Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
23. Aug 2017 at 03:28
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creative Zen (Read 640 times)
Amphsix
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Newbie

Creative Zen
23. Sep 2010 at 02:10

Heya! who else here has a Creative Zen as an alternative to the iPod? I bought mine 3 years ago (a "vision: m" ) not only because I was slightly anti ipod (beause I didn't like to follow the masses so to speak) but also because it was a lot cheaper!  

30gb of files go onto it, plenty to support all the music I have digitally.. And also a handful of movies. This thing has served me very well in the past 3 years, almost daily! Definitely a worthwhile companion on all my travels =P And I hope it lasts for another 2-3 years, that would be great....

So, anyone else has one? and if you use your mp3 player daily, how long has it lasted so far? I have no idea about the lifelenght of an ipod, but is it just me or do they look so frail... I accidently dropped my Zen from 6 feet high yesterday and it still works fine (given, it has a silicon protection and my floor is soft xD ) it's so sturdy...

View Profile WWW Amphsix fiereci   IP Logged
Zoyns
PTF God

Re: Creative Zen
Reply #1 - 23. Sep 2010 at 08:29

I've had a Creative Zen X-FI2 for a month now, it's been really nice. It has 16GB storage and a touchscreen. I compared different players and just decided that my options would be a Ipod 80gb classic and this one. I chose Creative because I don't really NEED 80gb of space on my player, plus Creative was much cheaper. And I thought the touchscreen was a nice addition. I used to have a Ipod Classic 80gb but after (I think) 3 years it broke down. Everything else worked just fine, but in the end something happened to it and it wasn't able to write a new music library anymore. My Itunes didn't notice it when I plugged it on my PC and I couldn't add more music to it. I tried using Winamp to manage it, and it looked like it would work, but just when it was about to finish moving songs to the Ipod, the progress just jammed to the last part where it said "Writing music library". I waited for an hour and nothing happened. Then I just had to unplug the ipod harshly and after that I noticed that all my music from it was gone. That was the end of that Ipod.

http://www.last.fm/user/Zoyns
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Amphsix
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Newbie

Re: Creative Zen
Reply #2 - 23. Sep 2010 at 14:29

yeah 80gb really is too much... except when maybe you watch a lot of movies, but I'm no fan of watching movies on such a tiny screen (maybe when I'm in a bus or something, but it's not ideal). 80bg is enough to support weeks and weeks of unique music, who needs that, really?

Hmm, almost sounds like the firmware on the ipod got corrupted or something.. really too bad! they're not the cheapest of mp3 players, heh.  
I never had such problems with my Zen, luckily.. but maybe that's because I've always managed it by hand (just browsing the folders and adding music manually by dragging the files onto it).

View Profile WWW Amphsix fiereci   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print