Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
23. Aug 2017 at 03:21
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steven Wilson and Jordan Rudess (of dream theatre) (Read 6957 times)
IMoveSideways
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Full Member

set guitars to kill

Steven Wilson and Jordan Rudess (of dream theatre)
07. Jun 2011 at 01:28

Attendees of the Blackfield concert (myself included) in Los Angeles were delighted to hear that Jordan Rudess came out to play.

He put on quite a show, playing his solo renditions of classic tunes including Pink Floyd. He even showed off a few gadgets of his using a iPad, Grin during this time he played King Crimson's Moon Child!  

But what excited me most was when I spotted Steven Wilson setting up to the side of the stage, I hoped we might hear a duet much like those done in the past with Lazarus. So I was ecstatic when Steven joined Rudess on stage to play what is perhaps my all-time favorite Porcupine Tree track, Even Less.  

Research concludes that this wasn't the first time they did this, but it was the first time I heard it and I'm soo grateful that they took advantage of this rare opportunity for us fans and for themselves.

Oh, and Blackfield were great, and a lot heavier than expected. Wink They played Open Mind, Blackfield, Zigota, Hello, Pain, Dissolving With The Night and many more greats. I got to meet Steven and get my WTMDNA signed. Porcupine Tree aside, I couldn't really ask for a better SW and co. concert than last night's!

ps. I felt bad keeping SW from his flight home to attend his father's funeral, even for a few minutes.. For what it's worth I told him "My condolences, you made your father proud."

« Last Edit: 07. Jun 2011 at 09:40 by IMoveSideways »  

You keep me listening to The Bends
View Profile WWW monodrones@aim.com   IP Logged
jneil
PTF Junior

Re: Steven Wilson and Jordan Rudess (of dream thea
Reply #1 - 07. Jun 2011 at 16:35

Yes this was a great show - the band played with incredible energy and more intensity than last time at the Knitting Factory, which was more like a small night club vs the El Rey which is a true concert venue. And they didn't do Once twice - they had 3 albums of material to choose from this time. Highlights for me were 1000 People, Zigota, and Miss U. Also I was impressed with Aviv's piano chops on Dissolving With the Night. I'm convinced Aviv is a really good songwriter with an ear for melodies - his pairing with Steven is a real blessing for us PT fans and fans of good new music, which seems hard to find these days.

And Jordan Rudess was a pleasant surprise for me - what a gifted and accomplished pianist! Finally an opening act worth paying attention to. I'll have to check out Dream Theater.

I was sorry to see it end - back to reality.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #2 - 07. Jun 2011 at 19:11

Jordan has first worked with Aviv and SW on the semi-acoustic USA tour in march 2005 (including the XM session) and then later supported the Blackfield on some of the full band gigs in USA in 2005. SW would join him for a rendition of Lazarus then, there is a pretty good video of that available on youtube. Also, some time ago Jordan posted his solo improvised cover of Even Less on youtube. Last but not least, as most of you will know, SW provided vocals for the first half of JR's cover of ELP's Tarkus on his album The Road Home, whilw JR plays piano on a couple of tracks on Insurgentes and is rumoured to appear on the new SW album(s). So quite a collaboration between the two.

View Profile wp____ www.myspace.com/lavenderpoland   IP Logged
rainman
yhW?

Reply #3 - 07. Jun 2011 at 21:14

Sad on the passing of his father. I hope Blackfield comes back to Chicago at some point but doubt it will happen with all of Steven's projects for the balance of the year.

View Profile   IP Logged
papapk
PTF Junior

Reply #4 - 09. Jun 2011 at 18:35

A soundcheck has now been uploaded by Jordan! Truly beautiful Smiley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a570fuRwRtA

View Profile   IP Logged
IMoveSideways
PTF Full Member

set guitars to kill

Reply #5 - 10. Jun 2011 at 04:54

4ctmam, the official Steven Wilson Wiktionary Tongue

That's the soundcheck to the gig I attended, how fun! Cheesy

zakath
PTF Junior

Reply #6 - 10. Jun 2011 at 13:26

Rudess knows how to spoil a beautiful song. Less is more, why can't the man understand it. I know he has mad skills, but ... sometimes he just does TOO much. If I ever hear him do his treatment to collapse the light into earth or insurgentes, I'll cry. And not from happiness.

4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #7 - 10. Jun 2011 at 14:02

Quote from zakath on 10. Jun 2011 at 13:26:
Rudess knows how to spoil a beautiful song. Less is more, why can't the man understand it. I know he has mad skills, but ... sometimes he just does TOO much. If I ever hear him do his treatment to collapse the light into earth or insurgentes, I'll cry. And not from happiness.

Oh chill, he's only having some fun with the tune.

tominthebronx
PTF Junior

Reply #8 - 10. Jun 2011 at 18:20

I definitely see both sides to that, and my view changes with my mood. Roll Eyes

View Profile   IP Logged
4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #9 - 10. Jun 2011 at 19:19

Well, I agree that he overplays it, sure. But it's still just a song. A great one, but just a song and it's just a live cover.

IMoveSideways
PTF Full Member

set guitars to kill

Reply #10 - 11. Jun 2011 at 05:42

Oh and look at this incredible setlist, couldn't really ask for more from the band.

Blood
Blackfield
Glass House
Go to Hell
Open Mind
Pain
DNA
Waving
1,000 People
Once
The Hole in Me
Miss U
Zigota
Epidemic
Oxygen
Where Is My Love?
Dissolving with the Night
Encore:

Hello
End of the World
Cloudy Now  

Perfect. Smiley

I have to echo the call that many others have made, seeing some of these songs (that i wasn't crazy about) live made me a believer.

katxron40
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

rain! rain!!!

Reply #11 - 11. Jun 2011 at 07:51

Quote from 4ctmam on 10. Jun 2011 at 14:02:
Oh chill, he's only having some fun with the tune.

Ditto.  

I'm not a huge DT fan (sorry, just can't get past LaBrie) but as an opener Jordan was outstanding.
When SW played Even Less with him, I was in heaven. Not that it was a complete surprise either; we were standing outside the venue waiting to get in, the side door right next to the stage was open with SW and JR doing this as the soundcheck.

"do what you're gonna do, but until I change my mind, we're in C" - DT on bass guitar
clouds41
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #12 - 14. Jun 2011 at 17:04

Quote from katxron40 on 11. Jun 2011 at 07:51:
I'm not a huge DT fan (sorry, just can't get past LaBrie)

Same here.  

Listening to the Tarkus cover right now! Fantastic. Also checked out Even Less, was very nice, would love to hear more PT in the fashion.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
SCO
PTF Junior
I've Donated!

Reply #13 - 15. Jun 2011 at 04:33

Quote from 4ctmam on 10. Jun 2011 at 19:19:
Well, I agree that he overplays it, sure. But it's still just a song. A great one, but just a song and it's just a live cover.

Yes far too busy.  I  just watched a clip of him and Steven doing Lazarus  and he does the same - over plays and too  many fills. He maybe technically  great but  for me he isn't a good musician.  What he does might make him feel better but it doesn't  make the song better. It's the overall musical "picture" that's important not the individual. I'm actually suprised Steven even plays with him. Maybe I'm been too harsh and I just picked too worst examples of him playing as I don't really know of the guy or what he has done.

View Profile   IP Logged
4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #14 - 15. Jun 2011 at 09:25

Quote from SCO on 15. Jun 2011 at 04:33:
Quote from 4ctmam on 10. Jun 2011 at 19:19:

Yes far too busy. I just watched a clip of him and Steven doing Lazarus and he does the same - over plays and too many fills. He maybe technically great but for me he isn't a good musician. What he does might make him feel better but it doesn't make the song better. It's the overall musical "picture" that's important not the individual. I'm actually suprised Steven even plays with him. Maybe I'm been too harsh and I just picked too worst examples of him playing as I don't really know of the guy or what he has done.

As I said, he's having a bit of fun with those tunes. And I have to say in his defense, that he can hold back if that's what the song needs. Just listen to his piano on Veneno Para Las Hadas and Twilight Coda on Insurgentes.

SCO
PTF Junior
I've Donated!

Reply #15 - 15. Jun 2011 at 10:06

Quote from 4ctmam on 15. Jun 2011 at 09:25:

Yes far too busy. I just watched a clip of him and Steven doing Lazarus and he does the same - over plays and too many fills. He maybe technically great but for me he isn't a good musician. What he does might make him feel better but it doesn't make the song better. It's the overall musical "picture" that's important not the individual. I'm actually suprised Steven even plays with him. Maybe I'm been too harsh and I just picked too worst examples of him playing as I don't really know of the guy or what he has done.

As I said, he's having a bit of fun with those tunes. And I have to say in his defense, that he can hold back if that's what the song needs. Just listen to his piano on Veneno Para Las Hadas and Twilight Coda on Insurgentes.

That's the whole point. The song needs him to hold back so why didn't he.  He is having a bit of fun, great. I'm play guitar and it's like playing with a lot of other guitarists in that  all they want to hear are themselves and at the end they say that was fun and I say no you overplayed,  played too loud and didn't listen to the song. It's just plain bad form on his part.

View Profile   IP Logged
PTfan99
PTF Newbie

Reply #16 - 15. Jun 2011 at 18:33

Yes, it was a very pleasant surprise to see SW walk on stage and play Even Less here in SF as well.  That was completely unexpected and the Great American Music Hall was buzzing with excitement after that.

Steve was a real trooper to finish the US leg of the tour after his dad's passing.  I didn't learn about it until after the SF show and he didn't seem to be low on energy when he played.  It was a rocking show and I think all of us who were a bit lukewarm about the DNA album were pleasantly surprised to hear a heavier version of the music.

Sideways, nice of you to give him your condolences.  He has a very strong following here on the West Coast and I know he appreciates our support and love of his music.

View Profile   IP Logged
DesertChaos
PTF Full Member

Reply #17 - 16. Jun 2011 at 14:35

I saw them do this at the Portland show too. While it's really obvious that Jordan has talent I also think he overplays on just about everything, subtle just ain't his game. The version of "Moonchild" that he did with the iPad was pretty cool, and Even Less was very welcome, but other than that I felt everything else in his set was so over-done it was bordering on totally annoying.

View Profile   IP Logged
PTfan99
PTF Newbie

Reply #18 - 16. Jun 2011 at 19:16

I walked out of a Dream Theater concert a few years ago because their whole style is a bit over the top for me.  It was a prog metal concert in Oakland with Opeth and DT.  Between LaBrie's high pitched vocals and the "30 Years of Dream Theater" video, they seem a little too self important for my taste.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print