Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
25. Jun 2017 at 14:49
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rip my cd's to flac... (Read 1831 times)
Mrguy
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior

[Something clever or
witty]

Rip my cd's to flac...
10. Aug 2010 at 21:02

I just got a new hard drive, so I want to rip my cd's to flac....
What's the best way to do this?
My needs;
  • good quality (once we get to the quality of flac, I probly won't be able to notice the difference between the options I don't think)
    • the option to attach album art
      • get tags from web
        • and most importantly, it needs to he relatively easy to use (and free)

Any tips/advice/recommendations?

Thanks in advance

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
adamello
PTF Junior

Re: Rip my cd's to flac...
Reply #1 - 10. Aug 2010 at 22:14

I recommend foobar2000 if you run Windows: http://www.foobar2000.org/download . Not the prettiest or most intuitive player, but is really great and plays virtually all sorts of files. It will do what you need, except I'm not sure about album art.

View Profile   IP Logged
pulse
PTF Full Member
I've Donated!

collapse the light
into earth...

Reply #2 - 11. Aug 2010 at 02:29

I use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) on my Windows PC. Among audiophiles, it is considered the holy grail for accurately ripping and archiving your compact discs. Simply put, when your optical CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive reads CDDA files, there can sometimes be distortion and errors in the stream caused by the drive motor or the alignment of the laser. There can also be errors if the laser has to read through dust or scratches. When these errors are produced during general play, you don't always notice them unless you are really listening; however, if you are ripping for archival purposes and your ripping software does not have the ability to correct these distortions and errors, they will end up permanently in the WAVE and subsequently archived FLAC, MP3, AAC, etc. file that you store on your hard drive. EAC is a wonderful program because it is built with the ability to analyze the optical drive and control the speed of the motor and the alignment of the laser as it rips your music, correcting errors. I have used many other great pieces of software and I swear by EAC.

Exact Audio Copy is a so called audio grabber for audio CDs using standard CD and DVD-ROM drives. The main differences between EAC and most other audio grabbers are:

† †* It is free (for non-commercial purposes)
 † †* It works with a technology, which reads audio CDs almost perfectly. If there are any errors that canít be corrected, it will tell you on which time position the (possible) distortion occurred, so you could easily control it with e.g. the media player

With other audio grabbers you usually need to listen to every grabbed wave because they only do jitter correction. Scratched CDs read on CD-ROM drives often produce distortions. But listening to every extracted audio track is a waste of time. Exact Audio Copy conquer these problems by making use of several technologies like multi-reading with verify and AccurateRip.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/

"A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." -- Tyrion Lannister, George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Mrguy
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Senior

[Something clever or
witty]

Reply #3 - 11. Aug 2010 at 08:59

I had EAC before, but i didnt understand it. I read a tutorial so I can grasp it a bit better now.  

is there way to add album art with it?

Rodrigo
PTF God

Reply #4 - 13. Aug 2010 at 02:33

As Adamello says, I'd go with foobar!, really useful and album art option.
Also if you don't like it's design, you can modify it with UI columns.

Email View Profile Rodrigo   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #5 - 22. Aug 2011 at 03:12

Question:
I reformatted my laptop and re-installed Nero 9.  
Nero9 can convert files like flac, wav, mp3 and some others without any problems, making foobar 2000 installation redundant and not very necessary.  
For the tech people in here:Should I still install foobar 2000?  
Is there a significant difference in quality in the files converted using foobar vs the files created using Nero? Thanks.

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #6 - 22. Aug 2011 at 09:24

Exact Audio Copy can be a real pain in the butt: Even the slightest damage or inconsistency in the disc can cause it to slow down to a crawl, taking hours to rip a single disc. When your discs are not badly scratched/scuffed you are probably better off using something else, your rips may not be "bit-perfect" but on clean discs I've never gotten any audible artifacts.

View Profile   IP Logged
KaiserSoze
PTF Newbie

Reply #7 - 23. Aug 2011 at 22:05

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Has a nice simple user interface and is based on EAC .

Well worth it  

~M~

View Profile   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #8 - 24. Aug 2011 at 01:45

Quote from brian_sever34 on 22. Aug 2011 at 03:12:
Question:
I reformatted my laptop and re-installed Nero 9.
Nero9 can convert files like flac, wav, mp3 and some others without any problems, making foobar 2000 installation redundant and not very necessary.
For the tech people in here:Should I still install foobar 2000?
Is there a significant difference in quality in the files converted using foobar vs the files created using Nero? Thanks.
Quote from TAKO on 22. Aug 2011 at 09:24:

Exact Audio Copy can be a real pain in the butt: Even the slightest damage or inconsistency in the disc can cause it to slow down to a crawl, taking hours to rip a single disc. When your discs are not badly scratched/scuffed you are probably better off using something else, your rips may not be "bit-perfect" but on clean discs I've never gotten any audible artifacts.

Anything wrong with Nero? (question)  Huh

View Profile   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #9 - 28. Aug 2011 at 08:57

Quote from brian_sever34 on 24. Aug 2011 at 01:45:

Anything wrong with Nero? (question) †Huh

Nero is fine I think, software like Exact Audio Copy is used by people worried about not getting "bit-perfect" rips. And while a song ripped with "normal" software may contain a few "bad" bits, the likelyhood of this causing anything audible is very small.
Exact audio copy can be useful on damaged discs, but for clean and new discs it only slows down the ripping proces without any real benefits.

Edit: †EAC does have "regular" ripping modes, which use either the error correction system of your drive, or no error correction at all, these are a lot faster , and the database acces and tagging are pretty easy to use. (There is an album art downloader aswell, but while this was effective in the past, it seems like a lot of the websites with album art are currently blocking this feature)
So my comments on EAC are mainly directed at it's "secure mode" with Accurate rip enabled.

« Last Edit: 28. Aug 2011 at 11:32 by TAKO »  
View Profile   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #10 - 28. Aug 2011 at 19:34

Thanks for the clarification.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print