Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
26. Jun 2017 at 14:56
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Portland Show (Read 1752 times)
steam4449
Topic Starter Topic Starter
yhW?

The only Friend of
the SP 4449 who
knows PT

Portland Show
30. May 2011 at 17:36

Haven't been on the forum for a while ( Sad ), but I'm just curious as to who will be at the show this Wednesday in Portland? Smiley

I MAKE FILMS Cheesy - http://www.youtube.com/4449steam
Email View Profile WWW steam4449 steam4449 steam4449@yahoo.com PNWR1851@aol.com   IP Logged
DesertChaos
PTF Full Member

Re: Portland Show
Reply #1 - 31. May 2011 at 06:40

I will be!  Me and the Mrs got to Oregon on Saturday evening and are in the middle of touring around the state (down thru Crater Lake today, sitting in a hotel in Roseburg at the moment).

We've got to meet up with a couple friends when we get back to Portland on Wednesday, as well as see the mrs' cousins that live there....so unfortunately not much chance of any pre-show meet-ups or anything.

Sorry for Steven's loss but was glad to see that this show is going ahead.....

View Profile   IP Logged
steam4449
yhW?

The only Friend of
the SP 4449 who
knows PT

Reply #2 - 01. Jun 2011 at 03:02

Quote from DesertChaos on 31. May 2011 at 06:40:
I will be! Me and the Mrs got to Oregon on Saturday evening and are in the middle of touring around the state (down thru Crater Lake today, sitting in a hotel in Roseburg at the moment).

We've got to meet up with a couple friends when we get back to Portland on Wednesday, as well as see the mrs' cousins that live there....so unfortunately not much chance of any pre-show meet-ups or anything.

Sorry for Steven's loss but was glad to see that this show is going ahead.....

Alright. Sounds good to me. I'll be staying around that area, and stopping by the Brooklyn Roundhouse for a quick visit. So if you happen to drive by before the show, you'll probably see me Tongue

Email View Profile WWW steam4449 steam4449 steam4449@yahoo.com PNWR1851@aol.com   IP Logged
LateRally
PTF Newbie

Reply #3 - 01. Jun 2011 at 16:42

Did anyone go to the Seattle show last night? Any reviews/thoughts/setlist changes, etc.?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
DesertChaos
PTF Full Member

Reply #4 - 02. Jun 2011 at 16:33

Quick take as I'm on the road today.....

Portland was pretty good but not very well attended - theater looked about 1/3 full to me. Setlist was as I recall the same as they've been doing at the other North American shows.

Jordan Rudess opened. I'm not a huge fan of his - he's obviously talented but I don't find him particularly original. Highlight of his set was of course when Steven came out and they played a stripped down version of "Even Less."  Jordan also came out at the end of BF's encore set to play the kybd solo at the end of Cloudy Now....it was quite extended as you'd expect.

More thoughts later on....

oh, and Aviv kept his shirt on.

View Profile   IP Logged
DesertChaos
PTF Full Member

Reply #5 - 02. Jun 2011 at 16:41

Quote from LateRally on 01. Jun 2011 at 16:42:
Did anyone go to the Seattle show last night? Any reviews/thoughts/setlist changes, etc.?

this one is online:
http://blogcritics.org/music/article/concert-review-blackfield-at-studio-7/

View Profile   IP Logged
steam4449
yhW?

The only Friend of
the SP 4449 who
knows PT

Reply #6 - 04. Jun 2011 at 14:18

Quote from DesertChaos on 02. Jun 2011 at 16:33:
Portland was pretty good but not very well attended - theater looked about 1/3 full to me. Setlist was as I recall the same as they've been doing at the other North American shows.

I talked to Steven earlier that day, and he mentioned to me that the show was the WORST selling show in the whole tour, and that Blackfield most likely will not be coming back to Portland :/

nicebloke
PTF Newbie

Reply #7 - 08. Jun 2011 at 00:01

The San Francisco show was very well-attended, which was nice to see. Blackfield were absolutely awesome. I was really blown away by the energy and power without sacrificing any of the fidelity of the studio recordings. In some ways it was more engaging and entertaining than a PT show, albeit without the sense of scale and virtuosity. The band played about 20 songs, for a total of about 100 minutes.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
edley
PTF Junior

Reply #8 - 08. Jun 2011 at 19:02

Quote from nicebloke on 08. Jun 2011 at 00:01:
The San Francisco show was very well-attended, which was nice to see. Blackfield were absolutely awesome. I was really blown away by the energy and power without sacrificing any of the fidelity of the studio recordings. In some ways it was more engaging and entertaining than a PT show, albeit without the sense of scale and virtuosity. The band played about 20 songs, for a total of about 100 minutes.

I was at the SF show too and was blown away.  good crowd energy.  much better than the first time they were here 3 years ago.  they just sounded heavier.  the sound was gorgeous.  i was upstairs in the little balcony.  i have to say, that the fidelity of this show was better that any PT show I have seen, and i've been fortunate enough to see PT 9 times.  you could hear everyone in the band very clearly.  steven is using a new amp, a hughes and kettner rather than the bad cat, and it just cuts through the mix and is right in your face so i think that had something to do with the cleaner sound. i thought aviv's jacket with all the lights on it for "blood" was very cool and clever. can't wait until next time!

i am pleased to say that i have not seen one fan video on youtube of the show in SF.  nice to see people respecting the no video/audio recording policy that the band kindly asks us to adhere to.  i'm sure that people were recording but so far they haven't uploaded anything to the net and perhaps they just wanted a souvenir if you will, of a special show for their own enjoyment.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print