Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
23. Aug 2017 at 03:30
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
internet browser quits on certain sites, help... (Read 893 times)
SufferingFromNostalgia
Topic Starter Topic Starter
yhW?
I've Donated!

I Still Wave At The
Dots On The Shore

internet browser quits on certain sites, help...
03. Jan 2011 at 18:02

i use Mozilla Firefox and have even tried Internet Explorer but with certain sites like checking my email on Verizon.net and Youtube the page will load and then after a couple seconds will quit working/drop out with a message that Firefox or my Internet Explorer has to close. then i get an error report. anyone know if this is a Java issue or something in my 'internet options' settings? my computer has just been completely revamped but was also doing this prior to taking for hard drive cleaning. anyone with info on how to rectify this problem would be greatly appreciated Huh

also i just started using AVG antivirus. could it be a setting with this as well?

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Simon
Global Moderator

Re: internet browser quits on certain sites, help.
Reply #1 - 03. Jan 2011 at 18:06

What OS are you using? Is your AV up to date (if using Windows)?

Carbon Nation - The Independent Porcupine Tree magazine. CN10 out now! www.carbon-nation.co.uk
View Profile WWW carbon_nation   IP Logged
mixtaped
yhW?

Reply #2 - 08. Jan 2011 at 00:07

Resolved this problem? My guess is that a plugin such as Flash or Java is causing the crash anytime you visit a website that is using one of these (e.g. YouTube - Flash). Maybe it helps if you just re-install Adobe Flash Player or upgrade to a newer version?

First I thought your Firefox profile might be broken, but after reading that IE crashes as well, this must be a browser-independent problem.
Anyway, make also sure you're using the latest version of both, Firefox and IE (Internet Explorer version greater than 6 recommended), and maybe do a system check with your antivirus software. The error report probably doesn't help that much as it is most likely the standard dialogue you get to see on any unexpected program terminations in Windows (asking you to send the report).

View Profile   IP Logged
SufferingFromNostalgia
Topic Starter Topic Starter
yhW?
I've Donated!

I Still Wave At The
Dots On The Shore

Reply #3 - 08. Jan 2011 at 00:41

it turns out that it was my antivirus (AVG) that was causing so much difficulty. i did update Java as well as Flashplayer thinking they may be the problems too. thanks for the suggestions.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
mixtaped
yhW?

Reply #4 - 08. Jan 2011 at 12:51

Great. Glad you got it working.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print