Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
26. Jun 2017 at 14:55
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Blackfield NYC & Philly Show's (Read 6762 times)
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Re: Blackfield NYC & Philly Show's
Reply #25 - 20. May 2011 at 04:34

Quote from marblesmike on 19. May 2011 at 15:29:
Quote from brian_sever34 on 19. May 2011 at 07:12:
Anathema in DC were amazing!!

Blackfield too Wink

Just kidding.....Great show, couldn't stay for after show, but both Anathema and Blackfield were great.
Aviv is wearing a very interesting and bright jacket !!!

What did they have at the merch stand? Any vinyl?

Sorry, didn't check. I got t-shirts mainly, one from Anathema and one from Blackfield. I saw Anathema's 7 inch and Welcome to my DNA, but wasn't looking very hard for vinyl.

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
quentin
Topic Starter Topic Starter
yhW?

Reply #26 - 20. May 2011 at 11:49

Enjoyed the Philly show. Blackfield does sound heavier live. Anathema, the one's who were there, put on a great show. They were extremely appreciative of the crowd. Possibly one of the best "back up" bands I've seen. Onward to NYC.

« Last Edit: 20. May 2011 at 16:51 by quentin »  
View Profile   IP Logged
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Reply #27 - 20. May 2011 at 14:46

Quote from brian_sever34 on 20. May 2011 at 04:34:
I saw Anathema's 7 inch

oo-er.  Wink

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
tommc
PTF Junior

Reply #28 - 20. May 2011 at 14:56

Going tonite and wondering if Anathema will come on right at 7:30. What time did they start up in Philly?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Ms. Mouse
PTF God

Jaffa Mouse!

Reply #29 - 20. May 2011 at 15:30

Doors were  7 at Philly. Anathema hit the stage around 8. Blackfield came on a little after 9 last night.  

Man, Vincent and Danny were awesome. They put on a great show for only being the two of them. And I will second the Blackfield are heavier live thing. I found myself headbanging quite a few times. Picked up a hoodie. NYC next!

Behind my eyes is a rage unknown.
But you don't understand, it was all home grown.
View Profile WWW kneelanddisconnect glacial1602 internationalpopstar87   IP Logged
SpectreofDeath
PTF God

Reply #30 - 20. May 2011 at 15:37

Anathema started at 8:15 in DC and 8:00 last night in Philly. Played about 45 minutes both sets.

Quite honestly they were f**king brilliant !!!!!!! Can't emphasize this enough, if you are going to any of these shows, DO NOT miss Danny and Vinny's absolutely stunning opening set.  

Off the top of my head they played:

Thin Air
Deep
Fragile Dreams
Angels Walk Among Us
One Last Goodbye
Flying
Are You There (Philly)
Lost Control (DC)

f**king EPIC !!!

Blackfield were actually better than I expected they would be to be honest, in fact they even managed to sway me into feeling like I wasn't particularly fair in my skewering of DNA. I still think it's a relatively weak album and Aviv can't sing (nor can he write decent lyrics either), but live the songs have quite a bit of balls to them (well, some of them like, Blood, Oxygen and Go To Hell do anyway, Dissolving and the mellower sappier songs still suck tho') and I was impressed by that. I think they sounded more energetic and "on" in Philly over DC though.

SoD

PS: For the record, had the full Anathema band been in tow, I am pretty confident they would have blown Blackfield off the stage, hate to say...

View Profile   IP Logged
thefallofrome
PTF Newbie

Reply #31 - 20. May 2011 at 18:13

Why oh Why did Aviv have to take his shirt off? Aviv seems like he's very much into cliched suicidal themed pop rock. Mentioning his parents was very awkward too. I didn't know whether to cheer him on or look glum.  

In all fairness, Blackfield sounded tight with what they had to work with. The back-up band lacked stage presence though.
In my opinion Anathema would have been better than Blackfield had they brought the whole band. Really nice and appreciative guys.  

Def would hit Anathema again in the future.  

View Profile   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #32 - 20. May 2011 at 19:32

Quote from thefallofrome on 20. May 2011 at 18:13:
Why oh Why did Aviv have to take his shirt off? Aviv seems like he's very much into cliched suicidal themed pop rock.

He did take the mic wire and wrap it around his neck and make the motion of hanging himself a few times at the Philly show.

View Profile   IP Logged
PimPong
PTF God

Reply #33 - 20. May 2011 at 19:39

Why oh Why did Aviv have to take his shirt off? Aviv seems like he's very much into cliched suicidal themed pop rock. Mentioning his parents was very awkward too. I didn't know whether to cheer him on or look glum.

I felt the same way, and I think that I now sort of feel sorry for Aviv (although there is no excuse for some of those lyrics in my opinion). I think that he may need some help, and I mean that in a very sincere way.  

I thought that both bands were great. I went with a friend who had heard neither, and he enjoyed Blackfield better than Anathema. I just think that while Blackfield may have simple songs, their chord progressions are somewhat unusual, unpredictable and catchy in a strange way. I knew that Blood and Go to Hell would sound great live. Open Mind, Once and Zigota were my other favorites. Steven's live shows are gold. I also enjoyed the stage presence of the bassist and the drummer.  

Danny and Vince sure know how to put on a show. I thought that they were great and I would love to see the full band. I just sometimes feel that although their studio material is very solid and pleasant, I find myself not realizing that their record is done spinning. They are almost too soothing (not referring to their Serenades record and others from that period).  

If you are on the fence, I would recommend seeing one of these shows!

PS Aviv's jacket is killer though, I have to admit.

View Profile   IP Logged
SpectreofDeath
PTF God

Reply #34 - 20. May 2011 at 22:22

It's kind of interesting that in DC he mentioned (and I am paraphrasing here, don't know his exact words) that he wrote Go to Hell as a sort of dedication to his parents who left him alone a lot of the time, but then later for Far Away he dedicated this one to his father (whom he said he loves) who he had to go rescue in NYC from cocaine addiction. So which is it ? Do you love them or hate them ? A little long in the tooth to be writing teenage angst songs aren't we Aviv ?  

The shirt over his face and then off for the final two songs is just so f**king pretentious it's a bit laughable really. Yeah we all know you are a skinny little (emphasis on little I might add) dude Aviv, but c'mon you aren't exactly built like a power lifter my friend. I suppose some of the chicks (and perhaps even some of the guys lol) might dig the shirt off thing, but I find it pretty laughable really...

Anyway, good shows, solid back up band, most people are there to see SW, but Aviv does have his small following as well, and live they definitely sound a lot ballsier and even some of the DNA material was relatively listenable, only major complaint (besides Aviv's "messages", and his mediocre singing) were the lulls during songs like Glass House, 1,000 People, Far Away, Dissolving (except for the jamming part which was cool), these songs just killed momentum for me, but then again, they are the BF songs I would skip on CD as well so...

SoD

View Profile   IP Logged
PimPong
PTF God

Reply #35 - 20. May 2011 at 23:44

Quote from SpectreofDeath on 20. May 2011 at 22:22:
It's kind of interesting that in DC he mentioned (and I am paraphrasing here, don't know his exact words) that he wrote Go to Hell as a sort of dedication to his parents who left him alone a lot of the time, but then later for Far Away he dedicated this one to his father (whom he said he loves) who he had to go rescue in NYC from cocaine addiction. So which is it ? Do you love them or hate them ?

This is EXACTLY what I thought, and why I thought that he might need some help. I feel little for him - he hasn't had it easy exactly, but I would choose to express myself entirely differently.

View Profile   IP Logged
rscotth
PTF Junior
I've Donated!

Reply #36 - 21. May 2011 at 05:13

Just back from the Irving Plaza in NYC.  1st time seeing BF.  Very impressed with the live performance.  New material very fresh and powerful, live.  Great sound imho.  Seeing them at Park-West next week.

Nothing new in the set-list from what i recall.  Just an amazing show with the crowd being very appreciative and the venue was very relaxed and sound was superb.

Anathema was impressisive opener.

Shine On!...........Scott

View Profile   IP Logged
Phormula
PTF Full Member

Reply #37 - 21. May 2011 at 16:47

Just woke up after doing DC, Philly, and NYC. I got to chat with Danny and Vinny a lot the first two shows. They are really great guys, and I hope after this tour they can start building up a base here in the states because even two of them are f*cking brilliant live.  

I felt that Blackfield was a lot better this time around, but out of the first three shows, NYC was absolutely the best. The whole band was really tight, powerful, and somehow I ended up loving the slower songs that were predominantly Aviv, like Dissolving and Far Away. Anathema had a bigger fan base there, and you could really feel the energy building for them, which should influence a good turnout when they (hopefully) come back in October with the full band.

Email View Profile Tremulant1   IP Logged
fab2382
PTF Junior

Reply #38 - 21. May 2011 at 21:10

Blackfield was awesome, especially the encore, most notably End of the World and Cloudy Now. New stuff sounded great live, with the highlights for me being Blood (opener), Glass House and Oxygen. Great show!

Email View Profile   IP Logged
VentureRG
PTF Junior

Reply #39 - 22. May 2011 at 01:15

Blackfield put on a great show in Phila.  I don't take Aviv's antics seriously but consider them a part of his 'alienated artist' personality.  As far as Go to Hell is concerned, in his track by track description, he says that someone in his family pissed him off and he cursed him and that was it--no indication it was his father so...  

Always really enjoy SW's precise and concise playing with Blackfield.  His melodic leads though not the must difficult music he plays is certainly some of the most enjoyable IMO.  

Met Seffy and Tomer after the show--really nice guys who were glad to take a photo with me.  

I also appreciated Danny and Vincent's performance very much. Also met them afterwards--very nice guys. Looking forward to seeing the whole band.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print