Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
26. Jun 2017 at 11:30
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Poll
Question: Do you find the volume of sound at gigs deafening?

It's deafening, definitely
Normal
It's too low
Well...

« Created by: dima on: 20. Nov 2009 at 18:42 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Do you find the volume of sound at gigs deafening? (Read 9064 times)
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Re: Do you find the volume of sound at gigs deafen
Reply #50 - 23. Apr 2010 at 00:55

Quote from sjst3wart on 23. Apr 2010 at 00:12:
Yeah, I've found PT to be at a comfortable level the last two times I saw them. Bigelf on the other hand... I had earplugs in for the entirety of their set and my ears were still ringing.

So even with earplugs, ears do ring?  Huh

With PT quite a few times ears were ringing... and still are sadly  undecided

View Profile   IP Logged
Placid_Eyes
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 24. Apr 2010 at 12:26

The only time I remember my ears ringing at a gig was when I saw Long-view @ The Ritz in Manchester. Stood at the front with the stack just to my right. Seem to remember feeling my lungs rattling inside my ribcage too  Grin

IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #52 - 25. Apr 2010 at 12:35

I did the silliest thing for the PT concert in Melbourne in February...

Having been warned that PT can be loud and that Sleep Parade were louder, I packed some cheap little earplugs in my luggage for the trip. Having been so well prepared, I then forgot to take them to the concert.  lips sealed

As soon as Sleep Parade began playing, I realised I wanted them and didn't have them.  

Fortunately I managed to get through their set without losing my hearing, though I did find myself cupping my hands over my ears a couple of times. And although the main act were a bit louder than I deem necessary, they were a good deal quieter than Sleep Parade, who must rate as the most unaptly named band in the country.

I went to a gay nightclub last Saturday and the music was horribly loud, and was a good deal worse than Sleep Parade. It was also louder than I remember it being at that same club from previous visits, which makes me think the sound engineer is a fan of AC/DC. Or, possibly, Sleep Parade.

View Profile   IP Logged
JPenguin
PTF Junior

Reply #53 - 17. Jul 2010 at 05:24

I voted "Normal" but I'm definitely moving towards too loud.

I've usually been lucky with buying tickets to seated events with close seats or for GA I line up and get up close and I'm really starting to find things too loud. When I started going to concerts a few years ago I didn't have a problem but now it's definitely getting too loud. I've tried ear plugs at one show but didn't really enjoy it as much . . . . . .

My biggest problem is that after the show ends I spend the next 2 hours with the most insane head splitting headache undecided, especially bad this time of year with the heat. I don't know whether it's the noise, the lack of food, water, crowd or what (probably all of the above actually) but it's pretty brutal every time.

View Profile   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #54 - 24. Jul 2010 at 22:13

I found PT volume quite right. But..... I've been going to gigs for several years and possibly I'm loosing my hearing.  Huh

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #55 - 06. Aug 2010 at 16:32

I have a question about this:

I am going to a concert next weekend; there are three bands on, so there is a good chance that one or more of them will play very loud. I have some earplugs that were very cheap - all they are is little peices of foam that you push into yur ears.

My question, to anyone who knows about these things, is: are these likely to do the job, or should I invest in something a bit more sophisticated? Are there earplugs and earplugs?

View Profile   IP Logged
znaak
I'll get me cloak!

Alla människor tog
slut

Reply #56 - 06. Aug 2010 at 17:54

I don't really mind high volume at gigs. But after the Skinny Puppy gig I felt it was a bit too high. It hurt.  Tongue But it didn't matter while they wre on. Hehehe.

I never agreed to be
Your holy one
Email View Profile WWW znaak   IP Logged
Lisa_Cooper91
I'll get me cloak!

member since 2007!
my profile info is a
LIE!

Reply #57 - 06. Aug 2010 at 18:01

Quote from znaak on 06. Aug 2010 at 17:54:
I don't really mind high volume at gigs. But after the Skinny Puppy gig I felt it was a bit too high. It hurt.  Tongue But it didn't matter while they wre on. Hehehe.

that's always with Skinny Puppy.
I remember someone posted a picture of a sign that said that the sound would be louder than other concerts

2009: met Alice Cooper
2010: met Alice and Richard Barbieri
Now these are the best years, truly the best years of my life
Email View Profile WWW Lisa_Cooper91 dejonglisa   IP Logged
znaak
I'll get me cloak!

Alla människor tog
slut

Reply #58 - 06. Aug 2010 at 18:06

That's not really shocking.  Grin

I never agreed to be
Your holy one
pinktree1
PTF Full Member

Reply #59 - 06. Aug 2010 at 18:36

Quote from bob_32_116 on 06. Aug 2010 at 16:32:
Are there earplugs and earplugs?  

The foam-things kill the high frequencies. If you want to hear the whole spectrum, you have to spend more money.
Unfurtunately in german, but an overview:

http://www.thomann.de/de/gehoerschutz.html

View Profile   IP Logged
clouds41
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #60 - 17. Aug 2010 at 21:37

Quote from pinktree1 on 06. Aug 2010 at 18:36:

The foam-things kill the high frequencies. If you want to hear the whole spectrum, you have to spend more money.

I bought a pair of musician plugs from my audiologist. I have tried them twice and both times elected to take them out. I need to get the filters for them that allow a higher decible to come through. I suppose it could be that my hearing loss is to great already and the plugs would work great for those with normal or better hearing. They were a small investment, thankfully I can use them to mow the lawn and when using power tools so they were not a total waste.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #61 - 17. Aug 2010 at 22:49

Quote from pinktree1 on 06. Aug 2010 at 18:36:

Thomann speaks English too  Wink

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ear_protection.html

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #62 - 22. Aug 2010 at 18:05

Update:

I asked the attendant at a pharmacy about various kinds of earplugs, but it soon became clear that he knew less than I did about the issue. Example: He thought a rating of 27dB might mean that 27dB was the maximum level that the plugs would allow to reach your ears. (In fact of course it's the amount by which the sound is reduced.)

I elected to take my existing cheap foam ones (rated at 27dB) just in case I needed them, and not stress about whether I was missing the full sound spectrum.

When the bands took to the stage I did indeed find the volume a bit painful, so I put the plugs in. I immediately noticed a change in the timbre of the sound as well as the volume. I wouldn't say it sounded better or worse, just different. It didn't stop me from enjoying the music though, and in the case of Midnight Juggernauts, whose tunes I was already familiar with, I couldn't pick any deficiencies over what I hear on the CD. Moreover, after the concert my ears were not ringing.

So yes, I would use them again, they seem a pretty cheap and sensible investment in safety.

View Profile   IP Logged
CutRibbon
I'll get me cloak!

Give me the freedom
to destroy

Reply #63 - 07. Sep 2010 at 00:37

Hmm. I'm kinda afraid of earplugs. I know a person who used earplugs when she was sleeping. And then when she woke up it had broken into two pieces and half of it had gotten way into her ear. She had to go to the doctor.

Email View Profile therealannemarte   IP Logged
znaak
I'll get me cloak!

Alla människor tog
slut

Reply #64 - 07. Sep 2010 at 09:30

Quote from CutRibbon on 07. Sep 2010 at 00:37:
Hmm. I'm kinda afraid of earplugs. I know a person who used earplugs when she was sleeping. And then when she woke up it had broken into two pieces and half of it had gotten way into her ear. She had to go to the doctor.

And a guy at my work had bad hearing for 10 years. After a visit to the doctor it turned out he had a piece of an earplug stuck in there. Stupidity at its best.  Cool

I never agreed to be
Your holy one
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #65 - 01. Oct 2010 at 15:16

Quote from CutRibbon on 07. Sep 2010 at 00:37:

My little foam ones are just a simple cylinder shape, so I imagine there could be a problem with that. It wasn't going to worry me though, since I was only using them for a concert rather than sleeping with them in my ears.

Aren't there some slightly fancy ones that have an inner part that sticks in your ear and does the job of reducing the sound level, and a larger outer part that prevents the whole thing from going in? Sort of like a dummy, but to fit an ear instead of a mouth?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print