Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
21. Aug 2017 at 16:53
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gavin clinic -> D-Day, Meppel (NL) 25.06.11 (Read 1165 times)
dfbuem
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Junior

Gavin clinic -> D-Day, Meppel (NL) 25.06.11
26. Jun 2011 at 01:10

While the clinics in Italy, Switzerland and the UK were unaccessible for me, I was glad that I made it to Holland to see Gavin.  

He performed for about 90 minutes. He played the following tracks:

• Sound of Muzak
  • Unsettled (from "Drop" with 05ric)
  • Futile (Big Band Version! Shocked)
  • Bonnie the Cat
  • Anesthetize (middle section)
  • 19 days
  • Jazz tune

In between the tracks he answered lots of questions and explained and demonstrated many techniques. Here are some things I remember:

- someone asked about a part in "Way out of here". Gavin explained it as his hands playing a typical African groove while his feet play the pattern of "the famous song Bleed by Meshuggah Smiley" . Then he played the part and amazingly you could really recognize the African groove and the Meshuggah and together it was "Way out of here"!

- someone asked about the crazy sh*t in "Halo" and Gavin played it and explained it

- someone asked how he plays laid back on a metronome click. Gavin replied that he was influenced by two drummers (I forgot their names Sad) and that hes always on the latest possible millisecond of the beat. So his drumming is always very laid back. He demonstrated this with a jazzy play-along track.

- Gavin talked about the challenge of inventing new drum patterns. He was influenced by Steve Jansen from Japan who doesnt have a great technique, but who is creative in making new patterns. He then played a typical Steve Jansen pattern which was simple 4/4, but innovative (Snare on 1 and 2). As it is a challenge to invent really new drum patterns it is even harder to do this in a simple 4/4 beat because billions of songs are in 4/4. So he is a bit proud that he managed to invent a new pattern with Bonnie the Cat which is a simple 4/4. He then played it and after this he demonstrated that its really 4/4 and that its really odd!! The audience had to clap a simple straight beat and he played Bonnie the cat along with it.

- Before he played 19 days he talked about his favour of odd meters and how he counts them (always groups of two and three)

- He showed the double bass work in Anesthetize which is "a lot easier than it sounds" Grin

Here are some crappy pics from my pocket camera

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Re: Gavin clinic -> D-Day, Meppel (NL) 25.06.11
Reply #1 - 26. Jun 2011 at 05:33

Excellent post! Thanks for sharing.  

I really wish Gavin would/could do a drum clinic tour in the US!

View Profile   IP Logged
navigator
yhW?

Reply #2 - 27. Jun 2011 at 07:07

I was lucky to attend a clinic in Switzerland. It was a great experience. Here's my review: http://tsonol.tumblr.com/post/6784642427/live-gavin-harrison-drum-clinic-prattel n-ch  

nav

dfbuem
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Junior

Reply #3 - 27. Jun 2011 at 20:41

Quote from navigator on 27. Jun 2011 at 07:07:
I was lucky to attend a clinic in Switzerland. It was a great experience. Here's my review:

Thanks for sharing.

I agree with most of it except the very first sentence! Grin

Iris
PTF Full Member
I've Donated!

Mens sibi conscia
recti!

Reply #4 - 08. Oct 2011 at 01:48

It appears that when Gavin gives a clinic in Holland, i'm occupied.
Wanted to visit Meppel, couldn't go.
Ittervoort, couldn't go.  
Missed him twice in 3 months time ...

" I think, therefor I am " - Descartes
" I live, and so I wonder " - Warrel Dane
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print