Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
27. Jun 2017 at 08:07
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
"I Drive the Hearse" Beatles reference? (Read 7566 times)
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Re: "I Drive the Hearse" Beatles reference?
Reply #25 - 20. Jan 2012 at 12:40

I am not necessarily wanting to contradict anybody here who cites similarity with certain PT songs, or parts thereof, with parts of certain Beatles song...

BUT...

I often think, when I see such-and-such a piece of music described as "Slightly Beates sounding", all it really means is that the music sounds more typical of the mid to late 1960s than other periods. The Beatles were the most successful, and one of the most influential, bands of that period, but there were hundreds of other artists around. It's my guess that many reviewers are simply not as familiar with other music that existed alongside the Beatles, or perhaps they don't expect their readers to be familiar.

Sometimes I can almost hear the writers' brains ticking over: "It's clearly not influenced by Hendrix or Cream or proto-metal bands like Black Sabbath, so it must be taking its inspiration from The Beatles."

View Profile   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Re: "I Drive the Hearse" Beatles reference?
Reply #26 - 22. Jan 2012 at 22:35

Even if what you just said above is true, if something is slightly beatles sounding, doesnt change the fact its STILL slightly Beatles Sounding haha.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print