Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
23. Aug 2017 at 01:44
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How can you know that much music? (Read 1357 times)
Heartattack
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Newbie

How can you know that much music?
30. Jan 2011 at 15:53

I was looking at different threads on this forum and I remarked that a lot of you guys know a lot of music! For example, there are polls like ''what's your favorite Marilion album'' or King Crimson, Radiohead or anything else. These bands have made many albums and a lot of you seem to know them all! And for the major part of these bands I'd like to know all their albums too, but I don't! I sometimes check out a few things on youtube, but normally, I want to buys CDs. Of course, I never download, it doesn't help me...

The thing is that I just can't buy everything! Maybe that's a question of money, time (even though I think that I listen to a lot of music) or maybe experience (I'm only 23). I suppose that it's just normal that a 50 year-old prog fan, throughout the years, get to know with time every Pink Floyd or Genesis albums. That type of person must have a lot of CDs!

What about you? Do you suffer from not being able to listen to everything you'd like to?

View Profile   IP Logged
blindhouse
PTF Junior

Perfectly uncalled
for.

Re: How can you know that much music?
Reply #1 - 30. Jan 2011 at 16:20

May you should reconsider the effectiveness of downloading? I am also a person who loves to buy music and support the album sales and just simply own the music. It just means more to me that way. However, I also think there is a smart way to shop and put your money to good use. Either research your purchases on a source like youtube or last.fm or download the album and see if it is worth the investment. I know some people are strictly against downloading, and I get it, but I like to use it as a means to find out if I'm going to play the CD more than once. If you count the number of purchases in your collection that you might have never bought knowing what was actually on it, you might think of all the albums you would rather have in their place.

But if that isn't for you, it will just take time! Keep in mind that members here are a wide range of ages, so some have had years of collecting time more than you as well as having been buying their albums since the day these bands got started.

And to answer the last question, yes.  I think that we all do but that is what makes each purchase that much more rewarding!

View Profile   IP Logged
pulse25
yhW?

Reply #2 - 31. Jan 2011 at 21:23

lol its easy to know lotsa music. Just listen to it  Smiley

You gotta see the waves
View Profile atomicfractalgoddess   IP Logged
the fly moves sideways...
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #3 - 02. Feb 2011 at 09:00

I know a lot of music because I have listened to a lot for many, many years.  It never ends though as there is always something that I have never heard of and someone will say "you have NEVER heard of them?...".  Depending on who the friend is, and their tastes in music, it will normally prompt me to chekc them out.  Found some great things, found some bad things.

I read a lot of music biographies as well as the usual monthly magazines (Mojo, Record Collector, Classic Rock/Prog)

The great thing about music is there will ALWAYS be more waiting for you to discover it.  Given the fact that at one point, I had literally THOUSANDS of albums here in my collection, I was still finding more that I wanted to own, hear and enjoy.

It never stops...

Wink Wink Wink

Dont ya just love British Telecom - Possibly the worst customer service I have ever encountered! 2 weeks to fix it - but it's on now...

HI EVERYBODY!!!
Email View Profile http://www.bebo.com/PaulT914   IP Logged
pulse25
yhW?

Reply #4 - 02. Feb 2011 at 23:22

Quote from the fly moves sideways... on 02. Feb 2011 at 09:00:

It never stops...

Wink Wink Wink

yea well,. that seems to be true  Cheesy  Grin

You gotta see the waves
View Profile atomicfractalgoddess   IP Logged
drawing_the_line
PTF God

Bursting into little
streams of light

Reply #5 - 18. Apr 2011 at 22:22

Quote from pulse25 on 02. Feb 2011 at 23:22:
Quote from the fly moves sideways... on 02. Feb 2011 at 09:00:

It never stops...

Wink Wink Wink

yea well,. that seems to be true Cheesy Grin

Seconded.  

Times I've seen Porcupine Tree Live

Oct 10 2005 USA, Cincinnati: Bogart's
May 01 2010 CINCINNATI, USA: Bogart's
View Profile ripplesonthewaves MadeAgain1982 http://www.myspace.com/progrocker22   IP Logged
Mrguy
PTF Senior

[Something clever or
witty]

Reply #6 - 29. Jul 2011 at 11:45

The pattern for me, once I entered the downward spiral into music fan-dom (the point where i actually cared about music enough to buy it) seems to be that I only really listen to new music. I find new music I like, listen to that for a period of time. If i really like some of that music, I go on a bit of a bender discover more about that artist, and they become part of my proper collection. There are very few albums that I regularly listen to (by regularly, i mean once every month or two). Although I can always dip back anywhere in my music collection, and love what I'm listening to.

To answer your question, I never rest on my laurels... I always need new music. I do download, but I love owning physical CD's. I'm 16, by the way, and in the last 2 or so years, my CD collection has grown to be a couple of hundred (I have a job, i'm not a little rich kid).

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #7 - 29. Jul 2011 at 18:12

I have no fear of ever running out of new music to acquire. For me though it is not just a matter of money but of time - listening time. there are CDs in my collection that I have not listened to for a long time, though I enjoy them when I do  - simply because I have so many others. And my collection is tiny compared with that of some members here.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print