Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
19. Aug 2017 at 06:20
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Poll
Question: Are you bothered about the demise of General Chat?

Yes, I knew what my friends were up to  
  8 (22.8%)
No, it was just a load of whining din  
  5 (14.2%)
Not sure (expand please)  
  6 (17.1%)
I never even read it, why am I here?  
  4 (11.4%)
Not voting, just show me the results  
  12 (34.2%)

Total votes: 35
« Created by: anortherncod on: 22. Feb 2011 at 07:32 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Are you bothered about the demise of General Chat? (Read 6011 times)
anortherncod
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Are you bothered about the demise of General Chat?
22. Feb 2011 at 07:32

What it says.  Are you?

Brilliant. Resilient. A million bright ambassadors of morning
Email View Profile anortherncod   IP Logged
Lisa_Cooper91
I'll get me cloak!

member since 2007!
my profile info is a
LIE!

Re: Are you bothered about the demise of General C
Reply #1 - 22. Feb 2011 at 09:03

Voted for "not sure".
Before the "whining" (and yup, I'm guilty as well Roll Eyes) it actually was a very cozy place and I really liked that it started to be a slow-chat Grin.
I can imagine though that others found it annoying or something...

2009: met Alice Cooper
2010: met Alice and Richard Barbieri
Now these are the best years, truly the best years of my life
Email View Profile WWW Lisa_Cooper91 dejonglisa   IP Logged
3cats
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 22. Feb 2011 at 10:17

It seems the poll-starter didnt vote?? undecided
Come in Fishie....

IP Logged
saturninebear
I'll get me cloak!

Grrr

Reply #3 - 22. Feb 2011 at 11:41

yes  cry cry cry cry cry cry cry  

undecided

cry

Big Tim and Steven fan. Friendly and approachable. So come say hello.
Email View Profile saturninebear saturninebear   IP Logged
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Reply #4 - 22. Feb 2011 at 13:49

I'm on the not-sure camp.  Tho I don't contribute as much and lately I don't even check in as much, I do have other ways of keeping in touch with you guys as much as possible.

THAT is what I am most 'bothered' about - that I don't keep up with you guys as much as possible.  Sure, gathering in fake bars and making fake foods is fun for a bit, but I'd much rather hear about real life stuff - and planning my next visit over and hanging with you guys again.  Wink  kiss

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
anortherncod
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #5 - 22. Feb 2011 at 20:12

Quote from 3cats on 22. Feb 2011 at 10:17:
It seems the poll-starter didnt vote?? undecided
Come in Fishie....

I just have  Wink  It would have been obvious if I'd voted at the start, and btw, don't I know you...?   Wink

I'm not sure, either.  My life was profoundly affected by things that have happened on these pages, but that was my choice to an extent.  Things are very, very different now.  But it seems to me that we either have a lot of 'whining din' in amongst the genuinely interesting stuff, or... nothing.  Is there no happy medium?  

The good side was that here used to be 'where everybody knows your name'.  Have those days gone?  Do we want them gone?

the fly moves sideways...
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #6 - 22. Feb 2011 at 20:32

In what way has there been a demise of the general chat? It still exists...

I know what you're getting at though...  There was a time when there were loads of great things posted, jokes, silliness, games, conversations with many of us here, but I think things have just moved on a bit now.  As was said between some people before, maybe the "old" PT generation has moved on and the new one is moving in.

Remember also, there was a time here when certain people beleived that the "older" more established PTFers were an elite crowd and some thought they were not part of it.  The "elite" ones were seen by some as special, snobby, admired, disliked or whatever else but the people who were classed in this group all know for a fact that there was no elitism at all as it's a public forum.

With the advent of the Facebook group, and also people being in more personal contact as well, there is no longer a need as such for communications to be made in the forum.  People have exchanged phone numbers, email addresses, home addresses, greetings cards, gifts, insults, jokes, body fluids, whatever...  they meet whenever possible, wherever possible.

With the lack of activity in the actual Porcupine Tree world as well, the number of people visiting PTF for the latest updates of "Oh track 4 is apparently going to be 3 minutes and 32 seconds long...can't wait - that's my favourite track length" is lessening as well.

Maybe it will pick up again.  Maybe not.  It's been a while since I saw anything on here that I felt like adding to, so thanks for starting this one and giving me a reason to make my first posting on PTF in MONTHS!!!

Wink Wink Wink

And K - did you get my FB message a few days ago?

Dont ya just love British Telecom - Possibly the worst customer service I have ever encountered! 2 weeks to fix it - but it's on now...

HI EVERYBODY!!!
Email View Profile http://www.bebo.com/PaulT914   IP Logged
Scots Pine
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

The sly moves
sideways...

Reply #7 - 23. Feb 2011 at 00:19

To chuck in my tuppenceworth. PT and therefore the PTF has expanded a lot in the last year or so, so it's not quite as 'family' as it was. Personally, I now prefer FB, I can communicate with people who matter to me there, and know that every tom, dick(head) and harry wont have access.

In this period of rest for PT its inevitable that the forum will be quieter, and i'm afraid i'm just not interested in what the weather is like when someone I don't know and will probably never meet, is eating their favourite crisps.

To be sure I check in here every day or so for news but at the moment that's all.

The new Apple gadget for women - The iRon...
View Profile Scots Pine scots_pine   IP Logged
Black Dahlia
I've Donated!

Hmm..i'll get back
to you on that name.

Reply #8 - 23. Feb 2011 at 08:50

Hard for me to say, as i'm not a prolific contributor and when i visit, i tend to just check for the latest PT/Steve Wilson news. But even that is becoming less a perrogative, as i visit twitter, where as a follower of all things PT and Steve Wilson; i get the latest news....multiple times! Grin

As PT are on a break, activity will, inevitably, slow down on the forum, as a whole. Things will pick up again, when Steven releases his solo album.  

Also, as others have mentioned, there is facebook, where established friends can chat; and of course, people swap addresses and phone numbers.

I do wish i'd joined in more, as i tend to feel like the odd one out at gigs.

For regular contributors to Gt, it must be sad to see it's demise. As a mod' for a very large forum, with a GT board, i see how life can bring about changes on them. For eg, students get swamped with college/uni' work and therefore, have less time to spend on social sites; people starting families, starting work, taking up work with longer hours, etc, etc, all means less time online chit-chatting. Older members drift away; sometimes as a result of being annoyed by younger ones or just simply because they've becomed bored. Another thing to keep in mind is, that some fans, may have lost interest in the band. I once ran a fan site, in praise of actor Vincent D'onofrio. I now, have no interest in him whatsoever. Grin

But, yeah, i feel for those of you who may be experiencing a sense of loss. Hopefully, this thread will bring activity (and quality activity) back to GT.

Wilsonette extraordinaire
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
pulse25
yhW?

Reply #9 - 23. Feb 2011 at 13:45

I been checking in here every now and then since 2005 some 2100 days now, and I havent noticed anything,.. but tht might just be cuz I only pretty much visit occasionally playin' wordgames and checking some news/finding new music and that kinda stuff.

Internet is lotsa fun but real life is the sh*t after all  Cool
If u like to hang out in communities on the net or anything like that, u have to remember people come and go and change and all, thts life and part of its wavy nature. One just has to adapt to that, aswell as in real life too.  Just my two cents 'bout the subject.

You gotta see the waves
View Profile atomicfractalgoddess   IP Logged
Hawklord
PTF God
I've Donated!

Space is the place
for the human race

Reply #10 - 23. Feb 2011 at 20:02

Pretty much It's already been said so to add my .02 cents worth The band is on  Hiatus so all the activity between last Year & 2009 when you had the  1st incident Tour the special RAH, RCMH gigs , some of their festival shows , SW 1st album. Now that all that is done and gone The board activity level fell off.  

The only thing now for me is the Upcoming Blackfield NYC show and SW 2nd album that makes me come to the board and see what is happening.

The only thing I post in now is what is the 1st song I hear in the morning as I will always listen to music and I  have my radio on going to work or pop in a Cd on the drive  to work.

Now when there is  talk about some early work on the Next PT album and or Tour dates then this board will be gangbusters again. Grin Cool

Born to Raise hell. and enjoy every minute of it

Hawklord

View Profile   IP Logged
eatingalison
PTF God
I've Donated!

Reply #11 - 02. Mar 2011 at 22:14

I tend to use FB a lot more now and certainly for the day to day chatty type of stuff. I still like to drop into PTF a few times a week as it is by far the best way to keep up with PT news, however as stated several times above there is not a great deal of PT activity this year so this may be why the forum is a bit quieter. I still like it here tho'.

I planned to change the world but I couldn't find a babysitter...
Email View Profile eatingalison   IP Logged
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #12 - 14. Mar 2011 at 01:30

More or less what everyone here said, specially the post above by Alison. I guess that personal things are already being said in FB and it's not THAT much happening in the PT band camp.  

Probably when the Blackfield tour starts we will come here for news on set lists and also for making plans about meeting (tho probably this last thing will move more to FB as well...). I keep coming around, but I just don't have a lot to say that I don't share in FB already with the ones that I think might be interested (that lately are not posting that much here anyway...)

It's probably a circle that can't be broken... or it can... we will see soon when tours start Wink I still like it here, like Ali said Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
winterhillxx
PTF God
I've Donated!

What I am to you is
not real

Reply #13 - 27. Mar 2011 at 21:01

I've never really understood why anyone would want to post personal stuff on an open forum. I know there are many good friendships between fellow PTF'ers but with FB, text message, email and even PM, why the need to publicise your life to strangers?  

I rarely post beyond "songname shared word game" and "what are you listening to". I've discovered some great music from the latter.

So, no I'm not bothered if there is a demise to GC but I also don't mind if it flourishes. I'm free to choose what threads I read and I'll stick to those that are music related.

I know how to be lost in lust
not because you should, but because you must
it burns white hot, and so clouds the mind
this lightning strike is in no ways kind
View Profile   IP Logged
Ms. Mouse
PTF God

Jaffa Mouse!

Reply #14 - 05. Apr 2011 at 06:04

I think the only bother is the lack of gathering at that specific location if you will - bit of a sentimental thing to me. I interact with a lot of you guys more on Facebook than I ever did here 'cause it's easier I reckon.

Behind my eyes is a rage unknown.
But you don't understand, it was all home grown.
View Profile WWW kneelanddisconnect glacial1602 internationalpopstar87   IP Logged
rusinurbe
PTF Junior

Reply #15 - 20. Apr 2011 at 10:40

Who is General Chat ?

Any relation of Colonel Gadaffi ?

View Profile   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #16 - 18. May 2011 at 04:46

I don't know, used to be a fun check in  Huh

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
anortherncod
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #17 - 18. May 2011 at 22:41

Quote from brian_sever34 on 18. May 2011 at 04:46:
I don't know, used to be a fun check in Huh

Yeah, it did.  Then things turned sour (at least for me).  Recently people have been sharing information about me on the Net (niiice) so you won't catch me posting anything about myself here for a long time, if ever again.  As has been mentioned in previous posts, on FB you can choose your friends (and I've decided to choose mine carefully).  Here we don't have that luxury...

brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #18 - 19. May 2011 at 07:00

Quote from anortherncod on 18. May 2011 at 22:41:
Yeah, it did. Then things turned sour (at least for me). Recently people have been sharing information about me on the Net (niiice) so you won't catch me posting anything about myself here for a long time, if ever again.

I'm sorry to hear that undecided

Although facebook is the net, you have a choice to block somebody annoying and that's great.  
I was always conscientious of postings that could identify me with coworkers or whoever I may interact professionally in the future because "open forums" are open as the name implies, to everybody in the world.  

Because of my kind of work, I want to be careful about what I post and although I 've been pretty open with my forum friends, as you said, you never know and I'm sorry you got burned. Some people knows me personally and I hope to continue seeing them in shows or gatherings.  

Miss Cod and others: I'll miss your witty posts and miss some of the former regulars. I hope you continue to check in and post in other sections. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
anortherncod
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #19 - 19. May 2011 at 09:57

Quote from brian_sever34 on 19. May 2011 at 07:00:
Miss Cod and others: I'll miss your witty posts and miss some of the former regulars. I hope you continue to check in and post in other sections. Smiley

I still come and have a look here pretty often - thanks for your kind words Brian  Smiley

brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #20 - 20. May 2011 at 04:51

Quote from anortherncod on 19. May 2011 at 09:57:
Quote from brian_sever34 on 19. May 2011 at 07:00:

I still come and have a look here pretty often - thanks for your kind words Brian Smiley

You're welcomed, and big Smiley.  

And one more thing I wanted to add:  
as the members changed, the tone and content changed and I kind of miss the people with whom I shared same tastes in music like Japan/Sylvian/No Man, as it seems that as the crowd is turning younger ( and I hate to say this, but...) some people don't mind listening to Porcupine Tree next to Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga, and I'm not judging anybody but this is the way things devolve as the fan base expands and new people join in. undecided

But vive la difference and being eclectic !!

View Profile   IP Logged
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #21 - 23. May 2011 at 00:47

Quote from brian_sever34 on 20. May 2011 at 04:51:
miss the people with whom I shared same tastes in music like Japan/Sylvian/No Man

Awwww  kiss kiss kiss

Porcupine Tree next to Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

View Profile   IP Logged
Lisa_Cooper91
I'll get me cloak!

member since 2007!
my profile info is a
LIE!

Reply #22 - 25. May 2011 at 19:58

some people don't mind listening to Porcupine Tree next to Lady Gaga

And I don't mind listening to Lady GaGa next to Porcupine Tree.
Don't mind at all! Grin

2009: met Alice Cooper
2010: met Alice and Richard Barbieri
Now these are the best years, truly the best years of my life
Email View Profile WWW Lisa_Cooper91 dejonglisa   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #23 - 28. May 2011 at 15:00

Quote from Lisa_Cooper91 on 25. May 2011 at 19:58:
some people don't mind listening to Porcupine Tree next to Lady Gaga

And I don't mind listening to Lady GaGa next to Porcupine Tree.
Don't mind at all! Grin

Then you may find this also interesting:   (article + video)

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&new sitemID=158614

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #24 - 01. Jun 2011 at 03:58

Can someone PLEEEEAAAASE explain what is meant by this poll question? What demise?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print