Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
25. Jun 2017 at 14:51
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Poll
Question: Do you have an all-time favorite band?

Yes  
  86 (60.1%)
No  
  57 (39.8%)

Total votes: 143
« Created by: absent_wang on: 22. Jan 2009 at 21:01 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Do you have an "absolutely #1" favorite band? (Read 12302 times)
absent_wang
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Full Member

Do you have an "absolutely #1" favorite band?
22. Jan 2009 at 21:01

I used to be into having a #1 favorite band.  Then I realized that my tastes are always changing so much, and I can't really say what I'll be listening to 10 years from now.  I also found myself not giving other bands 100% of my attention if I thought I might enjoy their music more than my "favorite" band; by having a favorite band I was putting limitations on myself.    

I still have a list of favorite bands, sure, and they're exactly what they were a few months ago.  I just no longer have a #1 band.  I feel... light as feather, free, etc.  

Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Mac
I'll get me cloak!

Bass Communion cures
sickness. Seriously.

Re: Do you have an "absolutely #1" favorite band?
Reply #1 - 22. Jan 2009 at 21:50

Porcupine Tree's been my top-favorite band for quite some time now, but before that 'solid' period, it was a swinging between Opeth and Porcupine Tree. But now it's definitely PT.
I remember my very first 'favorite band' from when I was about 11 years old... Linkin Park Metasomething  Grin  Grin  Grin

"The most beautiful sound next to silence"

'Tonbänder' now out on Mrsvee http://tinyurl.com/yjdxo9p
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hasselbalch
View Profile   IP Logged
absent_wang
PTF Full Member

Reply #2 - 22. Jan 2009 at 22:35

Yeah, my "#1 of All-Time" bands ranged from Peter Gabriel, to Megadeth, to Dream Theater, then to Opeth.  

I've been listening to music since 1995, and my #1 band has changed so many times already.  After knowing how much growing I have to do, it just doesn't seem realistic to say that no band will ever top 'X band' for me.

Right now I'd say my favorite band is Opeth, but I can't say they'll always be my #1 anymore.  And that's not because of Watershed; I think that's one of their best albums, if not their best.  I just had a revelation that having a #1 band isn't helping me in any way.  

To clarify, I'm not trying to say that nobody should have a #1 band.  Just that for me, it would be self-destructing.  Others with different mindsets could have a #1 band and still feel free to enjoy and indulge in whatever new music they want.  For me and how my mind works, it just isn't a good way to look at things.

View Profile   IP Logged
Adent1
yhW?

[ghosts will come
and kiss our eyes]

Reply #3 - 22. Jan 2009 at 22:49

Not sure how to answer this yet - Steven Wilson is my favourite artist... Porcupine Tree definitely hold the position of favourite band for now but I've been listening to so much Omar Rodriguez-Lopez stuff and Godspeed You! Black Emperor side-projects and I think that's all genius too and that's without also mentioning Opeth (despite Watershed, in my case)!

I definitely have a group of favourite artists that I devote more time to than anything else, but then my tastes and moods shift enough that I could really feel like listening to any band.

View Profile   IP Logged
absent_wang
PTF Full Member

Reply #4 - 22. Jan 2009 at 22:59

Quote from Adent1 on 22. Jan 2009 at 22:49:
I definitely have a group of favourite artists that I devote more time to than anything else, but then my tastes and moods shift enough that I could really feel like listening to any band.

I have a group of favorites (no limits to my favorites list now, could be my favorite 20 or favorite 50) too.  I just don't deem any band as having the top spot now.  

Sorry if I'm repeating myself (I feel like I am).  I'm just in a weird state of mind right now.  Cheesy  

View Profile   IP Logged
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Reply #5 - 23. Jan 2009 at 00:39

Yes.  Echolyn!  Great guys and everything in their music that I like about music.  PT is a very very close second - but the echo-boys have been in my top spot for about 15 years.

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Reply #6 - 23. Jan 2009 at 05:17

No...I have a group of about 15 or so artists/bands that I would probably say I like equally, the most.

View Profile   IP Logged
4ctmam
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #7 - 23. Jan 2009 at 09:38

No.

View Profile wp____ www.myspace.com/lavenderpoland   IP Logged
Ministry
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #8 - 23. Jan 2009 at 13:30

No, though Marillion is probably the 'core' band to which I always return.

http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/
Email View Profile WWW ministryofinfo   IP Logged
Tree_Frog
yhW?

Reply #9 - 23. Jan 2009 at 14:38

Yes, and that is easily Pink Floyd.

Sure I love Tool, Radiohead, and Porcupine Tree but they will never topple The Pink Floyd Sound.

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #10 - 23. Jan 2009 at 18:06

It's interesting the way you phrase this, absent_wang...you seem to have decided that you are not going to have a No. 1 band, as a matter of policy. In my case I don't think of it as a decision on my part, I am reacting to the way in which music affects me, It's almost as if the band chooses me, rather than the other way round.

So yes, I do have a band whose music has impressed me more than any other. That band is Genesis. But only up to and including "...And Then There Were Three...". There are also times when I am simply not in the mood for Genesis, I want to listen to Debussy piano preludes, or to Bob Marley and the Wailers, or Bruce Springsteen, or Penguin Cafe Orchestra - and the number one spot is always up for grabs, I don't believe the fact that it is currently occupied by Genesis limits my listening in any way.

If we are also allowing solo artists, then Bob Lind, Joni Mitchell and Elton John would be strong contenders. Again, all of those artists have done some stuff that I can take or leave, but this is an overall assessment.

View Profile   IP Logged
absent_wang
PTF Full Member

Reply #11 - 23. Jan 2009 at 19:56

Quote from bob_32_116 on 23. Jan 2009 at 18:06:
It's interesting the way you phrase this, absent_wang...you seem to have decided that you are not going to have a No. 1 band, as a matter of policy. In my case I don't think of it as a decision on my part, I am reacting to the way in which music affects me, It's almost as if the band chooses me, rather than the other way round.

Well, I didn't choose favorite bands for reasons other than the music.  It wasn't a problem of being too bureaucratic, but of being too much of a fanboy when my mind became set.  If I discovered a new band or album and found myself enjoying it a lot, I'd sit back and think how that might come into conflict with my favorite band; if I thought this new band might give me more enjoyment than my favorite band, I'd find some reason to dismiss the new band and stop listening to their music.  

I have a deeply rooted trigger that goes off when MY favorite stuff is threatened by something that isn't mine.  This goes beyond music.  I'll find ways to dismiss clearly superior video game consoles, cars, etc.    

View Profile   IP Logged
Luppe
PTF God

Reply #12 - 23. Jan 2009 at 21:22

No. I like many bands in many different genres. FZ is not a band, and neither is SW (I love all of his projects).

'
View Profile   IP Logged
The Stupid Dreamer
PTF God
I've Donated!

Oh glorious
cheeseburger, we bow
to thee

Reply #13 - 24. Jan 2009 at 18:23

PT!  Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
absent_wang
PTF Full Member

Reply #14 - 24. Jan 2009 at 22:03

Quote from Luppe on 23. Jan 2009 at 21:22:
No. I like many bands in many different genres.

That doesn't really make having a #1 band problematic.  When I still had a #1 band, I liked pretty much every genre under the sun (and still do).  

View Profile   IP Logged
guru
PTF Full Member

Reply #15 - 26. Jan 2009 at 21:03

Mine went from Dire Straits, to Skunk Anansie, to Tool and Underworld. Since I discovered PT though, I no longer have a #1. Tool, PT, Oceansize and Pink Floyd would all be up there though

View Profile   IP Logged
Hawklords-Amon Duul 2
I'll get me cloak!

Stone Age Rock Is
Good - Xenomorph

Reply #16 - 26. Jan 2009 at 22:57

Porcupine Tree : is my # 1 band ..of all bands. they are the best.   Cool Wink Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  . before it was Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/Hawkwind/
Amon Duul 2. they are still my top bands.

« Last Edit: 28. Jan 2009 at 20:33 by Hawklords-Amon Duul 2 »  

Anubian Lights - Naz Bar -Dreamstate In The Mainframe
Hawkwind - Alien 4
Amon Duul 2 - Phallus Dei
The Banana Splits: We're the Banana Splits-LP
Red Warszawa - Hævi Mætal og Hass
View Profile WWW myspace.com/signify2   IP Logged
saturninebear
I'll get me cloak!

Grrr

Reply #17 - 26. Jan 2009 at 23:19

As it would be heresy to say otherwise after 30 years of total devotion... I have to say Rush. They are gods to me and their music has seen me through most of my life. Though, it has to be said that for 2008.... PT and No-man were my most listened to by a mile.  

And Zappa is not a band per se, as Luppe said.

Big Tim and Steven fan. Friendly and approachable. So come say hello.
Email View Profile saturninebear saturninebear   IP Logged
BuyingNewSoul
PTF Junior

Reply #18 - 27. Jan 2009 at 15:58

Well, my first favorite band (i.e., band I bought EVERYTHING from) was the Moody Blues.

I got into them around age 13 or 14, and from that point up through college sought to own EVERY album they released ... even rarities.

While I am not fervant about them anymore (not like I was), they do remain close to my heart, and one of my favorite bands of all time (unwaivering).  There is just not much by them that I do not already own (some in multiple formats)...

I mention them because they were MY first favorite band, and no one forgets their first (generally speaking).

Email View Profile   IP Logged
matthew_a
PTF God

Reply #19 - 01. Feb 2009 at 16:25

My favorite artist varies by anywhere form a few months to a few days. Right now I've been listening to Insurgentes alot, so SW would probably be my current favorite, but a few weeks ago I discovered Sigur Ros, and they were definitely all I was listening to then. So it always varies, I'm constantly looking for new music.

View Profile WWW http://www.myspace.com/schwebemusic   IP Logged
Hawklord
PTF God
I've Donated!

Space is the place
for the human race

Reply #20 - 08. Feb 2009 at 15:34

I can't Really answer this question as I have been listening to music since the early 60's and there just has been a lot of great music put out by a lot of great people.

Now saying that There are certain artist who I have multiple albums by as I love their music and their vision Cool

Born to Raise hell. and enjoy every minute of it

Hawklord

View Profile   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #21 - 09. Feb 2009 at 02:40

Nope. Can commit to "absolute" # 1. That concept doesn't apply in my music taste vocabulary.
In all my years of listening music I had different favorites bands.

Though PT is the #1 band regarding amount of $$$$$ spent.  Huh  

« Last Edit: 10. Feb 2009 at 03:22 by brian_sever34 »  

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
Jonzo
yhW?

I lyk da porkupine
chree, espeshally da
trayns wan

Reply #22 - 10. Feb 2009 at 23:57

Muse are for me I think.

Well...according to my Last FM I've listened to them 1000 times more than anybody else. PT down in the at the moment.  

Some bands are just special I guess.

View Profile   IP Logged
Welshlass
PTF Junior

Jump on my pressure
pill?

Reply #23 - 13. Feb 2009 at 12:32

I don't know. Muse are/were for me, but I listen to a lot of great music so it's hard.

I have Muse to thank for steering me well clear of rubbish chart music though, and for introducing me to Porcupine TreeSmiley

View Profile   IP Logged
sideline
PTF Senior

Reply #24 - 20. Feb 2009 at 08:59

No. I do have favorite types of bands such as good prog bands, classical music, some heavy metal bands (Opeth tops the list)  people who have worked with Fripp and good blues.

I love bands that have supreme musicians,, amazing production, great lyrics and a fantastic lead singer. This of course includes SW.

U.S. economic theory is based on one simple premise:

Wealth management through debt. Wink
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print