Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
18. Aug 2017 at 08:02
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Laptop no longer can connect to wireless network! (Read 913 times)
MorbidStalker
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Laptop no longer can connect to wireless network!
10. Dec 2010 at 19:39

Once upon a time (yesterday morning), my Internet was extremely slow so I contacted my ISP. Alright, here's my home network configuration:

1) Main desktop computer: Windows 7, directly connected to DSL modem (Gnet) and wireless router (Cisco)

2) Laptop #2: Windows XP, connected wirelessly to router

3) Laptop #3 (netbook): same as #2

Here's the story. The tech guy of my ISP had me reset my router, go in the configuration page 192.168.1.1 and change the "size" of something called MTU (??) from 1492 to 1452. This solved everything and all webpages were loading just fine.

When I tried laptop #2, later on that day, I of course had to reconnect it to the newly recreated wireless network, which I tried to do, to no avail. Back then, I was getting a message about some sort of missing certificate. Got frustrated, went to bed.

This morning, I tried to start from scratch again and reset my router once more. This time, I tried to connect laptop #2 through that Network Magic program from Cisco, but it's still not working. (This time I'm not even getting that certificate message at all.)

In the meantime, I tried to have laptop #3 to connect wirelessly... and it worked! At my first attempt.

Now, I don't believe in such coincidences and I *KNOW* for a fact that laptop #2's wireless card still works. It was connecting just fine to the network the day before yesterday.

HELP!!!  cry

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS: I should of course mention that laptop #2 detects all the wireless networks in my building, including my own, the one I want to connect to!)

Email View Profile WWW MorbidStalker silent_nightdrifter   IP Logged
anortherncod
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Re: Laptop no longer can connect to wireless netwo
Reply #1 - 10. Dec 2010 at 19:51

I had a similar problem with mine and my dad (who's a real spod and has worked in computing for about 30 years) suggested I buy a USB which is designed for desktops WITHOUT wireless connectivity, so that it can 'boost' the signal.  They come with a mini CD which allows you to install the software, and was just £10 over here - maybe that's an option (tho not an immediate one I grant you)?   Smiley

Brilliant. Resilient. A million bright ambassadors of morning
Email View Profile anortherncod   IP Logged
MorbidStalker
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #2 - 10. Dec 2010 at 20:00

Quote from anortherncod on 10. Dec 2010 at 19:51:
I had a similar problem with mine and my dad (who's a real spod and has worked in computing for about 30 years) suggested I buy a USB which is designed for desktops WITHOUT wireless connectivity, so that it can 'boost' the signal.  They come with a mini CD which allows you to install the software, and was just £10 over here - maybe that's an option (tho not an immediate one I grant you)?   Smiley

The thing is, I really don't think it has no wireless connectivity, since it was working perfectly fine before I reset my router and it detects all the wireless networks. I know it must be a configuration problem, but I just don't know what to do...

Thanks for your suggestion, though!  Smiley

MorbidStalker
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #3 - 15. Dec 2010 at 13:30

Alright. My laptop's problem still isn't fixed. But here's an update:

It can still detect my wireless network, but the news is that it now actually connects to it. The things is, the connection drops after five seconds. Then it connects again after another five seconds, looses it, and the cycle never stops. It's constantly on and off.

Any ideas, guys?

Thanks again in advance...  undecided

ivolinssen
PTF Junior

Reply #4 - 17. Dec 2010 at 13:23

Hi,

Looks like a problem I had some time ago.
Some googling told me that it was a virus preventing my PC to connect to the network.
I ran a virus-test, a virus was found and deleted. The internet connection worked flawlessly after that.

So I suggest running a decent antivirus programme, maybe it will solve your problem?
Greetings,
Ivo

It's been so long // Years have gone
Since I belonged // Hold me please
Stay with me // And I will sleep

I will go now // But I will be with you
Hold my gaze // Hold me inside you
Email View Profile   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #5 - 17. Dec 2010 at 15:25

Quote from ivolinssen on 17. Dec 2010 at 13:23:
Hi,

Looks like a problem I had some time ago.

The problem with these things is that they look like a problem pretty much everyone has had some time ago  Grin

Wireless networks can be a real pain in the *** , and are notorious for acting up without any apparent cause.

It could be a myriad of things , my contributions to a possible solution would be to update the router's firmware, and/or try and set the router to a fixed channel, when I had a problem like this once, this "fixed" it. Since the problems started after a reset , it could also indicate that some essential data got erased: a password, username or other setting required for your provider or network etc etc.

« Last Edit: 18. Dec 2010 at 01:39 by TAKO »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print