Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
23. Aug 2017 at 09:10
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
JazzKamikaze - Like Mew with jazz elements. (Read 7354 times)
Mac
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I'll get me cloak!

Bass Communion cures
sickness. Seriously.

JazzKamikaze - Like Mew with jazz elements.
15. Jun 2010 at 21:59

Hey there.

A friend made me aware of a Danish/Norwegian band today called Jazzkamikaze. I entered their website and their newest album which was released this year in March I believe, 'Supersonic Revolutions', just started blasting from the stream box. It took me by the biggest surprise. Their sound is very, very, very similar to Mew, almost a bit too similar if you ask me, but, as the name points towards, they've got some elements that Mew hasn't got, which is jazz. Crazy good jazz I might add. It's very dreamy, progressive, poppy and it just comes out so well.

For fans of the dreamy atmospheres, compositions and vocals of Mew and ofcourse jazzy elements, I advice you to go listen.

www.jazzkamikaze.com

Cheers.

"The most beautiful sound next to silence"

'Tonbänder' now out on Mrsvee http://tinyurl.com/yjdxo9p
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hasselbalch
View Profile   IP Logged
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Re: JazzKamikaze - Like Mew with jazz elements.
Reply #1 - 16. Jun 2010 at 09:46

Sounds interesting, need to give a listen to it then Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 16. Jun 2010 at 10:37

yeah, ok, but what does Mew sound like? Smiley

IP Logged
Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #3 - 16. Jun 2010 at 16:09

Haha, I first searched this band on Spotify and started listening to their 2007 release. I thought that it was pretty good but I was wondering where are the Mew-like elements. It was just this crazy jazz with no vocals or electric guitars or anything, just drums, bass and saxophone (and maybe other jazz instruments). Then I came back to this thread to check out if I started listening to wrong band. Then I decided to open that link you posted and - BANG- the music started playing. Holy sh*t this sounds awesome! I can't believe this is from the same band!!! It's been a while since a was this excited about a band! This definitely has a huge influence from Mew.

http://www.last.fm/user/Zoyns
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #4 - 16. Jun 2010 at 20:35

BTW, Music Is My Heroine kicks ass!

Quote from Adrian on 16. Jun 2010 at 10:37:
yeah, ok, but what does Mew sound like? Smiley

Mew is a prog/indie pop band, they have a very dreamy and atmospheric sound. Check them out if you haven't yet!

Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 17. Jun 2010 at 09:08

so is Radiohead, one could argue. Or Godspeed You! Black Emperor...
anyway - jazz and improv are quite my cup of tea, so might check these guys out...

IP Logged
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #6 - 17. Jun 2010 at 13:28

Man, they DO sound like Mew a lot! Shocked

View Profile   IP Logged
Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #7 - 17. Jun 2010 at 15:35

Quote from Adrian on 17. Jun 2010 at 09:08:
so is Radiohead, one could argue. Or Godspeed You! Black Emperor...
anyway - jazz and improv are quite my cup of tea, so might check these guys out...

But still they all are very different. That's why I don't like genres very much, you can't describe music accurately with them.

I've been listening to this album pretty much all yesterday evening and this day and I have to say I'm completely in love with this gem! Totally mindblowing album! Their singer sounds almost like Mew's singer and some of their songs sound like they could be from a Mew album, but there's also a heavier edge on some of the songs. And there's even one electro song at the end. When these things are added to the memoriable and CATCHY melodies and the jazz bits that are scattered all over the album, we have a complete gem here! This jumps straight to my top5 of the year and at the moment it's pretty close to being my favorite so far, but it's too early to tell that.

As a final note: Music Is My Heroine kicks ass!

PimPong
PTF God

Reply #8 - 17. Jun 2010 at 15:55

Quote from Zoyns on 17. Jun 2010 at 15:35:
As a final note: Music Is My Heroine kicks ass!

Gotta give them credit for trying something new! I think that I've heard something that could truly be called jazz metal for the first time, or at the very least, someone building on what King Crimson and others started.  

I've heard many songs with jazzy influences, but the way they layered this one is something else. I do wish the vocals were less alternative (Mew like Smiley), but this is good!

Thanks for the recommendation!

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 18. Jun 2010 at 09:52

ok PimPong, if that's your cup of tea. Go to runegrammofon.com now and listen to snippets of the new album by Puma there. Also Supersilent, Shining and Elephant9 will do you I think; all on the same label...

IP Logged
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Reply #10 - 23. Jun 2010 at 17:36

So based on this thread I decided to get their first album, "Mission 1" a try and I'm loving it! Although I don't hear even a tiny bit of Mew in there. If anything, they remind me of Naked City/John Zorn at times (which is a good thing!).

View Profile   IP Logged
SoundscapeMN
PTF God

Reply #11 - 24. Jun 2010 at 08:31

I'm checking this out, although with heavy emphasis of Soprano Sax, I'm a little skeptical.

The Mew thing makes some sense, although you could say a band like Time of Orchids or Kacica have a strong Mew-element, but it doesn't hurt their sound or make them sound derivative. I hope the same will hold true with this band's new album.

Email View Profile WWW SoundscapeMN angra_651 MNProgDude   IP Logged
PimPong
PTF God

Reply #12 - 24. Jun 2010 at 14:16

Quote from Adrian on 18. Jun 2010 at 09:52:
ok PimPong, if that's your cup of tea. Go to runegrammofon.com now and listen to snippets of the new album by Puma there. Also Supersilent, Shining and Elephant9 will do you I think; all on the same label...

Cool, thanks a lot! Some nice stuff there. I've bookmarked the page to explore it more when I get home.  Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 25. Jun 2010 at 16:47

along with Erstwhile and Samadhi Sound, Rune Grammofon is the best label in the world at the moment, at least for me... Really nice packaging but nothing extravagant and incredible MUSIC.

IP Logged
SoundscapeMN
PTF God

Reply #14 - 07. Jul 2010 at 01:22

:thumbs up:

I could see the new disc getting addictive, even with the influence/similarities to Mew. The writing is quite good.

MorbidStalker
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #15 - 07. Jul 2010 at 17:52

So I heard Mission I yesterday and although there are a few neat moments in it, it's still quite jazz to my ears, which is a style that never really appealed to me, though I always respected the awesome musicianship of jazz players.

On the other hand, I love Mew (not so much their latest release, though, but that's another story). Am I then to understand that JazzKamikaze's latest album is miles away from Mission I and that I will like it because I love Mew?

Thanks!

Email View Profile WWW MorbidStalker silent_nightdrifter   IP Logged
Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #16 - 24. Sep 2010 at 19:51

I just noticed that they had an update on their facebook page about a month ago that they are recording! So there's a chance that they have a new album coming out next year.

Quote from MorbidStalker on 07. Jul 2010 at 17:52:
Am I then to understand that JazzKamikaze's latest album is miles away from Mission I and that I will like it because I love Mew?

This comes a bit late *cough cough*, but yes, Supersonic Revolutions is miles away from their earlier album from what I've heard. It isn't full on jazz anymore, just uses jazz elements in song parts. They have a much more accessible sound now with Mew-like vocals and pop song structures.

SoundscapeMN
PTF God

Reply #17 - 26. Sep 2010 at 00:30

yeah I noticed something on facebook I think it was, just a day or 2 ago. But I don't recall it being about a new record. But if is..I'm interested. More 2011 FTW!

Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Reply #18 - 26. Sep 2010 at 01:33

Quote from Zoyns on 24. Sep 2010 at 19:51:

This comes a bit late *cough cough*, but yes, Supersonic Revolutions is miles away from their earlier album from what I've heard. It isn't full on jazz anymore, just uses jazz elements in song parts. They have a much more accessible sound now with Mew-like vocals and pop song structures.

Oh, that's pretty disappointing. But I'll probably still check it out, eventually.

View Profile   IP Logged
Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #19 - 29. Sep 2010 at 12:02

From their facebook:
Quote:
JazzKamikaze Back in the studio Wed, Thu, Fri... Finishing up two new songs... Funkier than ever... Softer than ever... Cooler than ever... Hotter than ever...

Sounds pretty cool to me! I hope the new songs are for a new album so they could release it in 2011!

Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #20 - 21. Jan 2011 at 14:00

I noticed today that JazzKamikaze has two new songs, Fatine and Rafters, streaming at their myspace page! Sounds pretty good. I have high hopes for their next album.

Rafters is a beautiful piano ballad while Fatine is more energetic and catchy. Neither are that "jazzy", I hope there are some jazzier songs on their upcoming album.

SoundscapeMN
PTF God

Reply #21 - 21. Jan 2011 at 22:45

I hope those are a preview of what they put out soon. So, no word on the next record? I'm working on some stuff for my blog about 2011 records, including what makes sense in the next 5 months, but without anything about the new record specifically, I'm probably going to guess Summer or Fall for the next album.

Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #22 - 22. Jan 2011 at 06:01

I hope so too! They put those songs up already on Dec 8th, I guess those are the two songs they mentioned in a quote I posted earlier. I haven't read any word on when they're going to release something, but it seems that they've been in studio during the last Fall and they are also working on something right now. I don't know if they started working on the album or just those two songs in the last Fall, but I'd guess Summer or Fall are close to truth. Maybe late Spring at earliest if they really started working on the album during the last years Fall.

SoundscapeMN
PTF God

Reply #23 - 24. Jan 2011 at 23:39

based on how these things work, I would not expect it until late Summer or after, unless they start updating their facebook/twitter more regularly.

ACF
yhW?

Reply #24 - 27. Jan 2011 at 22:40

This sounds pretty good!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print