Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
23. Aug 2017 at 03:30
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MS Kinect (Read 2304 times)
Skeptic
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Full Member

MS Kinect
06. Nov 2010 at 23:17

Scoff all you want, this thing is f'ing cool. I had my doubts, but got it anyway because of a lot of good reviews. Still at the nascent stage of this technology, but as good as it is now I can only image what will happen in the coming years. It won't appeal to hardcore gamers yet, but who knows how it will shape up. One down-side is the amount of space needed to utilize its full potential. Not sure they could have done much about that I guess.

Email View Profile skeptycalone skeptycalone   IP Logged
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Re: MS Kinect
Reply #1 - 07. Nov 2010 at 18:39

Boo! If I want to spend my leisure time jumping around and flailing my arms I'll go outside. When I play video games, I want to sit perfectly still moving only my fingers.

But then again I guess I am a "hardcore" gamer, so there you have it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #2 - 07. Nov 2010 at 20:52

Quote from Brainwashed on 07. Nov 2010 at 18:39:
Boo! If I want to spend my leisure time jumping around and flailing my arms I'll go outside. When I play video games, I want to sit perfectly still moving only my fingers.

But then again I guess I am a "hardcore" gamer, so there you have it.

Yeah well, that's what I thought about the Wii as well and honestly I'll probably (for now) only use it when people are over and we are all imbibing. You've got to admit the technology is cool.  The 'Minority Report' UI and voice controls work really well too, but honestly I'm not sure yet how much of a gimmick factor it is as the controller is still faster.  If you're too lazy to get off the couch and the controller is across the room it could come in handy I guess.

MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #3 - 07. Nov 2010 at 21:33

If there wasn't serious lag time, I might be interested... We'll see what kind of experiences they can create using this technology... I remain a skeptic at this point though.

View Profile signify2metanoia   IP Logged
Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #4 - 07. Nov 2010 at 21:55

Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 07. Nov 2010 at 21:33:
If there wasn't serious lag time, I might be interested... We'll see what kind of experiences they can create using this technology... I remain a skeptic at this point though.

What makes you think there's a serious lag time.  After playing table tennis, boxing and volleyball, I haven't noticed it.  If you were to try and play a FPS it may become apparent though.

MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #5 - 08. Nov 2010 at 02:48

Quote from Skeptic on 07. Nov 2010 at 21:55:
Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 07. Nov 2010 at 21:33:

What makes you think there's a serious lag time. After playing table tennis, boxing and volleyball, I haven't noticed it. If you were to try and play a FPS it may become apparent though.

Watching videos, reading impressions, etc. It looks laggy as hell. Not to mention there isn't any software that's even remotely appealing to me.

View Profile signify2metanoia   IP Logged
Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #6 - 08. Nov 2010 at 04:02

Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 08. Nov 2010 at 02:48:
Watching videos, reading impressions, etc. It looks laggy as hell. Not to mention there isn't any software that's even remotely appealing to me.

Well I can tell you first-hand the lag isn't bad.  The only lag I've noticed is with the break-out game which is probably the video you've seen and it was one of the earliest developed games for the device and many of the videos were taken before final release which might be a reason.  I'll grant you the last part though.  Hopefully We'll see some really cool stuff in the the coming year.

arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #7 - 09. Nov 2010 at 13:18

a couple of reviews i've seen mention the lag... and how rubbish the games are. and you need 8ft to play (9 if there's two of you)? and it won't work if there's clutter on your floor. or you are wearing the same colour as your wall. who wants to tidy the house before you play a video game? to me this is just an expensive con. why would anyone want to turn their x-box 360 into a wii? i just don't get it at all.

i'll stick to spending hours and hours exploring new vegas knowing that when i'm done the new call of duty will be waiting for me!

Some say a comet will fall from the sky,
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves,
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still,
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh*ts...
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #8 - 10. Nov 2010 at 00:38

Quote from arctangent on 09. Nov 2010 at 13:18:
or you are wearing the same colour as your wall.

It uses an infrared camera to detect your body movements so the color of your shirt will have no effect.  That should give you some indication on the quality of reviews you're reading.

arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #9 - 10. Nov 2010 at 08:55

Quote from Skeptic on 10. Nov 2010 at 00:38:
Quote from arctangent on 09. Nov 2010 at 13:18:
or you are wearing the same colour as your wall.

It uses an infrared camera to detect your body movements so the color of your shirt will have no effect. That should give you some indication on the quality of reviews you're reading.

that didn't come from any review. that, reportedly, came from microsoft's own video guide to the do's and don'ts of using kinect! and if the kinect uses infra-red technology why would clutter on the floor make any difference?

Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #10 - 10. Nov 2010 at 13:00

Quote from arctangent on 10. Nov 2010 at 08:55:
that didn't come from any review. that, reportedly, came from microsoft's own video guide to the do's and don'ts of using kinect! and if the kinect uses infra-red technology why would clutter on the floor make any difference?

It does use an IR sensor and I have no idea if clothes on the floor make a difference. Just a point of reference out of 230 reviews on Amazon 88% give it 4 or 5 stars. Its issues must not be that bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/product-reviews/B002BSA2 98/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #11 - 10. Nov 2010 at 13:14

Quote from Skeptic on 10. Nov 2010 at 13:00:
and I have no idea if clothes on the floor make a difference.

microsoft's own advice was that kinect won't work if there is 'stuff' on the floor (not necessarily just clothes).

arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #12 - 10. Nov 2010 at 13:48

just re-read the review from the source that i always read and apparently the kinect has both infra-red and rgb cameras! http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/846376-review-kinect-hardware-play-test

Mathias_D
PTF Senior

Reply #13 - 14. Dec 2010 at 14:53

I ordered a pair of them (one for each of my step-sons) on-line at the begining of November. They havn't arrived yet.  undecided

To err is human. To arr is pirate.
Mathias_D
PTF Senior

Reply #14 - 20. Dec 2010 at 11:29

They have now.  Smiley

To err is human. To arr is pirate.
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!