Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
21. Aug 2017 at 16:48
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Viewing poll progress/results without voting (Read 1013 times)
bob_32_116
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I'll get me cloak!

Viewing poll progress/results without voting
05. Mar 2008 at 15:47

A real source of frustration for me is that, being very much a PTF newbie, I cannot really cast a vote in a poll like Lightbulb Sun vs Stupid Dream, having heard all of neither. That means I don't get to see the voting progress, unless the person who created the poll has been cluey enough to include a "Can't decide for whatever reason" option. I'd really like to see the votes at a glance, they could be very useful to me if I am trying to decide which of two fairly similar albums to order.

Could there be a poll creation option to "make votes visible to non-voters"?

An even better solution would be for the software to automatically insert a "Cannot or do not wish to vote" option. That would overcome the potential problem of tactical voting, i.e. someone sees other people's votes and then votes not for the  option they like best, but for the one they like that is in the lead, or nearly so, and may have a chance of winning.

View Profile   IP Logged
albdron
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

I'm the Problem!

Re: Viewing poll progress/results without voting
Reply #1 - 05. Mar 2008 at 15:54

Quote from bob_32_116 on 05. Mar 2008 at 15:47:
I'd really like to see the votes at a glance, they could be very useful to me if I am trying to decide which of two fairly similar albums to order.

With PT that's easy, you should order them all!  Wink

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell
View Profile   IP Logged
Ministry
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #2 - 05. Mar 2008 at 17:02

Quote from bob_32_116 on 05. Mar 2008 at 15:47:
An even better solution would be for the software to automatically insert a "Cannot or do not wish to vote" option. That would overcome the potential problem of tactical voting

Aha!  That addresses my only concern about the idea. Wink

http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/
Email View Profile WWW ministryofinfo   IP Logged
PTF Admin
PTF Administrator

I'm in command!! :-)

Reply #3 - 05. Mar 2008 at 19:29

PTF 2.0, the new major upgrade to the forum due to be online in a few months, will bring some improvements to the poll system. One of these is that the creator of each poll will be required to select one of the following options:  

Show the poll's results to anyone.
Only show the results after someone has voted.
Only show the results after the poll has expired.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
bob_32_116
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #4 - 06. Mar 2008 at 04:36

Quote from PTF Admin on 05. Mar 2008 at 19:29:
PTF 2.0, the new major upgrade to the forum due to be online in a few months, will bring some improvements to the poll system. One of these is that the creator of each poll will be required to select one of the following options:

Show the poll's results to anyone.
Only show the results after someone has voted.
Only show the results after the poll has expired.

That sounds good. In many cases the best option would be to have the results visible only after it closes, and close it after say 3 or weeks, giving active members plenty of time to cast their vote.

There are some polls that are best left open indefinitely, and I still think that it would be good to have the option to say "Don't wish to vote" and see the current results. Perhaps pollsters could consider making a habit of including such an option on poll creation.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print