Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
26. Jul 2017 at 07:31
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Change of forum design? (Read 1893 times)
Mac
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I'll get me cloak!

Bass Communion cures
sickness. Seriously.

Change of forum design?
14. Sep 2009 at 14:24

First off, yes, I know there was another thread started some years ago basically about the same (or that was actually more about another colour), but I thought I'd bring it up again.
Not that it's such a big deal, but perhaps the forum design could use a change? change of colour, change of template, whatever. Not that the colour of the forum template should represent that of the most recent PT release, but I think it would be nice to get something updated, something blue perhaps? I made a quick photoshop of an idea, nothing too major, but you can perhaps get the idea:

Click for picture

Something like that. The frontcover photo is a bit too overused, yes, but I thought that would be the main photo to use for sources. Something else, a blend of some of the other photos would certainly be nice as well.

Another question is if it could even be done? If so, who can it be done by? The head admin I assume?

Edit: Is it possible to have custom icons? Custom icons for the post icons, button icons, whatever.

"The most beautiful sound next to silence"

'Tonbänder' now out on Mrsvee http://tinyurl.com/yjdxo9p
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hasselbalch
View Profile   IP Logged
Lisa_Cooper91
I'll get me cloak!

member since 2007!
my profile info is a
LIE!

Re: Change of forum design?
Reply #1 - 14. Sep 2009 at 14:25

now that would be nice Smiley awesome!
but I'd change the blue of the forum itself into a more grey-isher blue Smiley

2009: met Alice Cooper
2010: met Alice and Richard Barbieri
Now these are the best years, truly the best years of my life
Email View Profile WWW Lisa_Cooper91 dejonglisa   IP Logged
Ministry
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #2 - 14. Sep 2009 at 17:25

Nice idea.

I haven't used YaBB, but your colour changes look possible - dunno whether it's possible to use an image as wallpaper, though.

I'd prefer to see just the band name in the logo, not the album title, which could become dated rather quickly.  There may also be a need to keep the PTF visually distinct from P-Tree.com, stressing its unofficial status.

Not that I have a problem with the current look & feel - there's no need to change it just because there's a new album out!

http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/
Email View Profile WWW ministryofinfo   IP Logged
Scots Pine
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

The sly moves
sideways...

Reply #3 - 14. Sep 2009 at 21:22

Yeah, if it's not broke don't try and fix it.  Wink

TBH I like the red and grey...for me its synonymous with PTF Smiley

The new Apple gadget for women - The iRon...
View Profile Scots Pine scots_pine   IP Logged
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #4 - 15. Sep 2009 at 07:20

Quote from Ministry on 14. Sep 2009 at 17:25:
Not that I have a problem with the current look & feel - there's no need to change it just because there's a new album out!

I also like the way the PTF is and the look  Smiley

Anubian Lights - Naz Bar -Dreamstate In The Mainframe
Hawkwind - Alien 4
Amon Duul 2 - Phallus Dei
The Banana Splits: We're the Banana Splits-LP
Red Warszawa - Hævi Mætal og Hass
View Profile WWW myspace.com/signify2   IP Logged
HaRdT
PTF Junior

Ready to help
Reply #5 - 20. Sep 2009 at 06:20

Quote from Mac on 14. Sep 2009 at 14:24:
Another question is if it could even be done? If so, who can it be done by? The head admin I assume?

Edit: Is it possible to have custom icons? Custom icons for the post icons, button icons, whatever.

First of all I'd like to congratulate this forum. I could say it's one of the few civilized ones around the internet. I saw forums dying and/or turning into a madness of complete lips sealed thanks to facebook, myspace, orkut advent.

There seem to be some people suggesting new templates and I find it very interesting. I've always been a forum enthusiastic, being admin of some great ones (national range, ~4k active users). I have some experience with phpBB, yabb and invision.

Having said that, I'm putting myself available to help with custom icons/templates or wharever stuff the forum may need. I work at home, dealing with website development, it would be no problem to help the forum Smiley

twitter.com/indayal
Email View Profile WWW HaRdT   IP Logged
hmmph
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #6 - 21. Sep 2009 at 20:18

Nooo! Otherwise I won't be able to use the phrase PTF-shade of red anymore Grin

"I think they do it to pass the time, nothing more. But time is too large, it can't be filled up. Everything you plunge into it is stretched and disintegrates."
Email View Profile hmmph   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #7 - 05. Oct 2009 at 01:49

Quote from Mac on 14. Sep 2009 at 14:24:
First off, yes, I know there was another thread started some years ago basically about the same (or that was actually more about another colour), but I thought I'd bring it up again.
Not that it's such a big deal, but perhaps the forum design could use a change? change of colour, change of template, whatever. Not that the colour of the forum template should represent that of the most recent PT release, but I think it would be nice to get something updated, something blue perhaps? I made a quick photoshop of an idea, nothing too major, but you can perhaps get the idea:

Click for picture

Something like that. The frontcover photo is a bit too overused, yes, but I thought that would be the main photo to use for sources. Something else, a blend of some of the other photos would certainly be nice as well.

I really like that look! It's new but it is still close enough to the original that it feels the same.

I wouldn't mind a new look as long as not too much is changed.

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #8 - 09. Oct 2009 at 05:53

I do think the present colour scheme is dull, but other than that I don't have too many issues with the current look-and-feel. I do think it would be nice to have something band-related in the banner at the top though, such as a little portrait-ette of each band member.

A problem with having an image as the background behind the forum is: either it would have to be done as one large image, despite most of it being obscured by the forum rectangle, which would be wasteful and increase download time, or it would have to be split up into lots of little subimages around the border, which would be messy to implement, especially if the image is going to change from time to time.

View Profile   IP Logged
oʇoɥdɐuıʇıɹıds
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #9 - 09. Oct 2009 at 07:52

Quote from bob_32_116 on 09. Oct 2009 at 05:53:
I do think the present colour scheme is dull, but other than that I don't have too many issues with the current look-and-feel. I do think it would be nice to have something band-related in the banner at the top though, such as a little portrait-ette of each band member.

A problem with having an image as the background behind the forum is: either it would have to be done as one large image, despite most of it being obscured by the forum rectangle, which would be wasteful and increase download time, or it would have to be split up into lots of little subimages around the border, which would be messy to implement, especially if the image is going to change from time to time.

Not to mention the issue of everyone viewing the forum on different sized screens...if it were a titled image, it'd look great on anyone's screen, but if were a fixed size image, it might get cut off if the person is using a 1024x768 screen, and leave large expanses of blank space on a 30" widescreen monitor.

But if it's a tiled image, that'd save download time because you only have to download one tiny image.

View Profile WWW oʇoɥdɐuıʇıɹıds oʇoɥdɐuıʇıɹıds sticksandtunes msimponderable   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #10 - 01. Jan 2010 at 18:10

I just visited the Yes forum, where I have been inactive for some time, and it appears to have had a recent makeover.

While I may have mentioned in the past that the PTF could follow their lead in introducing a little bit of art and colour onto its screen, I would certainly NOT like this forum to be "organised" like the Yes forum. To me the latter seems messy and cluttered, people seem to be able to use images of whatever size they like in avatars and signatures, resulting in an excessive focus on form rather than content. I find myself being annoyed and distracted by reading what I think is a person's latest post, only to find it's part of their signaturre, or one of their goddamn ads (I know the ads pay the bills, but couldn't they be in strips down the side or something?). The Yes forum also has way too many sections, subsections and subsubsections, and I forget where I visited last time. While this forum is a bit like walking into a big living room with various conversations going on, the Yes forum is more like being dropped in the middle of a large unfamiliar city and not knowing where to find the club where your friends are. I don't think it's just because of my relative unfamiliarity with it, I think it has just become a victim of what software designers call "creeping elegance". It's a bit of a relief to come here and feel that I know where everything is.

No, tinker with the colour scheme and banner headings by all means, but keep the design simple. Just because you CAN program this whizz-bang effect doesn't mean you HAVE to - something that many software developers don't seem to learn.

View Profile   IP Logged
Limeycat
PTF God
I've Donated!

I am, I know

Reply #11 - 01. Jan 2010 at 18:27

I think the colour scheme is the one thing that makes this forum slightly less than perfect...  I love the red and the colours for the hierarchy of users, but the grey backgrounds are just too dark - IMO, there's not enough colour contrast to show up people's user names!

Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.  It's the best forum I've used, bar none.

View Profile   IP Logged
winterhillxx
PTF God
I've Donated!

What I am to you is
not real

Reply #12 - 03. Jan 2010 at 19:09

I wouldn't change anything, not keen on my blue user name though!! Much prefer the lime green. Wink

I know how to be lost in lust
not because you should, but because you must
it burns white hot, and so clouds the mind
this lightning strike is in no ways kind
View Profile   IP Logged
Ms. Mouse
PTF God

Jaffa Mouse!

Reply #13 - 05. Jan 2010 at 19:19

Quote from Limeycat on 01. Jan 2010 at 18:27:
I think the colour scheme is the one thing that makes this forum slightly less than perfect...  I love the red and the colours for the hierarchy of users, but the grey backgrounds are just too dark - IMO, there's not enough colour contrast to show up people's user names!

Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.  It's the best forum I've used, bar none.

Yeah, the biggest problem I have is not being able to read the usernames very clearly and having to squint to do so with certain colours (blue, purple).

Behind my eyes is a rage unknown.
But you don't understand, it was all home grown.
View Profile WWW kneelanddisconnect glacial1602 internationalpopstar87   IP Logged
Mrguy
PTF Senior

[Something clever or
witty]

Reply #14 - 08. May 2010 at 23:36

I don't mind the current theme, but I would be intersted in a new one.  

What I really want, though, is a mobile version of the site! I mainly visit via iPod and it would make it easier to navigate, read, download pages. And of course, I wouldn't waste all my Internet usage here Grin

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Reply #15 - 08. May 2010 at 23:43

Quote from Mrguy on 08. May 2010 at 23:36:
a mobile version of the site

x2!!!!!!!

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
Mrguy
PTF Senior

[Something clever or
witty]

Reply #16 - 08. May 2010 at 23:54

and I reckon we have enough members to make it worth while....

I'm sure someone here would code it for free, if am admin can't...

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print