps a single boxed set release. I am ready for those Blu-ray discs! Bring it on!

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -- Tyrion Lannister, George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Simon_LDT
PTF Senior

Reply #2 - 11. Jul 2011 at 09:51

This is a godsend. If they end up on CD/Blu-ray digibooks or something similar that would be absolutely killer!

Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #3 - 11. Jul 2011 at 12:52

I've never noticed any of PT's albums to be terribly compressed.  Any ideas what he's talking about?

.. OK, I just wrote that and thought I'd check myself by pulling in a couple of songs from In Absentia into Audacity and look at the waveform... Nevermind

Email View Profile skeptycalone skeptycalone   IP Logged
Simon_LDT
PTF Senior

Reply #4 - 11. Jul 2011 at 12:58

In Absentia and Deadwing are crushed to hell. The 2003/4 remasters SW did himself are compressed but not terribly so (but still bad enough imho). FOABP and Incident are fine.

static
yhW?
I've Donated!

orphan coal

Reply #5 - 11. Jul 2011 at 18:17

the LBS remaster is fine as well.

i really hope to see this idea come to fruition. i would absolutely buy a boxset or a Blu-Ray set with everything at good levels with breathing room.

NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #6 - 11. Jul 2011 at 21:39

So I guess eventually we'll see remasters of 'In Absentia' and 'Deadwing'.

View Profile   IP Logged
prodigal son
PTF Full Member

Reply #7 - 11. Jul 2011 at 22:44

IA and Deadwing are the only two albums in the band's back catalog that they don't own outright. So it may be a while, yet, before the remasters happen.

Carl_Glover
PTF Full Member

Reply #8 - 12. Jul 2011 at 07:33

They don't own any of the albums up to Lightbulb Sun either.

View Profile   IP Logged
wayfarer
PTF Junior

Reply #9 - 04. Oct 2011 at 13:21

Blu-ray versions of the PT back catalogue would be awesome! SW's GFD is superb in HiDef Smiley

Radikal_Dreamer
PTF Senior

Reply #10 - 04. Oct 2011 at 16:43

If I'm going to rebuy all my PT albums I'm going to hope it's in box set form, so I can get it over with all at once. That and I love box sets, since it makes all the releases conform to one design standard, and they all look really awesome, usually.

Roksoff
PTF Full Member

Reply #11 - 04. Oct 2011 at 23:35

If its going to be a boxset dont expect it soon.
Would take an awful lot of time and effort to remaster that many albums all in one go. I get the impression time is something that SW doesnt have much of these days with all the other busy projects he does.

Also cant see a boxset containing all the albums selling that well TBH, most fans here alone already own multiple copies of these albums in various formats. And how much would such a boxset cost?

http://www.thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/index.php
Radikal_Dreamer
PTF Senior

Reply #12 - 05. Oct 2011 at 01:27

Quote from Roksoff on 04. Oct 2011 at 23:35:
Would take an awful lot of time and effort to remaster that many albums all in one go. I get the impression time is something that SW doesnt have much of these days with all the other busy projects he does.

Also cant see a boxset containing all the albums selling that well TBH, most fans here alone already own multiple copies of these albums in various formats. And how much would such a boxset cost?

Are you really questioning whether a good portion of the fans here would buy a box set? I own all the PT albums, multiples of some, and I really never buy multiples, and I'd probably pick up a remastered box set no questions asked.  

That said, yeah I'm not holding my breath. If anything I'm sure it'll be a slow process where he remasters one every once in a while and releases it.

pulse
PTF Full Member
I've Donated!

collapse the light
into earth...

Reply #13 - 05. Oct 2011 at 02:53

Quote from Radikal_Dreamer on 05. Oct 2011 at 01:27:
Quote from Roksoff on 04. Oct 2011 at 23:35:

Are you really questioning whether a good portion of the fans here would buy a box set? I own all the PT albums, multiples of some, and I really never buy multiples, and I'd probably pick up a remastered box set no questions asked.

That said, yeah I'm not holding my breath. If anything I'm sure it'll be a slow process where he remasters one every once in a while and releases it.

Yeah, I've already posted, so obviously my stance is known. But the reasons are simple. The entire catalog remastered according to Steven's recent thoughts on compression and the loudness war, and the potential for high resolution lpcm stereo and mlp surround. That would be wonderful. Of course, to push this even further, I would want each album to include all of the bonus tracks found on the DVD-a versions. Wink

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -- Tyrion Lannister, George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Starxgamer12
PTF Full Member

Reply #14 - 05. Oct 2011 at 03:11

My problem with a remastered box set is that it is for bands that are no longer making albums (or relevant albums).

Mrguy
PTF Senior

[Something clever or
witty]

Reply #15 - 05. Oct 2011 at 05:34

Would you call Autechre, arguably one of the most important electronic artists, an irrelevant band?

They are still pumping out solid albums (and to many people, still getting even better) and released an EP box set earlier this year.

pulse
PTF Full Member
I've Donated!

collapse the light
into earth...

Reply #16 - 05. Oct 2011 at 05:38

Quote from Starxgamer12 on 05. Oct 2011 at 03:11:
My problem with a remastered box set is that it is for bands that are no longer making albums (or relevant albums).

I'm just down with the remastering and re-release of the entire catalog, but it doesn't have to be a boxed set. There are some things that could use a new release. Deadwing and IA come to mind. Moonloop also comes to mind because of its scarcity. But it would be convenient if they were to release them all at the same time. A boxed set could make for some really awesome packaging, if none other than a complete and aesthetically pleasing container for all of the media/digibooks. But ultimately, it's the potential for an improvement in sound quality over the original mixes/masterings. Just not sure when SW will have the time to finish this up. I admit, I'd rather have a new PT album first.

Keepa
PTF God
I've Donated!

Stay frosty!

Reply #17 - 05. Oct 2011 at 06:17

I'm fine with remastering with out compression. Box set or no box set, it doesn't matter. The box set, if done right, I would probably partake in that. I really would like to have all the PT albums Steven has done in DVD-A form to be re-released in BluRay. That I would want to buy first.

Email View Profile WWW http://www.myspace.com/mrkeepa   IP Logged
Roksoff
PTF Full Member

Reply #18 - 05. Oct 2011 at 10:57

Are you really questioning whether a good portion of the fans here would buy a box set

Yes. I am a massive fan but wouldn't buy it because its shiny discs. I find it difficult to get excited or passionate about anything cd/bluray. If it were a vinyl remastered set then thats a different matter.  
I agree with what Starxgamer said plus dont expect any new material during the long remastering process of all these albums.  
And where does it stop?
And whats wrong with vinyl? áGrin

PimPong
PTF God

Reply #19 - 05. Oct 2011 at 14:12

Quote from Roksoff on 05. Oct 2011 at 10:57:
Are you really questioning whether a good portion of the fans here would buy a box set

Yes. I am a massive fan but wouldn't buy it because its shiny discs. I find it difficult to get excited or passionate about anything cd/bluray. If it were a vinyl remastered set then thats a different matter.
I agree with what Starxgamer said plus dont expect any new material during the long remastering process of all these albums.
And where does it stop?
And whats wrong with vinyl? áGrin

I seriously doubt that I would buy a remastered box set. If he released the albums as they were as far as the content, just remastered, there is no way. If he added the b-sides that I have already collected, still no way. If he added previously unreleased music from the respective eras, then I might, but that would depend on the price (probably unlikely).

View Profile   IP Logged
SCO
PTF Junior
I've Donated!

Reply #20 - 05. Oct 2011 at 22:58

Depends what they mean by remastering. Remastering in it's true sense and how it is used these days is simply to check and adjust( if required ) the EQ of the whole mix and using compression to boost the bass and compress highs so the records sound loud.  Doing this will take no time at all.  Completely remixing will take a lot longer.  As Steven has said remastering is just a marketing con.

View Profile   IP Logged
pulse
PTF Full Member
I've Donated!

collapse the light
into earth...

Reply #21 - 06. Oct 2011 at 09:01

Quote from SCO on 05. Oct 2011 at 22:58:
I agree with what Starxgamer said plus dont expect any new material during the long remastering process of all these albums. á

Depends what they mean by remastering. Remastering in it's true sense and how it is used these days is simply to check and adjust( if required ) the EQ of the whole mix and using compression to boost the bass and compress highs so the records sound loud. áDoing this will take no time at all. áCompletely remixing will take a lot longer. áAs Steven has said remastering is just a marketing con.

I think it's pretty obvious from the onset of this conversation and Steven Wilson's comments, this is exactly not his intention.

static
yhW?
I've Donated!

orphan coal

Reply #22 - 07. Oct 2011 at 01:29

Quote from SCO on 05. Oct 2011 at 22:58:
I agree with what Starxgamer said plus dont expect any new material during the long remastering process of all these albums. á

Depends what they mean by remastering. Remastering in it's true sense and how it is used these days is simply to check and adjust( if required ) the EQ of the whole mix and using compression to boost the bass and compress highs so the records sound loud. áDoing this will take no time at all. áCompletely remixing will take a lot longer. áAs Steven has said remastering is just a marketing con.

there's actually a lot more to mastering than that, those are just the most obviously audible bits of the process.

remastering is a marketing con for Pink Floyd and Miles Davis-level names, not PT.

Kashmir75
PTF Full Member

Reply #23 - 12. Oct 2011 at 02:40

Quote from Radikal_Dreamer on 04. Oct 2011 at 16:43:
If I'm going to rebuy all my PT albums I'm going to hope it's in box set form, so I can get it over with all at once. That and I love box sets, since it makes all the releases conform to one design standard, and they all look really awesome, usually.

I hope they do something like the Pink Floyd boxset recently. I already own everything by PT, but if they did a remastered boxset, I would so buy it, lol

View Profile   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #24 - 13. Oct 2011 at 06:26

I'm happy at this time if they finish releasing the rest of their catalog in digibooks.  
I hope IA and Deadwing are next.

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
Tree_Frog
yhW?

Reply #25 - 10. Nov 2011 at 21:26

A reasonably priced boxset, might interest me.  But if this happens, I just think it will be INSANELY expensive.  Going by Headphonedust/Burninshed prices and the sheer number of albums/cds we are talking about.  Now if they licensed this out to a major record label, then the price might come down out of the stratosphere.

View Profile   IP Logged
Radtoy
PTF Junior

I'm the Original!

Reply #26 - 12. Nov 2011 at 02:47

I haven't read all of the posts, but I believe the title to the thread should be SW hints at PT remasters w/less compression. Someone can correct me if they know I am wrong, but ALL recordings are compressed, sometimes several times. Basically they squash down the high end and cut off some of the low end. The recent prevailing trend is to master all recordings louder and louder, This means the range of the volume is loud to really loud instead of quiet to loud. Even vinyl is compressed music that is expanded (to some extent)  during playback.

Life is fun,
It's full of stuff.
View Profile http://www.myspace.com/dougkostelnik   IP Logged
petrucci07
PTF Newbie

Reply #27 - 22. Dec 2011 at 16:43

Quote from Radtoy on 12. Nov 2011 at 02:47:
I haven't read all of the posts, but I believe the title to the thread should be SW hints at PT remasters w/less compression. Someone can correct me if they know I am wrong, but ALL recordings are compressed, sometimes several times. Basically they squash down the high end and cut off some of the low end. The recent prevailing trend is to master all recordings louder and louder, This means the range of the volume is loud to really loud instead of quiet to loud. Even vinyl is compressed music that is expanded (to some extent) áduring playback.

You're right about that. This is compression during mixing. If there was no compression on anything, things would sound weird, because we wouldn't be used to such dynamic range.  

However, the compression SW is referring to here is compression during mastering. This is usually done with a limiter, and squashes more gain into a smaller space, meaning a squashed sound and some clipping. Combine this with turning the gain up too high, and you get even more clipping (Hence the chorus of Open Car sounding very very fat, but a little squashed and with a little clipping).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pluto
PTF Newbie

Reply #28 - 15. Feb 2012 at 22:21

And here they come! Taken from the SW Official Facebook page:

Quote:
A new 2LP vinyl edition of the third Porcupine Tree album "The Sky Moves Sideways" is now in stock at Burning Shed. This was a transitional album, with half of it made still in solo mode, and the other half beginning to integrate the band line up. Not the greatest album sonically (I was still finding my way and it was recorded on very harsh sounding early digital equipment at 16 bit), the 2012 vinyl edition at least now features the first of what I hope will be a series of "anti-loudness" remasters - in contrast to earlier editions, this one features hardly any compression (so it's much more dynamic) and also backs off most of the brightness and other EQ that was added to previous editions. It definitely sounds a little more listenable to me (-:

View Profile   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #29 - 15. Feb 2012 at 22:48

Quote from Pluto on 15. Feb 2012 at 22:21:
And here they come! Taken from the SW Official Facebook page:

Quote:
A new 2LP vinyl edition of the third Porcupine Tree album "The Sky Moves Sideways" is now in stock at Burning Shed. This was a transitional album, with half of it made still in solo mode, and the other half beginning to integrate the band line up. Not the greatest album sonically (I was still finding my way and it was recorded on very harsh sounding early digital equipment at 16 bit), the 2012 vinyl edition at least now features the first of what I hope will be a series of "anti-loudness" remasters - in contrast to earlier editions, this one features hardly any compression (so it's much more dynamic) and also backs off most of the brightness and other EQ that was added to previous editions. It definitely sounds a little more listenable to me (-:

Thanks for sharing. I saw he posted that, then deleted it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Simon_LDT
PTF Senior

Reply #30 - 16. Feb 2012 at 00:07

Sounds excellent to me.

NC
PTF Newbie

Reply #31 - 16. Feb 2012 at 17:31

Great news! I've always thought that Dislocated Day, in particular, came off as quite harsh.

View Profile   IP Logged
Roberto.
PTF Junior

Reply #32 - 16. Feb 2012 at 19:44

Quote from NC on 16. Feb 2012 at 17:31:
Great news! I've always thought that Dislocated Day, in particular, came off as quite harsh.

I agree. I find it too "in your face". Every instrument is too loud in the cd version and that saturates me. I like the song though and hope that the new mastering will make it more enjoyable for me.

View Profile   IP Logged
Roksoff
PTF Full Member

Reply #33 - 16. Feb 2012 at 22:18

I've always thought the 3 lp Delerium vinyl edition sounded great. Never had any issues at all.
Will be good to compare one against the other.
If its of the same ilk as Grace for Drowning then it should be a treat on the ears.

Roberto.
PTF Junior

Reply #34 - 17. Feb 2012 at 13:09

My copy was sent today! I bought it yesterday. Wow, that's fast! I'm really looking forward to having it here!  Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
christopher_lee
PTF Junior

Reply #35 - 17. Feb 2012 at 21:28

Maybe I get on somebody┤s bad side by saying that I am happy with the quality of all PT albums up today, at least of those albums we got within the last ten years. For me it makes no sense to buy a remastered Deadwing or In Absentia album when there is no significant difference in comparison to the original version, regardless of listening to it by earphones attached to an iPod or over a hifi unit of average quality with average loudspeakers. This is for young PT fans who do not own the original album, or for hifi freaks who have just bought high end speakers. The inflational re-release of albums raises the suspicion that the aim is to sell things a second time. Do not misunderstand me; I think Steven is a perfectionist who has the intention to make completely perfect music, from the first to the last note. Let us hope all new albums will be of such a superb quality as the last three ones. But the albums they released before are not junk; so the target group is rather small, in my opinion.

By the way, I am convinced that blue-ray has an expiration date in about ten or fifteen years.

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print