Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
26. Jul 2017 at 07:33
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Members' musical tastes profile (Read 2099 times)
bob_32_116
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I'll get me cloak!

Members' musical tastes profile
12. Oct 2009 at 14:43

Something I would find REALLY useful on this board is a way to quickly see what kind(s) of music a person is into, without having to rely on my powers of recall or trawl through their posts to find what they have said about various artists.

It's great that such a range of musical tastes is represented on this forum, but a problem with that is that everyone has a different definition of "awesome" when it comes to music. This would not be a problem on the Yes forum, or for that matter an AC/DC or a Nickelback forum.
Very often someone says something like "Band XXXX is fantastic", and it would be great to know that the person saying that (let's call them Member  Y), also thinks that Megadeth, AC/DC and Bon Jovi really kick anus, in which case I would be able to save myself the time and trouble and seeking out music by Band XXXX only to find that it's not my cup of listening enjoyment. On the other hand if Member Y also loves Gabriel-era Genesis, "core-era" Moody Blues, Tangerine Dream and Joni Mitchell, then it's a fair bet that Band XXXX will be worth my time.

Maybe the members' profiles could have an optional section added where the person could briefly state what kind(s) of music they like and what they don't like, with a few examples.

View Profile   IP Logged
parashizzle
Ex Member

Re: Members' musical tastes profile
Reply #1 - 14. Oct 2009 at 21:33

Ever heard of a website called Last.FM? The site has a program you can download onto your computer and then it registers whatever you listen to on your computer or iPod and updates your Last.FM account with that info instantly.  
If we could just add the links to our Last.FM account to our profile just like the MySpace accounts etc. You could see with just one mouseclick what another user listens to (on his/her computer/ipod).

IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #2 - 18. Oct 2009 at 13:50

Quote from parashizzle on 14. Oct 2009 at 21:33:
Ever heard of a website called Last.FM? The site has a program you can download onto your computer and then it registers whatever you listen to on your computer or iPod and updates your Last.FM account with that info instantly.
If we could just add the links to our Last.FM account to our profile just like the MySpace accounts etc. You could see with just one mouseclick what another user listens to (on his/her computer/ipod).

Thanks para, I know about last.fm, but I wasn't really thinking of that level of detail - not that it would hurt of course, but I was thinking more of just an optional plain-language text field where you could fill in your musical likes and dislikes.
A problem with a last.fm listing is, sure it would tell me what the person has been listening to, but if I am not familiar with the artist I am none the wiser as to the member's musical tastes.

View Profile   IP Logged
parashizzle
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 18. Oct 2009 at 21:20

Last.fm lets you listen to samples of tracks the artist or the label has uploaded. Sometimes even full songs. That might give you some idea of one's music taste. Tongue

And there are dozens of "tools" you can use with last.fm. One of which is a tag cloud. Just type in a username and you get a "cloud" of words the artists the user listens to are tagged with by other users.
In my case you'd get: alternative, grunge, 90's, experimental, industrial, progressive, hip-hop, rock, etcetera..
It's still kind of vague, though. But classifying music is a vague bussiness to begin with. most of the time

IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #4 - 19. Oct 2009 at 19:12

Quote from parashizzle on 18. Oct 2009 at 21:20:
Last.fm lets you listen to samples of tracks the artist or the label has uploaded. Sometimes even full songs. That might give you some idea of one's music taste. Tongue

And there are dozens of "tools" you can use with last.fm. One of which is a tag cloud. Just type in a username and you get a "cloud" of words the artists the user listens to are tagged with by other users.
In my case you'd get: alternative, grunge, 90's, experimental, industrial, progressive, hip-hop, rock, etcetera..
It's still kind of vague, though. But classifying music is a vague bussiness to begin with. most of the time

As I said, a link to lastfm certainly wouldn't hurt, though it wouldn't catch the info for people like myself who rarely download songs and do most of their listening away from the 'puter.

Over to you, Mr Admin. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Mac
I'll get me cloak!

Bass Communion cures
sickness. Seriously.

Reply #5 - 21. Oct 2009 at 19:05

Yeah, Last.fm wouldn't work for everyone and isn't too precise.  
I also listen to a lot of music I only have on vinyl, that doesn't go along on my list, and my tagcloud says that one of my bigger tags where melodic death metal, and I haven't quite listened to bands in that genre for years at least not a lot. And my musical taste has changed a lot since I got Last.fm (in 2006), and a lot of the metal bands I don't listen to anymore and such.

"The most beautiful sound next to silence"

'Tonbänder' now out on Mrsvee http://tinyurl.com/yjdxo9p
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hasselbalch
View Profile   IP Logged
Lisa_Cooper91
I'll get me cloak!

member since 2007!
my profile info is a
LIE!

Reply #6 - 22. Oct 2009 at 14:36

I actually think it's a good idea Smiley
Last.FM is nice, but it works sh*tty sometimes...

you got my vote Smiley

2009: met Alice Cooper
2010: met Alice and Richard Barbieri
Now these are the best years, truly the best years of my life
Email View Profile WWW Lisa_Cooper91 dejonglisa   IP Logged
mr. self-destruct
PTF Newbie

ach, laddie, 'ee's
got bats in the
belfry!

Reply #7 - 24. Oct 2009 at 06:27

Methinks it's a right fine idea!

»[÷Dhora·D'V·electronix÷]«
»[http://www.soundclick.com/blacktielaceration]«
»[http://www.soundclick.com/maxdecembre]«
Email View Profile WWW mr. self-destruct   IP Logged
parashizzle
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 26. Oct 2009 at 20:57

Quote from Mac on 21. Oct 2009 at 19:05:
my tagcloud says that one of my bigger tags where melodic death metal, and I haven't quite listened to bands in that genre for years at least not a lot. And my musical taste has changed a lot since I got Last.fm (in 2006), and a lot of the metal bands I don't listen to anymore and such.

You could reset your account or delete a couple of artists from your library.

IP Logged
clouds41
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #9 - 01. Dec 2009 at 02:10

Great idea!  

I use last.fm sometimes but I also do most of my listening through my stereo rather than my PC. Last.fm has directed me to some things I might never of heard otherwise, it's a neat tool.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mac
I'll get me cloak!

Bass Communion cures
sickness. Seriously.

Reply #10 - 02. Dec 2009 at 22:01

Quote from clouds41 on 01. Dec 2009 at 02:10:
Great idea!

I use last.fm sometimes but I also do most of my listening through my stereo rather than my PC. Last.fm has directed me to some things I might never of heard otherwise, it's a neat tool.

Exactly the same goes for me, used to listen to the "similar to this artist" radio and I'd usually end up with something that has nothing to do with the artist I started off at. Last.fm was the one that introduced me to The Resonance Association back in 2007, very grateful for that.

"The most beautiful sound next to silence"

'Tonbänder' now out on Mrsvee http://tinyurl.com/yjdxo9p
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hasselbalch
View Profile   IP Logged
bedarhasan
PTF Newbie

Reply #11 - 25. Feb 2011 at 23:05

Me and my two brothers all have our own PCs but we end up using each others a lot. The difference in our music preferences makes the last.fm's list inaccurate for all of us ...  

The plain Text box in the profile is a much better idea ..

Come to us
Lazarus
Its time
For you to go
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Padre
PTF Newbie

Reply #12 - 23. Mar 2011 at 17:13

Would love to see something like this!

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1