Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
20. Aug 2017 at 04:58
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Poll
Question: Do you find the volume of sound at gigs deafening?

It's deafening, definitely
Normal
It's too low
Well...

« Created by: dima on: 20. Nov 2009 at 18:42 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Do you find the volume of sound at gigs deafening? (Read 9699 times)
4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Re: Do you find the volume of sound at gigs deafen
Reply #25 - 28. Nov 2009 at 10:24

Well...

It's not really that much a matter of volume but the quality of the sound and the mix. For instance, the Genesis gig in Katowice/Chorzow was very loud but the sound was very clear and well-ballanced. I hate it when I just get a loud noise (which sometimes happen at PT gigs unfortunately).

View Profile wp____ www.myspace.com/lavenderpoland   IP Logged
clouds41
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #26 - 01. Dec 2009 at 01:59

Quote from TAKO on 25. Nov 2009 at 13:35:
@clouds41: Have you consulted your doctor about switching off your hearing aid at concerts instead of wearing earplugs? I would think this way you are still causing damage to your ears; The sound is still loud enough to destroy the  hair cells you have left,  you just don't hear it anymore....
You may actually be at a greater risk because of this.  

No. I am sure you are probably correct. Depending on the venue though, earplugs for me totally ruin the sound as my hearing is already so far gone. I may as well not go. I have begun to think seeing shows in smaller clubs is probably not in my best interest anymore. I saw PT in Toronto, Queen E Theater, I did not find it to be overly loud, I had no ringing afterwards. Probably because I sat in the balcony.

I saw Opeth in a club in Toronto this year, that was bad (the show was about my favorite ever), WAY too loud. Also saw Dredg in a very small club, also WAY too loud.  

It really stinks. What to do? I love going to concerts. The smaller venues are often the best...

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
clouds41
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #27 - 01. Dec 2009 at 02:03

Quote from 4ctmam on 28. Nov 2009 at 10:24:
Well...

It's not really that much a matter of volume but the quality of the sound and the mix. For instance, the Genesis gig in Katowice/Chorzow was very loud but the sound was very clear and well-ballanced. I hate it when I just get a loud noise (which sometimes happen at PT gigs unfortunately).

Agreed. I saw Pink Floyd years ago. The sound quality was amazing, and never too loud. Perfect. I have also seen The Moody Blues and Yes and they are the same, excellent quality over volume.

PimPong
PTF God

Reply #28 - 01. Dec 2009 at 19:28

Depends on the show. Typically, Opeth and PT get it just right, for me at least, although PT's Incident stuff was little louder than I expected.

The Cult's "reunion" tour of 2006 had some of the loudest shows ever. Isis was the same way earlier this year.  

I prefer the concerts to not be as loud for three reasons:
1. I want to preserve my hearing, which is currently in decent shape,
2. I want to be able to hear the musical intricacies, and
3. I haven't found earplugs that only turn the volume down, without pretty much isolating an instrument.  

Louder concerts with earplugs are generally fine if you're listening to some straight forward hard rock or punk with simpler arrangements, but I do think that some of the "progressive" bands should turn down the volume some so that everyone can enjoy the music better, as complex arrangements when played really loud often turn into noise.

View Profile   IP Logged
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #29 - 03. Dec 2009 at 15:46

I am going to have to use the earplugs in the remaining shows. I have a ringing in my left ear that has been there since Amsterdam, and increased after Madrid and BCN... undecided

View Profile   IP Logged
poter50
PTF God
I've Donated!

Reply #30 - 03. Dec 2009 at 16:00

Quote from voyage72 on 03. Dec 2009 at 15:46:
I am going to have to use the earplugs in the remaining shows. I have a ringing in my left ear that has been there since Amsterdam, and increased after Madrid and BCN... undecided

I wear earplugs since the Paradiso shows 2006...and the name is Alpine Partyplugs...

2011: April- Blackfield, Amsterdam: October- Ricky Koole, Zoetermeer: October- Steven Wilson, A'dam : October- Steven Wilson, Zoetermeer: November - Moke, A'dam: November- Steve Hackett, Zoetermeer
View Profile moonloop45 poter48   IP Logged
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #31 - 03. Dec 2009 at 16:09

Quote from poter49 on 03. Dec 2009 at 16:00:
Alpine

Same ones I have!

View Profile   IP Logged
Scots Pine
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

The sly moves
sideways...

Reply #32 - 04. Dec 2009 at 00:42

Quote from voyage72 on 03. Dec 2009 at 15:46:

That was a loud one...loudest of the 5 we saw in Oct...mind you there was a speaker right in front of us Wink

The new Apple gadget for women - The iRon...
View Profile Scots Pine scots_pine   IP Logged
arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #33 - 04. Dec 2009 at 09:04

it obviously depends on the venue and the band but i find myself hardly ever being deafened at gigs any more. i think that's just because my ears are screwed due to the large number of gigs i have been to down the years where i got regularly deafened in small places like the astoria and the marquee club. i do also think that some bands, especially those whose music is quite complex like pt or mastodon are sacraficing a bit of volume to try and maintain the clarity of their music.

Some say a comet will fall from the sky,
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves,
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still,
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh*ts...
Email View Profile   IP Logged
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #34 - 06. Dec 2009 at 22:46

Quote from Scots Pine on 04. Dec 2009 at 00:42:
That was a loud one...loudest of the 5 we saw in Oct...mind you there was a speaker right in front of us

Yep that speaker was the one that totally killed me! cry

View Profile   IP Logged
moonLight
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 07. Dec 2009 at 14:38

Not any more...whether thats down to my hearing going downhill or better mixing I don't know!Havent had any ringing in my ears for a while now, no not even after the HMH  

IP Logged
arctangent
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #36 - 09. Dec 2009 at 12:09

Quote from moonLight on 07. Dec 2009 at 14:38:
Not any more...whether thats down to my hearing going downhill or better mixing I don't know!Havent had any ringing in my ears for a while now, no not even after the HMH

pardon?  Wink

Some say a comet will fall from the sky,
Followed by meteor showers and tidal waves,
Followed by faultlines that cannot sit still,
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh*ts...
Email View Profile   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #37 - 10. Dec 2009 at 09:45

There was only one time where it ever bothered me. It was at an Opeth show in '05 at the House of Blues in Chicago. My ears rang for literally a week after that.

View Profile signify2metanoia   IP Logged
Mac
I'll get me cloak!

Bass Communion cures
sickness. Seriously.

Reply #38 - 12. Dec 2009 at 18:00

Ask someone who's been to a Sunn O))) gig; I've heard they play bloody loud. Even the tough ones have to give in and use ear plugs.

"The most beautiful sound next to silence"

'Tonbänder' now out on Mrsvee http://tinyurl.com/yjdxo9p
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hasselbalch
View Profile   IP Logged
parashizzle
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 13. Dec 2009 at 22:51

I haven´t been to many concerts, but PT played much louder than Nine Inch Nails did in the HMH. Didn´t have any ringing ears, tough. I was either lucky or already have bad hearing. Tongue

The loudest I've heard a band play was Eagles Of Death Metal at Lowlands festival. It made a friend of mine puke.
I'm not a big fan, but they know how to put up a show.

It all depends on the sound guy the band has hired. If the guy already is practically deaf, he'll make sure you will be aswell.

IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #40 - 14. Dec 2009 at 12:23

Quote from parashizzle on 13. Dec 2009 at 22:51:

The loudest I've heard a band play was Eagles Of Death Metal at Lowlands festival. It made a friend of mine puke.

Sure, I'd blame loud music too, if I puked my guts out in front of a live audience  Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
Lisa_Cooper91
I'll get me cloak!

member since 2007!
my profile info is a
LIE!

Reply #41 - 14. Dec 2009 at 19:01

Quote from parashizzle on 13. Dec 2009 at 22:51:
It all depends on the sound guy the band has hired. If the guy already is practically deaf, he'll make sure you will be aswell.

epic!

2009: met Alice Cooper
2010: met Alice and Richard Barbieri
Now these are the best years, truly the best years of my life
Email View Profile WWW Lisa_Cooper91 dejonglisa   IP Logged
lodge1954
PTF God
I've Donated!

Reply #42 - 15. Dec 2009 at 12:56

Sometimes - after Tangerine Dream my head was funny for a couple of days, which is worse than normal.  It was probably no louder than standing right in front of Mr. Edwin, but it was the non-stop aural assault that did the damage - there was no respite.

I quite like the numb feeling in my head after a PT gig  Grin.

View Profile   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #43 - 26. Dec 2009 at 05:10

99% of the time I wear ear plugs....unfortunately for the last PT fall '09 tour.....i went to three shows not wearing them. And my ears still ring today, I definitely got a minor case of tinnitus from those three concerts. But the music does sound 100 times clearer and better without ear plugs compared to wearing them. But even at PT shows I will continue to wear ear plugs.

View Profile   IP Logged
Vicuna
PTF Newbie

Reply #44 - 27. Dec 2009 at 18:49

It varies.  Like most of you say, depends on the quality of the sound not the volume.

View Profile   IP Logged
kitteh_boi
yhW?

easily cast aside...

Reply #45 - 29. Dec 2009 at 18:00

Proper plugs only 'round off' the shrillness of some frequencies and you tend to lose quality of sound. There are musicians plugs that work great! The doc actually makes them fit to your own ear and you wait for them to be made custom just for your head... They only round off about 5-10dB, but the frequencies that make your head ring or rattle your eardrums (or make you puke in one case above! Grin) are eliminated.

Any bit helps though when you are 15 feet from a Marshall full stack cranked up to 10!  Wink

'The only reason I am alive is that I could not die.'

There are 3 types of drummers in the world - Those who can count and those who can't...
View Profile   IP Logged
PTCB1
PTF God
I've Donated!

PBWM

Reply #46 - 11. Jan 2010 at 05:21

Quote from SkinnyPuppy91 on 20. Nov 2009 at 21:10:
I just love that feeling in my ears after a very, veeery loud gig Smiley

I've been using earplugs since before I graduated from college, even on the el and on planes.  My logic is this:  I'd rather use my hearing gradually over the course of my entire life than all at once.  I have a $350 pair that is custom-molded to my ears and the filters are removable so you can clean the soft plastic part.  I lucked out, I guess you could say, by being rained on with shattered glass at the second-last show I attended in Chicago before moving to Nashville; the venue's insurance paid for me to go to an ENT doctor to get them.  (Some drunk idiot who'd been kicked out after trying to fiddle with the sound board during the set break came back and threw bricks through the windows in an "I'll show you" fit of immaturity, and I got rained on with the glass.  Some other poor dude got hit with the brick!)

No one gets to their heaven without a fight. -Rush
Everybody's had to fight to be free. -Tom Petty
Fight the Good Fight (whole song) Triumph

Keep fighting and win that war, baby.
View Profile   IP Logged
clouds41
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #47 - 05. Mar 2010 at 20:45

Quote from zzaehp on 29. Dec 2009 at 18:00:
Proper plugs only 'round off' the shrillness of some frequencies and you tend to lose quality of sound. There are musicians plugs that work great! The doc actually makes them fit to your own ear and you wait for them to be made custom just for your head... They only round off about 5-10dB, but the frequencies that make your head ring or rattle your eardrums (or make you puke in one case above! Grin) are eliminated.

Any bit helps though when you are 15 feet from a Marshall full stack cranked up to 10!  Wink

I saw my audiologist today for a check-up, unfortunately my hearing continues to decline. I am going to Opeth in NYC and PT in Buffalo so I asked about these plugs and ordered a pair for $160!! Wow. Hope I never lose them.

clouds41
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #48 - 08. Apr 2010 at 21:32

Took my new plugs to Opeth in NYC. Put them in for the first song, took them out after the first song. Concert wasn't loud enough to overcome the plugs! I left with no ringing.

I will try them again at PT next month.

sjst3wart
PTF Full Member

If I left the stage
would that be wrong?

Reply #49 - 23. Apr 2010 at 00:12

Quote from drawing_the_line on 27. Nov 2009 at 05:00:
PT, on the other hand, was perfect in terms of volume. Not too loud, and not too soft.

Yeah, I've found PT to be at a comfortable level the last two times I saw them.  Bigelf on the other hand... I had earplugs in for the entirety of their set and my ears were still ringing.

10/24/07: Kansas City, MO - Uptown Theatre | 9/22/09: Chicago, IL - The Vic | 4/20/10: Dallas, TX - House of Blues
View Profile WWW sjst3wart sjst3wart sjst3wart   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print