Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
26. Jun 2017 at 11:31
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Poll
Question: Do you find the volume of sound at gigs deafening?

It's deafening, definitely
Normal
It's too low
Well...

« Created by: dima on: 20. Nov 2009 at 18:42 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Do you find the volume of sound at gigs deafening? (Read 9065 times)
dima
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Full Member

Pan Czarnopolski

Do you find the volume of sound at gigs deafening?
20. Nov 2009 at 18:42

Well, it's pretty self-explanatory. Personally, I feel like I've got tons of cotton in my ears after a rock gig, I wonder how SW's ears must be feeling... Smiley

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Re: Do you find the volume of sound at gigs deafen
Reply #1 - 20. Nov 2009 at 18:45

Some are uber loud, but that's why God - or someone anyway - invented ear plugs - a good pair goes a LONG way!  Smiley  

I don't mind the volume personally, but I still err on the side of caution.  I like to hear.   Wink

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
matthew_a
PTF God

Reply #2 - 20. Nov 2009 at 19:05

Scientifically, most concerts are too loud, and do damage hearing. At that decibel level, it's actually the prolonged exposure, not the shear volume itself that does it. Depending on the concert, I sometimes take plugs. As a musician trying to make some sort of career out of it, I'm not wasting my ears simply by sticking with the cool crowd and not wearing protection.

View Profile WWW http://www.myspace.com/schwebemusic   IP Logged
Luppe
PTF God

Reply #3 - 20. Nov 2009 at 20:38

Well... I use earplugs. All the time.

'
View Profile   IP Logged
albdron
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

I'm the Problem!

Reply #4 - 20. Nov 2009 at 21:02

.................WHAT WAS THAT YOU SAID ...........?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell
View Profile   IP Logged
Lisa_Cooper91
I'll get me cloak!

member since 2007!
my profile info is a
LIE!

Reply #5 - 20. Nov 2009 at 21:10

I just love that feeling in my ears after a very, veeery loud gig Smiley

2009: met Alice Cooper
2010: met Alice and Richard Barbieri
Now these are the best years, truly the best years of my life
Email View Profile WWW Lisa_Cooper91 dejonglisa   IP Logged
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Reply #6 - 20. Nov 2009 at 21:15

Quote from SkinnyPuppy91 on 20. Nov 2009 at 21:10:
I just love that feeling in my ears after a very, veeery loud gig
 Grin  Grin  Grin

Words of the young and innocent.  Cheesy   That's so cute!  Just wait!  lips sealed

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
Lisa_Cooper91
I'll get me cloak!

member since 2007!
my profile info is a
LIE!

Reply #7 - 20. Nov 2009 at 22:36

oooh I already start to notice that I'm kinda deaf-ish at sometimes Grin Grin

voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #8 - 20. Nov 2009 at 23:36

I have realised that since some years ago my ears ring a lot more. Not THAT much... but some. It was bad after the Lille gig of PT, also in Tilburg and the last HMH one too. I have used earplugs, but the loss of quality is so big...  undecided

View Profile   IP Logged
InsaneKat
PTF Senior

I'll never let you
go...

Reply #9 - 20. Nov 2009 at 23:39

Yes it is quite loud, but not necessarily in a bad way.

This is a barren body It is made of wood and stone This is a fragile heart and It is to be left alone
dima
PTF Full Member

Pan Czarnopolski

Reply #10 - 21. Nov 2009 at 08:31

Quote from proggrl on 20. Nov 2009 at 18:45:
that's why God - or someone anyway - invented ear plugs

You know, I did take earplugs for an Isis gig I attended - not that it helped, anyway... Sad On the contrary, the plugs stuck into ears produced some kind of unpleasant pressure on the eardums, so I was compelled to finally take them out and bear on...
I wonder, do the musicians on stage feel the same kind of loudness or is it muffled due to the earphones they may wear or acoustics? What do you know of this?

Welshlass
PTF Junior

Jump on my pressure
pill?

Reply #11 - 23. Nov 2009 at 14:37

I get used to it after 10 minutes, then I reckon it's the norm. :p

View Profile   IP Logged
Ms. Mouse
PTF God

Jaffa Mouse!

Reply #12 - 23. Nov 2009 at 16:58

I've only been to one concert and that was the PT show in Cleveland. I didn't need any ear plugs and my ears felt just fine afterwards.

NOT LOUD ENOUGH!  Grin

Behind my eyes is a rage unknown.
But you don't understand, it was all home grown.
View Profile WWW kneelanddisconnect glacial1602 internationalpopstar87   IP Logged
the fly moves sideways...
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #13 - 23. Nov 2009 at 19:50

there are so many sound variables to consider when at a gig ...

The type is music is one - a constant barrage of thrash noise will cause you more pain and discomfort at a gig if it is blasting out at a stupid volume and has been badly mixed from the desk. Standing near a PA stack is NOT recommended either, although there are some that think this is THE place to be for full benefit!
 Roll Eyes
I think the loudest gig I can recall was It Bites in Glasgow Barrowlands many years ago - their volume was really on the pain threshold (yeah someone somewhere is gonna say no matter what the volume was, they sound painfull... Roll Eyes ). But the volume was MASSIVE!!! Strangely though, the mix was excellent and everything could be heard VERY well!!!

I saw Killing Joke at the ABC in Glasgow and left with my ears ringing - purely because the mix was so bad it was just a wall of noise! No definition of sound at all. The guitar was crashing away making a dischordant racket as the drums and bass just rumbled and thundered all around it. Jaz Coleman's screams and shouts were somewhere in the mix but couldnt really be heard whilst the clatter was going on around him. The volume wasn't that bad, it was just noise, that's all.

As for the musicians on stage being affected, bear in mind that many of them now use in-ear-monitor systems and this helps eliminate some of the sound frmo the PA, which incidentally you may have noticed they are BEHIND, so they are not getting the amount of volume on stage that we, the audience, hear up front. In fact, it would surprise many people to find out how lillte sound frmo the PA actually bleeds over onto the stage and affects the musicians - the worst thing there is bounce-back of sound from the hall or wherever...

In answer to the main question though, if it is too loud, move further back! Simple! You should be able to find a place where you can see the band AND hear them confortably. Not everyone needs to be as close to the stage or PA as possible to actually hear, see and fully enjoy a show.

Wink Wink Wink

Dont ya just love British Telecom - Possibly the worst customer service I have ever encountered! 2 weeks to fix it - but it's on now...

HI EVERYBODY!!!
Email View Profile http://www.bebo.com/PaulT914   IP Logged
drawing_the_line
PTF God

Bursting into little
streams of light

Reply #14 - 24. Nov 2009 at 13:04

That's why I bring ear plugs to every gig!  Smiley A good set of musician's earplugs can go a long way.

Times I've seen Porcupine Tree Live

Oct 10 2005 USA, Cincinnati: Bogart's
May 01 2010 CINCINNATI, USA: Bogart's
View Profile ripplesonthewaves MadeAgain1982 http://www.myspace.com/progrocker22   IP Logged
dima
PTF Full Member

Pan Czarnopolski

Reply #15 - 24. Nov 2009 at 13:10

Smiley Smiley
I remember being at the very back of a 2,000-2,500 capacity hall and and the sound was still too strong at times...

Scots Pine
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

The sly moves
sideways...

Reply #16 - 24. Nov 2009 at 20:17

Quote from the fly moves sideways... on 23. Nov 2009 at 19:50:
As for the musicians on stage being affected, bear in mind that many of them now use in-ear-monitor systems and this helps eliminate some of the sound frmo the PA, which incidentally you may have noticed they are BEHIND, so they are not getting the amount of volume on stage that we, the audience, hear up front. In fact, it would surprise many people to find out how lillte sound frmo the PA actually bleeds over onto the stage and affects the musicians - the worst thing there is bounce-back of sound from the hall or wherever...

Quite right there...I've been on the front row at gigs when all I could hear is drums & bass from the stage monitors and backline - because the PA was actually behind me...also weird when you hear the drums from the stage without any amplification...sounds so tinny and weak...

As for loudest gigs...Mega City Four in Inverness about 20 years ago was definately the loudest i'd experienced...well into the pain level. Took about 2 or 3 days for the ringing and muffled feeling to leave. Definately over the last year or so I've noticed a slight loss in hearing, particularly in among groups of people in pubs / clubs where there is a lot of background noise. As a result I bought earplugs earlier this year and now take them to every gig without fail. The Alpine ones I have filter out a lot of the distortion and fuzz and I actually prefer wearing them now...helped a lot at HMH in Oct when we were right in front of a speaker - the sound was perfectly clear but just too loud there.

So, youngsters - look after your hearing - you don't get a second chance  Wink

The new Apple gadget for women - The iRon...
View Profile Scots Pine scots_pine   IP Logged
clouds41
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #17 - 25. Nov 2009 at 02:46

Some are too loud. Depends on the venue and the band. I thought The Incident was a little above normal.

During the Deadwing tour I saw them in this little club and it was extremely loud. My ears rang for nearly 3 days.  Then I got hearing aids. Not because of PT obviously, it was a long decline. Now I don't wear ear plugs, I just turn off my hearing aids.

Not to preach, but from someone who wears hearing aids from excessive noise exposure, concerts included, wear ear plugs. It might catch up with you one day. The problem is you don't have sudden loss, get aids, and thats it. The loss continues, hopefully at a reduced pace because you actually listened to your doctor. Mine continues to decline (and I do listen to him). Slowly, but I sometimes wonder if 10 years from now I will be screwed, no more shows. Its a real pain. Don't mess around with your hearing!!!

dima
PTF Full Member

Pan Czarnopolski

Reply #18 - 25. Nov 2009 at 07:40

Quote from Scots Pine on 24. Nov 2009 at 20:17:
The Alpine ones I have

And do you happen to know if there's a best material for the plugs to be made of or a best form? Thanks Smiley

eatingalison
PTF God
I've Donated!

Reply #19 - 25. Nov 2009 at 12:22

I have been going to see bands since I was a teenager, and, yes, that was a long time ago. My ex was in a really loud metal band and I used to go to gigs and rehearsals regularly!!! I have never worn ear plugs and I must admit that I do now have some degree of hearing loss which is why I would advise my kids (one of whom is a metal fan who goes to lots of gigs AND plays bass) to wear earplugs - not that they listen to me!! So there you go kids!!

I planned to change the world but I couldn't find a babysitter...
Email View Profile eatingalison   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #20 - 25. Nov 2009 at 13:35

It's not a question if one FINDS the volume levels at gigs deafening, they simply are, most rock concerts are so loud that they WILL damage your hearing within minutes. The damage might be small , but repeated exposure can accumulate to severe deafness or tinitus at a very young age.
A recent survey indicated that many young people have the hearing of a 60-70 year old, which might sound funny when you're 15 years old, but isn't quite so funny anymore when a few years later, you realise you have to rely on the same ears for another 60 to 70 years, and presumably would like to use them to enjoy more music.  
The last PT concert I attended was so loud that drum-hits didn't register as sound, but as pain, these sound levels can cause instant hearing damage, even complete deafness.
I won't be visiting any more rock concerts because of this, since i find wearing earplugs much to uncomfortable, AND i finf it completely crazy to wear earplugs to a concert: Imagine they'd turn up the brightness in a movie theatre so much that you'd have to wear welding-goggles to prevent you from going blind?

I've sayd it before and i'll say it again: If Steven Wilson is so concerned about young people and music, why is he exposing his own fans to these ludicrous sound levels, damaging the "instruments" people need to enjoy music?

@clouds41: Have you consulted your doctor about switching off your hearing aid at concerts instead of wearing earplugs? I would think this way you are still causing damage to your ears; The sound is still loud enough to destroy the hair cells you have left, you just don't hear it anymore....
You may actually be at a greater risk because of this.

View Profile   IP Logged
dima
PTF Full Member

Pan Czarnopolski

Reply #21 - 26. Nov 2009 at 19:19

Quote from TAKO on 25. Nov 2009 at 13:35:
he last PT concert I attended was so loud that drum-hits didn't register as sound, but as pain

Apparently, it's very close to what I experienced at the PT gig I attended as well... Quite sad undecided

drawing_the_line
PTF God

Bursting into little
streams of light

Reply #22 - 27. Nov 2009 at 05:00

Surprisingly enough, when I went to see Coldplay this June, the sound was incredibly loud. They were louder than Rush, who were pretty damn loud!  Shocked Makes me wonder if the newer bands are trying to compete with each other in terms of 'loudness.'

PT, on the other hand, was perfect in terms of volume. Not too loud, and not too soft.

Times I've seen Porcupine Tree Live

Oct 10 2005 USA, Cincinnati: Bogart's
May 01 2010 CINCINNATI, USA: Bogart's
View Profile ripplesonthewaves MadeAgain1982 http://www.myspace.com/progrocker22   IP Logged
Lisa_Cooper91
I'll get me cloak!

member since 2007!
my profile info is a
LIE!

Reply #23 - 27. Nov 2009 at 18:31

coldplay + loud?
guess I missed something? Huh

keno
PTF God
I've Donated!

"Life's Too
Short, To Live The
Same Day Twice"

Reply #24 - 27. Nov 2009 at 21:19

Not at all....the louder the better!

Of course we must consider location and distortion.

"When the power of love over comes the love of power, the world will know peace"
Jimi Hendrix
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print