Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
29. Jun 2017 at 13:39
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Poll
Question: Do you throw away CD/DVD cases to save space ?

Yes indeed !  
  3 (6.9%)
Never, you freak.  
  35 (81.3%)
Not yet, later perhaps.  
  3 (6.9%)
I only listen to 128kpbs mp3 on my iPod.  
  2 (4.6%)

Total votes: 43
« Created by: Stone on: 10. Jul 2011 at 10:37 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Throwing away CD cases (Read 2226 times)
Stone
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Full Member

5.1 Surrounded.

Throwing away CD cases
10. Jul 2011 at 10:37

Hi there. I recently reorganized my music collection, and wanted to collect your opinions on CD cases. Do you, after purchasing a CD/DVD, save the disc and the cover/inlay before getting rid of the crystal case ? Or do you keep the whole think on your bookshelves ?

Due to some space issues in my flat, I infortunately had to separate it all. I keep the covers and booklets in plastic punched pockets gathered in a file, the discs in soft paper sleeves, and the cases in a box in my basement. I kept all digipacks, cardboard boxes, special editions, but removed anything that was replaceable. I'm kinda sad I can't expose them proudly anymore, but my LP collection was getting way too important, and they look better than those plastic horrors.

Am I the only one to do that here ? Am I insane ? Will I burn in hell ?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Re: Throwing away CD cases
Reply #1 - 11. Jul 2011 at 16:24

What a bizarre concept.

It's never occurred to me to throw away cases and keep CDs in paper sleeves. As a matter of fact the few CDs that I do possess that are in thin cardboard sleeves annoy me because they are harder to organize - the spine cannot hold the title so the only way I can find one of them is to look at the titles on either side (I store my CDs in alphabetical order). In any case, while it's true that CDs are generally not as visually appealing as LPs, that's only because of the size. It seems to me that if you have a problem with space, you should record all your LPs to CDs or to thumb drives and toss those vinyl monsters with their great big cumbersome covers.

As for the poll... I didn't vote because I didn't want to be insulting. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Stone
PTF Full Member

5.1 Surrounded.

Reply #2 - 11. Jul 2011 at 21:28

TOSS MY VINYL COLLECTION !?

bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #3 - 12. Jul 2011 at 05:53

Quote from Stone on 11. Jul 2011 at 21:28:

You're right, you shouldn't toss it. They are probably not biodegradable.  
You should be able to get some cash for it at one of those nostalgia vinyl shops, or on eBay.

View Profile   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #4 - 15. Jul 2011 at 02:20

Never...  
I had to move several years ago, my collection was much smaller that it is now, and I had to move all my CDs into 3 or 4 big folders.  
Eventually when I settled down, I returned those back to their original cases, plus I continued to collect and store all new ones as they are.  
My collection is becoming unmanageable now, I think it is getting close to 3,500 and they are staying in their original packages. Real estate for media is at a premium in my room but I have no plans to throw away the original cases. Smiley

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
Stone
PTF Full Member

5.1 Surrounded.

Reply #5 - 15. Jul 2011 at 12:19

Quote from bob_32_116 on 12. Jul 2011 at 05:53:
Quote from Stone on 11. Jul 2011 at 21:28:

You're right, you shouldn't toss it. They are probably not biodegradable.
You should be able to get some cash for it at one of those nostalgia vinyl shops, or on eBay.

This collection covers 60 years of music and is worth several thousand bucks now, I'll chop my balls off before I get rid of it.

The moment I realized how much I disliked crystal cases was when I separated digibooks from regular CDs. I had all those beautiful objects on a side, and a sh#tload of plastic ones on another side, it only took a minute to decide.

Roksoff
PTF Full Member

Reply #6 - 23. Jul 2011 at 19:56

You are not alone with this concept Stone.
I done the same for my ceedees to make way for more vinyl.
I used a big dj style flight box which stored 1000 cd and sleeves in individual pockets. It was heavy so fitted some coaster type wheels to the case so I could wheel it out of the way when not in use. The unused cases and all the other rarely if ever listened to cds went up into the loft.
I've recently remodelled my listening room and made allowances for cd and vinyl storage so had to put the sleeves and cds back into their cases which was a ball breaker of a job....................for my girlfriend. Smiley

I think the others are right, you should get rid of your vinyl collection. I'll help if you want. Wink

http://www.thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/index.php
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Swoogle
PTF Junior

Reply #7 - 28. Jul 2011 at 17:40

It actually depends on the CD-case. Some CD-cases are quite rubbish with the cd's packed in too tightly and with no decent way to fluently remove it out of the package. I replace those cases with a better one. But I don't throw the whole thing away. It kind of loses it's charm if you save all your cd's in some cd map somewhere. Now I kind of wished DVD's had the same cases CD's have. If something eats up space it's DVD cases. I bought too many DVD's in my youth.  Tongue

View Profile   IP Logged
Mrguy
PTF Senior

[Something clever or
witty]

Reply #8 - 29. Jul 2011 at 11:36

Dvd cases are completely illogical to me...

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #9 - 29. Jul 2011 at 18:20

It just occurred to me how you can kill two birds with one stone, Stone:

Put the CDs in paper sleeves, toss the vinyl, and store the CDs in the LP packages! If necessary you could fit more than one CD in an LP package, with room to spare for any other memorabilia related to the CD: magazine clippings, your own notes, etc etc.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print