Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
26. Jun 2017 at 14:46
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Membership approvals? (Read 1192 times)
Ministry
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Membership approvals?
10. Sep 2008 at 12:24

I don't know YaBB's capabilities and can't check the current PTF arrangement without attempting to create a fake account, but if it's not done already, would it be possible to set up a more rigorous approvals procedure for new members?

In one group with which I'm involved, a moderator needs to see each membership application before the member even has read-access to the group.  That seems a bit extreme.
In another group, anyone can join (unless banned), but the new member's first posting goes to a moderator for approval before being sent to the group as a whole.  That totally eliminates 'drive-by' spammers, and the likelihood of someone posting an on-topic message to get approval then subsequently spamming is limited.

http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/
Email View Profile WWW ministryofinfo   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Re: Membership approvals?
Reply #1 - 10. Sep 2008 at 15:51

I'm one of the moderators of a group I belong to, and the second method you describe is used there and seems to work well. That site uses vBulletin software. It does mean the moderators have to check every day for quarantined first messages from members who have just joined, to approve them.

I certainly don't like the idea of outsiders not being able to read the posts - how are they to know whether it's the sort of board they want to join unless they can read existing posts? Moreover, they can't spam or do any other damage until they can make their own posts. The only reason I can think of is if it was some - ahem - "naughty" site where you didn't want the world to read your posts and deduce that it was you. I can't see that applying to a music forum.

View Profile   IP Logged
NightCreeper
PTF God

do work

Reply #2 - 12. Sep 2008 at 22:39

I tried joining a forum once where you sign up and you have to wait anywhere from 24-48 hours or more just to be able to read the forums, it is a pain in the ass; and you don't always get in because they may miss you or something. Are we in a private club or something? Why limit who joins and who doesn't, share the love of PT. I think a approval method is stupid and not necessary. This forum is small compared to the other larger forums I belong to, and those forums do not have the approval method in place and they do just fine. You may get a spammer or bot account every now and then....well just delete them, it's that simple. The forum is fine the way it is.

View Profile   IP Logged
VaporTrail
I'll get me cloak!

Chester

Reply #3 - 14. Sep 2008 at 15:18

Quote from NightCreeper on 12. Sep 2008 at 22:39:
You may get a spammer or bot account every now and then...

not sure about that...my girlfriend runs a much smaller forum than this and she gets over 100 spam accounts a day, forcing her to really tighten up member approval.  I think the way this forum works is fine, there's relatively little spam that gets through and the approval process takes all of 30 seconds to check your email.

http://www.orphidice.com http://www.mrsvee.co.uk
Email View Profile WWW VaporTrail vaportrailx1 orphidice   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #4 - 29. Mar 2009 at 19:58

Quote from NightCreeper on 12. Sep 2008 at 22:39:
You may get a spammer or bot account every now and then....well just delete them, it's that simple. The forum is fine the way it is.

Ummm... well, I would have said that the person with the task of identifying and deleting the spam is the one qualified to say whether it's simple or not. Remember that the moderators have a life to live as well as running the board; they also have to sleep occasionally, they can't watch the board 24 hours a day. Also, while deleting one spam post is quick and easy, deleting dozens gets tiresome, deleting hundreds is a major chore. When I join a board I expect to go through a registration and approval process; I don't expect to discover the site, register and then one second later make posts that will be seen by every member of the board. I am happy to have the small inconvenience of going through a registration approval process, in return for then being part of a site where I am not distracted by spam.

I also think that having to put a little effort into registering is not a bad thing. If you take a look at the list of members, sorted by total number of posts, by far the most common number of posts is zero. As far as I am concerned those members are a waste of space in the database. I'm not suggesting people should be FORCED to post something in order to join, but if someone is never intending to post, this might stop people frivolously joining. They would instead just remain a non-member and read other people's posts - which they can do.

View Profile   IP Logged
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Reply #5 - 30. Mar 2009 at 01:27

You do have to register to read the posts. Some people just like to lurk and that is fine.

I think there is also a process that if you haven't posted at all and haven't signed in for a while then the account may be deactivated.

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print