Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
29. Jun 2017 at 13:33
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
e-Readers (Read 2033 times)
Skeptic
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Full Member

e-Readers
29. Sep 2010 at 12:19

I bought a Kindle and few weeks ago and I love it. Anybody have one and what do you think? I thought not having a physical book would end up being somewhat awkward, but it seems liberating in a way.

Email View Profile skeptycalone skeptycalone   IP Logged
clouds41
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Re: e-Readers
Reply #1 - 29. Sep 2010 at 16:44

I have been thinking of getting something like this but I notice a lot of books I want are not available in this way? I need to know more.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
futile
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Anesthetized

Reply #2 - 29. Sep 2010 at 18:35

I love my Kindle. I noticed I'm reading more since I bought it.

Resistance is my middle name
Email View Profile ninoops   IP Logged
JPenguin
PTF Junior

Reply #3 - 29. Sep 2010 at 19:30

I've got an original Kobo, it's a very basic eReader (no 3g, WiFi, etc) which I'm quite pleased with. I don't really read any more or less than I did before. I do like the eReader more since it's more convenient, don't need to carry multiple books around and I can also use my smartphone for reading when I don't have my eReader with me. I still buy physical books though, if there's a series of books I already have part of in physical form then I'll continue with buying physical editions to complete the set.

I also really like my eReader for the public-domain classics that I read, some of them in physical form are well over 1000 pages so the eReader is much more convenient. And of course they're free so for ones I don't already have they now cost $0 instead of $5 - $15. Otherwise there aren't really significant cost savings by buying eBooks compared to their physical versions, they are usually cheaper although all things being equal I would rather spend the extra couple $ to have a physical item (but things aren't equal as mentioned above Wink).

View Profile   IP Logged
Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #4 - 29. Sep 2010 at 23:18

Quote from clouds41 on 29. Sep 2010 at 16:44:
I have been thinking of getting something like this but I notice a lot of books I want are not available in this way? I need to know more.

Well that could be offset by downloading the complete works of Shakespeare, Dickens and Twain for a grand total of $6 which I did.  A lot of old works are free.  Usually you might have to pay a dollar or two for what I assume is the work going in to compiling and indexing it.  To me the Kindle it was worth the $140.

billinjc
PTF Junior

Reply #5 - 15. Oct 2010 at 02:56

I've got a Sony Reader Touch and I love it. I never really thought it would replace paper books for me, but I haven't read a paper book in months.

View Profile   IP Logged
billinjc
PTF Junior

Reply #6 - 15. Oct 2010 at 03:22

Some great sources for public domain and creative commons books:

Project Gutenberg:
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Baen Free Library:
http://www.baen.com/library/
Action/ adventure science fiction and fantasy. Great ebook store, too.

Mobileread:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/
Go to the ebook upload section(about halfway down the message board index). Has about 17,000 titles, all under PD or Creative Commons License.

Inkmesh:
http://inkmesh.com/
Ebook search engine

View Profile   IP Logged
colinjd
yhW?
I've Donated!

Reply #7 - 02. Nov 2010 at 10:28

I'm in a quandry regarding e-readers in general and welcome peoples thoughts.

There appears to be a contradiction for those of us that frequent this mighty fine establishment. Most of us here are pro physical CD rather than download when it comes to music, so why are so many people in favour of a downloaded book rather than the real thing?

I love the look, the feel, the smell of books both old and new. In fact, I've received strange looks in book stores having been caught smelling the latest offering by Nigella but that's another story lips sealed

Anyway, why an e-reader? All the arguments in favour, ease of use & portability etc apply to music files so why is one good and the other not?  

I do want a Kindle but something is stopping me.  

Enlighten me, please.

View Profile   IP Logged
futile
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Anesthetized

Reply #8 - 02. Nov 2010 at 14:16

The good thing about buying CDs is that you can rip them into the format and quality of your choice. If portable devices used a proprietary format impossible to rip from CD, meaning that I would have to buy both the CD and the digital portable format, I would only buy the download.

The problem with books is that you cannot rip them, so it has to be one or the other. In my case, the e-book. I find these devices pretty useful. They are comfortable, not too big, very light, easy to carry with you and hold hundreds of books. Also, reading from a digital ink screen is exactly the same as reading from a book, not as tiresome as a laptop or an ipad.  

In my last trip to the UK I finished one book and started a new one, both of them very big volumes in the printed format. And if suddenly you feel like reading a new book, you can buy it on the spot from the same device and it'll be in your e-book reader in just a minute. Even if you are in the middle of nowhere (I've done it), as long as it is a Kindle or similar with 3G.

JPenguin
PTF Junior

Reply #9 - 02. Nov 2010 at 23:14

I guess there are similarities between ebooks and MP3s in that they both provide more flexibility but they also suffer from quality issues. I've found that there can be quite a few typesetting issues with ebooks (yes, bought ones).

I am very much in the camp of physical CDs and also very much in favour of ebooks. I do most of my listening on a traditional CD player and HiFi rather than on the go with an MP3 player or a docked MP3 player. I do also rip/download a version that I put on my MP3 player for on the go too. When it comes to music I don't want to compromise on sound quality while with ebooks I don't mind compromising on typesetting to some degree since I like the convenience of a small, portable device with lots of books on it. I just wish ebooks were still a bit cheaper than physical books, there are also compromises from DRM which I think should be compensated with by lower prices.

View Profile   IP Logged
Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #10 - 04. Nov 2010 at 02:11

Quote from colinjd on 02. Nov 2010 at 10:28:
Enlighten me, please.

Another very useful feature I'm finding, other than the obvious, is the ability to instantly search the definition of a word right in the same reading space. If you want to look further into the definition it will go straight to the complete dictionary page. Mine uses the Oxford American Dictionary. Also the ability to easy highlight passages and bookmark pages and extract those as a text file is great. You can also easily go back and forth between end notes and references from the text.

Your nostalgia for books seem to be similar to why people listen to vinyl instead of CDs. Technically, digital music is superior to vinyl in just about any meaningful way, but if you like that sound and the feel then more power to you.

futile
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Anesthetized

Reply #11 - 04. Nov 2010 at 07:21

Quote from Skeptic on 04. Nov 2010 at 02:11:
Another very useful feature I'm finding, other than the obvious, is the ability to instantly search the definition of a word right in the same reading space. If you want to look further into the definition it will go straight to the complete dictionary page.

Oh yes! I'm using this feature quite a lot...

colinjd
yhW?
I've Donated!

Reply #12 - 04. Nov 2010 at 12:31

Quote from Skeptic on 04. Nov 2010 at 02:11:
Quote from colinjd on 02. Nov 2010 at 10:28:
Enlighten me, please.

Mine uses the Oxford American Dictionary.

Heresy!!! Burn him, burn him!!!

Does the dictionary feature come pre-loaded or does it cost extra? I assume the Oxford English Dictionary is available?

Despite these further questions, it's quite likely I'll be including a Kindle on my Christmas list. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
colinjd
yhW?
I've Donated!

Reply #13 - 04. Nov 2010 at 13:59

Quote:
does that mean you need a 3G data subscrption on top of your hardware purchase?

I don't know about other locations but in the UK the 3G facility comes free of charge from Amazon. I'd guess it's the same elsewhere.

View Profile   IP Logged
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #14 - 04. Nov 2010 at 15:06

I still prefer real books  Tongue

View Profile   IP Logged
futile
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Anesthetized

Reply #15 - 04. Nov 2010 at 19:20

Quote from colinjd on 04. Nov 2010 at 13:59:
Quote:
does that mean you need a 3G data subscrption on top of your hardware purchase?

I don't know about other locations but in the UK the 3G facility comes free of charge from Amazon. I'd guess it's the same elsewhere.

That's right. It's free of charge (at least Amazon's Kindle and B&N's nook).  

Quote from colinjd on 04. Nov 2010 at 12:31:
Does the dictionary feature come pre-loaded or does it cost extra?

It's preloaded.

Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #16 - 04. Nov 2010 at 23:21

Quote from colinjd on 04. Nov 2010 at 12:31:
Heresy!!! Burn him, burn him!!!
I was expecting this that's why I mentioned it. Al least I don't have to worry about superfluous 'u's floating around. Tongue

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print