Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
20. Aug 2017 at 04:59
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Poll
Question: Is this Forum ready for another "Evolution" thread?

Yes.  
  19 (52.7%)
no.  
  17 (47.2%)

Total votes: 36
« Last Modified by: on: 07. Apr 2009 at 12:30 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Any chance for Evolution? (Read 6095 times)
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Re: Any chance for Evolution?
Reply #25 - 18. Jul 2010 at 22:18

Quote from parashizzle on 18. Jul 2010 at 17:19:
Neither does creationism.

I don't disagree...

Quote from Roksoff on 18. Jul 2010 at 11:32:
yes it does.

Please explain?

Quote from Skeptic on 18. Jul 2010 at 18:03:
ts not meant to. It describes how live changes over time, not how it originated. That's like saying the problem with Special Relativity is that it doesn't describe why the speed of light is what it is.

I know that. I was just pointing out why creationists don't buy into it, seeing as they believe the earth has only been around for a few thousand years.  

View Profile signify2metanoia   IP Logged
Roksoff
PTF Full Member

Reply #26 - 19. Jul 2010 at 00:32

Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 18. Jul 2010 at 22:18:

Please explain?

http://library.thinkquest.org/26070/data/eng/2/1.html

The above link explains it way better than I ever could.
By working back through time using such clues as fossils and reliable carbon dating and DNA technology its possible for evolution scientists to trace what is likely to be the origins of life from a simple single cell form to the complex variety we see today with the exception of a few "missing links" as they are known.  
To be honest the question of the origins of life isnt strictly the work of evolution scientists but more the work of paleontologists or abiogenesis who encompass aspects of evolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

Hope the links help as some way of an explanation.

http://www.thecrossovernetwork.co.uk/forum/index.php
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #27 - 19. Jul 2010 at 00:51

That bit about the naturally occuring chemicals forming organic matter was interesting... If they were really able to do that in their experiments then that does seem to be a possibility...

But still, there is no explanation about the origin for these chemicals, or for any matter. All it says is that some "primal matter" existed in a vast emptiness, without any further explanation. How did these things come into being?

Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #28 - 19. Jul 2010 at 01:17

Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 19. Jul 2010 at 00:51:

But still, there is no explanation about the origin for these chemicals, or for any matter. All it says is that some "primal matter" existed in a vast emptiness, without any further explanation. How did these things come into being?

Actually, the standard Big Bang model describes how all the chemicals came to be quite well. Where the bang came from is another matter. I don't expect we will ever fully answer that question. Some people need to have an answer which I've never fully understood. I'm happy with 'I don't know' and am amazed by what we do know. It's enough to fill a lifetime of inquiry.

Email View Profile skeptycalone skeptycalone   IP Logged
MuzaKWaHFreaK
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #29 - 19. Jul 2010 at 01:29

Quote from Skeptic on 19. Jul 2010 at 01:17:
Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 19. Jul 2010 at 00:51:

Actually, the standard Big Bang model describes how all the chemicals came to be quite well. Where the bang came from is another matter. I don't expect we will ever fully answer that question. Some people need to have an answer which I've never fully understood. I'm happy with 'I don't know' and am amazed by what we do know. It's enough to fill a lifetime of inquiry.

Thats what I'm saying. We don't know where or why or how everything first originated. I'm content with not knowing as well. But I do understand others need for answers to these kind of questions.

Skeptic
PTF Full Member

Reply #30 - 19. Jul 2010 at 04:39

Quote from MuzaKWaHFreaK on 19. Jul 2010 at 01:29:

Thats what I'm saying. We don't know where or why or how everything first originated. I'm content with not knowing as well. But I do understand others need for answers to these kind of questions.

As do I, but the part I don't understand is believing in a non-answer. As Dawkins put it, God is just a bookmark for the answer "I don't know". God is just as much of an unknown (probably more) as the Universe.

Email View Profile skeptycalone skeptycalone   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print