Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
29. Jun 2017 at 11:46
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gotye (Read 6666 times)
sifter
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF Newbie

Gotye
08. Sep 2008 at 21:07

Just wondering if anyone here has listened to 'Gotye'?  
Australian guy that has a couple of solo albums and mixes his styles alot. Some of his stuff has a similarity to Radiohead (great melodies) and DJ Shadow (Nice drum patterns/sounds) but difficult to make a direct comparison with anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hEMDeXdap4

View Profile   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Re: Gotye
Reply #1 - 09. Sep 2008 at 03:26

Quote from sifter on 08. Sep 2008 at 21:07:
Just wondering if anyone here has listened to 'Gotye'?
Australian guy that has a couple of solo albums and mixes his styles alot. Some of his stuff has a similarity to Radiohead (great melodies) and DJ Shadow (Nice drum patterns/sounds) but difficult to make a direct comparison with anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hEMDeXdap4

yeah, i have his album, its pretty cool!

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Relative
PTF Newbie

Reply #2 - 10. Sep 2008 at 13:25

This guy is fantastic, Like Drawing Blood is a great album.

MadTinus
yhW?

Reply #3 - 13. Oct 2008 at 15:43

Quote from Relative on 10. Sep 2008 at 13:25:
This guy is fantastic, Like Drawing Blood is a great album.

I wish to concur! I have been COMPLETELY addicted to his albums the past week, both "Boardface" and "Like Drawing Blood" are utterly fantastic!

"Boardface" has only been released in Australia, but you can order it very cheaply via www.gotye.com > shop. "Like Drawing Blood" has just been released in Europe. They have dropped "A Distinctive Sound" from the original tracklist and replaced it with a remixed version of "The Only Thing I Know" (from "Boardface"). However, if you want your CD to include "A Distinctive Sound" you can order the original Australian release from the webite as well.

I ordered both albums together for just 22 including postage from Australia to the Netherlands!

Listen to this, you won't regret it!

www.myspace.com/gotye

View Profile WWW MadTinus madtinus   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #4 - 13. Oct 2008 at 23:03

I ordered "like drawing blood" last week, after hearing "coming back" repeatedly as background music to a (pretty lame) tv show about a vampire private detective. Has a really cool retor sound, can;t wait to hear the rest of the album.

View Profile   IP Logged
MadTinus
yhW?

Reply #5 - 14. Oct 2008 at 17:26

Quote from TAKO on 13. Oct 2008 at 23:03:
I ordered "like drawing blood" last week, after hearing "coming back" repeatedly as background music to a (pretty lame) tv show about a vampire private detective. Has a really cool retor sound, can;t wait to hear the rest of the album.

You can hear several more songs from the album on MySpace and YouTube in case you can't wait Smiley

It's soooooooo awesome! You won't believe the variation! Smiley

Ace
PTF Senior

Reply #6 - 14. Oct 2008 at 23:37

Just gave Like Drawing Blood a listen.... I effin' LOVE it!

View Profile Ace Ace900809   IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #7 - 18. Oct 2008 at 13:25

For anyone remotley interested in vinyl: The (Dutch?) vinyl version of "Like drawing blood" has a the cd version packed inside for free!
Just received it, was a nice surprise Smiley

« Last Edit: 19. Oct 2008 at 13:01 by TAKO »  
View Profile   IP Logged
MadTinus
yhW?

Reply #8 - 21. Oct 2008 at 22:41

Quote from TAKO on 18. Oct 2008 at 13:25:
For anyone remotley interested in vinyl: The (Dutch?) vinyl version of "Like drawing blood" has a the cd version packed inside for free!

Dang, I already have the Euro CD and the Australian on the way undecided Wish I knew that earlier.

The Analog Kid
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 21. Oct 2008 at 22:47

sure it isnt a packaging error?  Wink

IP Logged
TAKO
PTF Senior

Reply #10 - 21. Oct 2008 at 23:22

Quote from The Analog Kid on 21. Oct 2008 at 22:47:

sure it isnt a packaging error? Wink

lol, no, it has a huge "free full cd version inside" sticker on the slipcase.

View Profile   IP Logged
SoundscapeMN
PTF God

Reply #11 - 20. Aug 2011 at 19:56

bump.

I have just recently gotten into him and "Like Drawing Blood."

But maybe the best thing I've heard from is this new single "Somebody I Used To Know" off his new album "Making Mirrors" which just came out yesterday (8/19) in Australia.

Want to hear one of the best songs from 2011? give this song a go, and you may agree and also become addicted like myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

Email View Profile WWW SoundscapeMN angra_651 MNProgDude   IP Logged
Domme Zebra
PTF God

Reply #12 - 20. Aug 2011 at 21:29

Quote from SoundscapeMN on 20. Aug 2011 at 19:56:
bump.

I have just recently gotten into him and "Like Drawing Blood."

But maybe the best thing I've heard from is this new single "Somebody I Used To Know" off his new album "Making Mirrors" which just came out yesterday (8/19) in Australia.

Want to hear one of the best songs from 2011? give this song a go, and you may agree and also become addicted like myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

Absolutely. They've been playing this song on Belgian radio every day but i'm not even starting to get sick of it (as I do with most song which get that much airtime)
Great song, great artist!

Email View Profile WWW jellemarechal   IP Logged
Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #13 - 20. Aug 2011 at 22:11

I've listened to that song couple times before, I think this was the fourth or fifth time I heard it. At first I was pretty indifferent about it, but it has grown on me with every listen. This time I really liked it, I have to check out the new album. The chorus of this song gives me some serious Peter Gabriel vibes!

EDIT: I went to sleep after this post and what's the first thing in my mind when I woke up? This song. Damn!  Cheesy

« Last Edit: 21. Aug 2011 at 07:41 by Zoyns »  

http://www.last.fm/user/Zoyns
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #14 - 21. Aug 2011 at 11:49

"Somebody I Used To Know" is getting heavy airplay here. Interestingly, it's getting played by both the mainstream rock stations and by stations such as Triple-J, who tend to play stuff considered more avant-garde, or "underground". It's rare for the two playlists to overlap.

(Amazingly, the song came on the air just now as I was typing this!)

I quite like the song, I certainly don't turn it off when it starts playing, but it does not blow me away to the extent that I feel I MUST own a copy.

Gotye's earlier album, Like Drawing Blood, was voted by Triple-J listeners as No. 11 in the list of top 100 Australian albums.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100/alltime/11/countdown/all.htm

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #15 - 21. Aug 2011 at 17:21

I wonder if some people have shied away from this thread, not being familiar with the name of this artist and assuming that it was a spam post advertising some new male impotence drug?  Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #16 - 22. Aug 2011 at 05:56

Quote from bob_32_116 on 21. Aug 2011 at 17:21:
I wonder if some people have shied away from this thread, not being familiar with the name of this artist and assuming that it was a spam post advertising some new male impotence drug? Grin

I don't know, I think Gotye sounds more like a name for a black metal band, that might be a turn-off for many.  Cheesy

Degolas
PTF Full Member

Reply #17 - 22. Aug 2011 at 11:49

I checked out Like Drawing Blood. It's good, but gets a little... indulgent half way through. Maybe it needs a few more listens.

Zoyns
PTF God

Reply #18 - 23. Aug 2011 at 19:37

After only one listen, I'd say that Making Mirrors is pretty sweet album. Not album of the year material, but still quite strong. I'll be listening more to this! I'll listen to Like Drawing Blood after I've had some time with Making Mirrors first.

navigator
yhW?

Reply #19 - 23. Aug 2011 at 20:29

Quote from bob_32_116 on 21. Aug 2011 at 11:49:
"Somebody I Used To Know" is getting heavy airplay here. Interestingly, it's getting played by both the mainstream rock stations and by stations such as Triple-J, who tend to play stuff considered more avant-garde, or "underground". It's rare for the two playlists to overlap.

(Amazingly, the song came on the air just now as I was typing this!)

I quite like the song, I certainly don't turn it off when it starts playing, but it does not blow me away to the extent that I feel I MUST own a copy.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100/alltime/11/countdown/all.htm

I'm already addicted to this song! I absolutely love it! Thanks for posting!

nav

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Third Eye Surfer
PTF Senior

Reply #20 - 23. Aug 2011 at 22:34

I quite like the single, but not much else on the album.

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #21 - 26. Aug 2011 at 17:16

I noticed something very odd on this week's ARIA albums chart:

Gotye's album is up from 22 to 13 - its highest position so far.

That's his previous album, Like Drawing Blood. The new one, Making Mirrors, does not appear.

I'm not sure what this means. One possibility is that the later album has only just been released and hasn't had time to make the charts, but the strength of the single has fired local interest in the artist and his previous album. If that's the case, I expect Making Mirrors to debut very high on the chart next week - possibly at No. 1.

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #22 - 28. Aug 2011 at 11:49

Quote from bob_32_116 on 26. Aug 2011 at 17:16:
I noticed something very odd on this week's ARIA albums chart:

Gotye's album is up from 22 to 13 - its highest position so far.

That's his previous album, Like Drawing Blood. The new one, Making Mirrors, does not appear.

I'm not sure what this means. One possibility is that the later album has only just been released and hasn't had time to make the charts, but the strength of the single has fired local interest in the artist and his previous album. If that's the case, I expect Making Mirrors to debut very high on the chart next week - possibly at No. 1.

As predicted: Making Mirrors debuts on the ARIA charts today at No. 1.  Cheesy

View Profile   IP Logged
Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #23 - 30. Aug 2011 at 14:20

I really like the new album.....

Like Drawing Blood has some killer tunes too, I must say though its no 11 position on the Aus albums of all time poll by radio station triple J was just one of many examples for me of how that whole list was way too flavour of the month  Angry

Porcupine Field
PTF Senior

Reply #24 - 30. Aug 2011 at 14:21

Kimbra's new album 'Vows' is just coming out now too - she is the female vocalist on 'ba ba black shee...I mean 'Sombody that I use to know'  Wink hehe

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print