Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
27. Jun 2017 at 13:20
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gotye (Read 6654 times)
SoundscapeMN
PTF God

Re: Gotye
Reply #25 - 30. Aug 2011 at 17:33

yeah, I'm checking out Kimbra's record out now, really good and rather catchy at times.

Email View Profile WWW SoundscapeMN angra_651 MNProgDude   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #26 - 01. Sep 2011 at 13:54

Cool, will check it out.

People also in case you didnt know, another amazing Aus band Karnivool cover 'The Only Way' and it friggin rocks, check it out!!

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #27 - 01. Sep 2011 at 14:18

I've listened to couple of her songs, they're pretty good! I haven't been able to check the rest of the album out, but I will when the opportunity comes.

http://www.last.fm/user/Zoyns
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #28 - 01. Sep 2011 at 15:30

I'm not getting overwhelmed by either Gotye or Kimbra, both of whom are getting featured a lot on Triple-J. I am pleased to see the single at No. 1 on the singles chart, not because I am totally in love with the song but because it's a decent song at the top of a list that is, almost unremittingly, crap.  

The other nice thing about it is that this song seems to have been taken up by radio stations of all persuasion, including even the teenybopper stations. When you are forced to listen to the latter at the gym for an hour or so, you really appreciate it when they play something half-decent.

« Last Edit: 02. Sep 2011 at 05:47 by bob_32_116 »  
View Profile   IP Logged
SoundscapeMN
PTF God

Reply #29 - 01. Sep 2011 at 20:00

I'm of the feeling Kimbra's record Vows is a bit better than Making Mirrors. really great passion in her vocal lines, and the layering works rather well.

Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #30 - 26. Jan 2012 at 22:56

As expected, 'Somebody that I use to know' (featuring Kimbra) came in at No 1 in Australia's Triple J Hottest 100 countdown for 2011.

The list was pretty 'meh' generally for me overall, however I was a bit out of the loop with "triple j music" last year. Didnt listen to it as much as usual.

Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #31 - 26. Jan 2012 at 22:58

here is the list of the top 100

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_J_Hottest_100,_2011

SoundscapeMN
PTF God

Reply #32 - 27. Jan 2012 at 17:37

just in Australia, there's no love on Triple J for the instrumental acts like Tangled Thoughts of Leaving or Meniscus. At least Kimbra is on there a few times.

bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #33 - 28. Jan 2012 at 13:15

Quote from Porcupine Field on 26. Jan 2012 at 22:58:

The song by Gotye and Kimbra was a no-brainer for No. 1, really. Not only was it massively popular, but it also seemed to bridge the divide between different listening demographics, as I noted earlier. A song that gets airplay on teen-oriented pop stations, adult-oriented rock stations, and Triple-J is a rarity.

Triple-J do fill an important role in playing a lot of music that doesn't get aired anywhere else. Given that, I'm surprised they don't pick up on bands like Porcupine Tree and Opeth. What shits me most about Triple-J is their ageist attitude - as applied to the age of songs, not of artists or listeners. They have "Flavour of the Month" - to a lesser extent flavour of the year - then it's tossed aside and forgotten. In twelve months' time you won't hear "Somebody That I Used To Know" on Triple-J at all, not even occasionally.

View Profile   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #34 - 30. Jan 2012 at 00:32

I dont want to hear somebody that i use to know in 12 months on JJJ though. Thats what I like about it.
I think its a good thing in many ways, that it only plays the current music. Unfortunately the down side of this is as you say - a very flavour of the month mentality when it comes to albums of the year lists and albums of all time lists etc.

Porcupine Tree unfortunatley has only been played on the 'racket' segment - the Heavy metal section. Actually i think on a very odd occassion they have been played elsewhere, but the heavy metal show is for 3 hours a week, so PT dont get much exposure. However Opeth get played almost every week on that segment.

The old host Andrew Haug loves Opeth!

Yeah very predicatble No 1. I was out at a dance floor of a city bar/pub a few weeks ago and when it came on the whole crowd was singing along, and it was like the 'Khe Sanh' for the new generation.

For those of you not in the know 'Khe Sang' is an iconic australian song by Cold Chisel. I was never a huge fan.

Mathias_D
PTF Senior

Reply #35 - 30. Jan 2012 at 13:33

I bought "Like Drawing Blood" after sampling the first few tracks. I love the first half of this album but the last few tracks did nothing for me.

To err is human. To arr is pirate.
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #36 - 30. Jan 2012 at 22:35

^^^ 'Night Drive' is one of my favs off that album. I think its the second last song, nice tune. Making Mirrors IMO is a stronger album.

Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #37 - 31. Jan 2012 at 06:39

Night Drive is amazing! And the last tune is heartbreaking. Though there are one or two tracks that I don't think are quite on par with the rest of the album.

http://www.last.fm/user/Zoyns
SoundscapeMN
PTF God

Reply #38 - 31. Jan 2012 at 17:42

Kimbra is opening for him on his upcoming US Tour. Too bad a lot of the shows have been sold-out for weeks, primarily due to greedy scumbag scalpers.

http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2012/01/kimbra-supporting-gotye-this-spring- in.html

Ryan.W
PTF Newbie

Reply #39 - 31. Jan 2012 at 20:33

I remember hearing "Somebody I Used to Know" back when the YouTube video had like 5-10K views. Haha.  

This guy is amazing. So is Kimbra.

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #40 - 14. Feb 2012 at 18:01

"Somebody that I Used To Know" is No. 1 in the UK this week!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print