Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
25. Jun 2017 at 14:54
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
3D60 (Read 1266 times)
colinjd
Topic Starter Topic Starter
yhW?
I've Donated!

3D60
23. Aug 2010 at 19:36

I don't know if this is the appropriate section of PTF-land...

Included in the upcoming release from The Orb & David Gilmour is an option for a 2-disc release, "featuring an alternative mix of the album in the new 3D60™ process, which creates a 360-degree sound experience when heard on headphones, using stereo tracks without the need for any special audio equipment.

No need to change your hardware, you only have to play the music through your normal headphones.

For more information about 3D60 go here http://www.3d60.co.uk/

I've just played the demo and it is quite a wierd aural experience. What do people think?

View Profile   IP Logged
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Re: 3D60
Reply #1 - 23. Aug 2010 at 19:55

It sound cool and great  Smiley it wold be great to the new The Orb & David Gilmour album in 3D60™

Anubian Lights - Naz Bar -Dreamstate In The Mainframe
Hawkwind - Alien 4
Amon Duul 2 - Phallus Dei
The Banana Splits: We're the Banana Splits-LP
Red Warszawa - Hævi Mætal og Hass
View Profile WWW myspace.com/signify2   IP Logged
Canadienbakon
PTF Full Member

Reply #2 - 23. Aug 2010 at 22:42

Sounded great!

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Reply #3 - 24. Aug 2010 at 07:42

Yeah that's how I found out about it too. I thought the demo was quite impressive. To be honest I'm a little surprised this hasn't come sooner -- video games have been using similar sound mixing techniques for some time.

I hope that the method catches on and becomes a big thing. Cheesy

View Profile   IP Logged
Canadienbakon
PTF Full Member

Reply #4 - 24. Aug 2010 at 08:23

You all NEED to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

Perfect use of 3D60

Email View Profile   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #5 - 24. Aug 2010 at 08:58

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording  Itś been around for a few decades  Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Reply #6 - 26. Aug 2010 at 00:10

Quote from TAKO on 24. Aug 2010 at 08:58:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording  Itś been around for a few decades  Wink

Yes, that is a recording process. 3D60 is a mixing process. They both can have similar results; however the rather significant difference is how that's achieved. Binaural recording involves placing microphones in a certain arrangement that will produce a recording that has sense of space and position. 3D60, on the other hand, does not require special microphone set ups and instead is simulated through a particular mixing process.

View Profile   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #7 - 27. Aug 2010 at 01:24

As far as I know, the Virtual Barber Shop is a true binaural recording. It sounds a lot more realistic than the 3D60 demo off the 3D60 website, which does not sound very impressive to me. The 3D60 seems to just add some crossfeed and reverb, and in the comparisons between stereo and 3D60 (in the street recording), the 3D60 portion seems to be recorded considerably louder, and appears to contain a lot more and deeper low frequency information. (Which could just be due to Fletcher Munson Curve) This makes any real comparison pretty pointless, but I could not say I got any real 3D effects from it, although there was some sense of hight that I don often get while listening to headphones.

« Last Edit: 27. Aug 2010 at 03:06 by TAKO »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print