Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
18. Aug 2017 at 02:12
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disappearing avatar (Read 833 times)
bob_32_116
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I'll get me cloak!

Disappearing avatar
04. Aug 2010 at 05:58

A few days ago I suddenly noticed that one of the members' avatars (Hawklords-Amon Duul II) seemed to have disappeared.

When I asked about this, Hawklords said that he had done nothing to modify it and he could still see it. Other members have not responded to my question about whether they can still see it.
I cannot see any avatar next to his posts, nor is it visible when I go to his profile.
I have viewed the page source to find the location of the image, which is stored on Photobucket, and by selecting that URL I can see the avatar, which is the same one he has always used, but I cannot see the avatar on the forum.
As far as I can tell this is the only member whose avatar has "disappeared". I can still see others, many of which are also stored on Photobucket. I do not have popups blocked, and I do not have "Load images for the originating site only" selected or anything like that.

View Profile   IP Logged
anortherncod
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Re: Disappearing avatar
Reply #1 - 04. Aug 2010 at 11:13

Quote from bob_32_116 on 04. Aug 2010 at 05:58:
Other members have not responded to my question about whether they can still see it.

Sorry Bob - *I* can still see it...

Brilliant. Resilient. A million bright ambassadors of morning
Email View Profile anortherncod   IP Logged
PTF Admin
PTF Administrator

I'm in command!! :-)

Reply #2 - 04. Aug 2010 at 13:32

Looks fine from here too. Tried a couple of browsers on both Mac and PC and I can see his avatar every time.

Maybe try clearing your browser cache...

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
bob_32_116
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #3 - 04. Aug 2010 at 15:34

Mystery is solved.
I checked my security settings, and somehow the browser was set to block images only from a certain section of photobucket. I cancelled that, and the avatar is back!

Of course the question remains how that setting came to be there in the first place - presumably it was a bizarre accidental combination of keypresses.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print