Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
23. Jun 2017 at 06:09
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Section for more serious discussions? (Read 3051 times)
Domme Zebra
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF God

Section for more serious discussions?
21. Feb 2008 at 16:58

How about a section on the forum for more political and news orientated discussions? Those kind of topics seem out of place on "general chat".    

Email View Profile WWW jellemarechal   IP Logged
ProgFron
PTF God

Re: Section for more serious discussions?
Reply #1 - 21. Feb 2008 at 17:14

Seems like a good idea to me. Smiley

Email View Profile ProgFron   IP Logged
SelfMedicating
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Can you please
release me?

Reply #2 - 22. Feb 2008 at 02:56

You can give it a shot, but saying Thread X is for serious posts only may invite that which you are trying to avoid.  It's not like we can give member profiles a "serious" rating.  That would go over even worse than the Reputation feature.

<O>

"The President can say we're a country at war all he wants. We're not. The military is at war. And the military families are at war. Everybody else is shopping, or watching American Idol."
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Simon
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - 22. Feb 2008 at 20:55

Personally I'd rather politics was kept out of this place as it seems to cause nothing but trouble.

Simon

Carbon Nation - The Independent Porcupine Tree magazine. CN10 out now! www.carbon-nation.co.uk
View Profile WWW carbon_nation   IP Logged
PTF God

Reply #4 - 23. Feb 2008 at 09:24

Absolutely! - politics, religion and music, the three most contentious topics in the world?

View Profile   IP Logged
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #5 - 23. Feb 2008 at 13:46

Quote from Simon on 22. Feb 2008 at 20:55:
Personally I'd rather politics was kept out of this place as it seems to cause nothing but trouble.

I can understand that Simon. In another board I am in we started a political thread on the previous US elections. It turned quite nasty and ended with a few bannings even, go figure  undecided

View Profile   IP Logged
Domme Zebra
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF God

Reply #6 - 23. Feb 2008 at 22:33

Quote from voyage72 on 23. Feb 2008 at 13:46:
Quote from Simon on 22. Feb 2008 at 20:55:

I can understand that Simon. In another board I am in we started a political thread on the previous US elections. It turned quite nasty and ended with a few bannings even, go figure undecided

hmm maybe you're right...  sad though, that things like that lead to bannings etc.

Email View Profile WWW jellemarechal   IP Logged
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #7 - 23. Feb 2008 at 22:39

Quote from Domme Zebra on 23. Feb 2008 at 22:33:
hmm maybe you're right... sad though, that things like that lead to bannings etc.

It just got very weird since a guy started to call us European communists, specially a Finnish friend and I. He said we sure read Pravda, which was really amusing!  Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
MorbidStalker
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #8 - 24. Feb 2008 at 12:47

Just take the "Evolution" thread in the other polls section: it's like the most serious thing I've ever read on the PTF and yet, it makes people want to slit each other's throats. Or rather, a certain individual's.  Grin

Email View Profile WWW MorbidStalker silent_nightdrifter   IP Logged
april
PTF God

Reply #9 - 24. Feb 2008 at 22:30

still, it might be more interesting than the inevitable "which song do you like best" polls.
what's wrong with controversy? if you're lucky, it helps open your mind! and it's not like we're literally at each other's throats.

View Profile   IP Logged
MorbidStalker
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

Reply #10 - 25. Feb 2008 at 01:29

Quote from april on 24. Feb 2008 at 22:30:
still, it might be more interesting than the inevitable "which song do you like best" polls.
what's wrong with controversy? if you're lucky, it helps open your mind! and it's not like we're literally at each other's throats.

It's actually virtually like that, yes. Have you been in that thread? Yes, I agree that there's quite a few pages there, but you really ought to have a look. Consolation prize: since it all "begins" at page 4, you are spared the first three.  Grin

Email View Profile WWW MorbidStalker silent_nightdrifter   IP Logged
april
PTF God

Reply #11 - 25. Feb 2008 at 11:04

Quote from MorbidStalker on 25. Feb 2008 at 01:29:

It's actually virtually like that, yes. Have you been in that thread? Yes, I agree that there's quite a few pages there, but you really ought to have a look. Consolation prize: since it all "begins" at page 4, you are spared the first three. Grin

yes, i did work my way through that thread, or at least parts of it, and i found it interesting to actually see what some people believe. you don't get that far with the usual "name your favourite album opener" threads.  

of course i realize some people got a tad heated up, i'll grant you that. still, what 's wrong with controversy as long as everyone plays by the rules? if, say, a person believes that evolution was never really on but god created the world from scratch, then i most definitely don't agree, but that is no reason to berate him, or make snide and offensive remarks. if everyone sticks to the forum etiquette, no topic ever needs to be excluded per se - my 2 cents. and, @ simon: excluding certain topics for sheer panic of disharmony will eventually dull a forum!  

View Profile   IP Logged
PTF God

Reply #12 - 25. Feb 2008 at 22:38

Quote from april on 25. Feb 2008 at 11:04:
excluding certain topics for sheer panic of disharmony will eventually dull a forum!

A good point, well put!

View Profile   IP Logged
Ministry
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #13 - 26. Feb 2008 at 10:50

Quote from april on 25. Feb 2008 at 11:04:
excluding certain topics for sheer panic of disharmony will eventually dull a forum!

Maybe, but this is primarily a P-Tree (and related artists) forum - I'd be more than happy for contentious and entirely unrelated topics to be excluded.  If people want to talk politics, for example, there are political websites elsewhere.
I'm certainly not saying all off-topic discussions should be banned, but certain topics are just going to cause arguments, and bad feeling generated there could too-easily spill over into on-topic threads.
I just don't think that's worth it, unless they're topics directly related to the main purpose of the forum.  A blazing argument about SW's toenails is one thing, but a row about evolution is unnecessary and avoidable in a P-Tree forum.

http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/
Email View Profile WWW ministryofinfo   IP Logged
DrGoon
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

perfectly
uncalled for

Reply #14 - 27. Feb 2008 at 23:09

We already have a general forum whether other unrelated non-music discussions that don't break the rules are encouraged. I think its wise to avoid politics and religion for the most part, because its very easy when discussing such things for people to slip into breaking Rule 2. At the end of the day, you have to side with Simon though, because he's the poor bugger that has to police the community and he's doing this for free in his spare time.  

Besides, when I can live in my little fantasy world where you all have the same priorities and motivations in life as I do, I'm more inclined to imagine that all Porcupine Tree fans are wonderful people that will one day make a better world for us all.

I was born in '66, the year of Pet Sounds, and Sunshine Superman
View Profile   IP Logged
Et in Arcadia Ego
PTF God

Les fleurs du mal

Reply #15 - 28. Feb 2008 at 09:14

Quote from voyage72 on 23. Feb 2008 at 22:39:
Quote from Domme Zebra on 23. Feb 2008 at 22:33:
hmm maybe you're right... sad though, that things like that lead to bannings etc.

It just got very weird since a guy started to call us European communists, specially a Finnish friend and I. He said we sure read Pravda, which was really amusing! Grin

Heheh, the American fear and paranoia of communism is something you can always, always count on.  Grin

I'm a postmodern vegetarian - I eat meat ironically.
odyssey
PTF God
I've Donated!

Reply #16 - 28. Feb 2008 at 23:12

Seriously?  Smiley

View Profile rainingonthemoon   IP Logged
albdron
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

I'm the Problem!

Reply #17 - 29. Feb 2008 at 06:57

There already is a thread for that; it's called "The Booze Thread" Tongue Grin

« Last Edit: 01. Mar 2008 at 06:07 by albdron »  

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell
View Profile   IP Logged
DrGoon
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

perfectly
uncalled for

Reply #18 - 29. Feb 2008 at 07:46

The communists are redistributing our booze now?

I was born in '66, the year of Pet Sounds, and Sunshine Superman
View Profile   IP Logged
Et in Arcadia Ego
PTF God

Les fleurs du mal

Reply #19 - 29. Feb 2008 at 09:14

Quote from odyssey on 28. Feb 2008 at 23:12:
Seriously? Smiley

Well, it's fun  Wink and not trying to generalize (my apologies if it sounded like that), but I suppose there is a widespread panic of commies all around. Suffice to say, it is very righteous - but to accuse innocent people of practicing something like that, out of pure suspicion evoked by silly reasoning is mala fide, at least.

I'm a postmodern vegetarian - I eat meat ironically.
voyage72
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Reply #20 - 29. Feb 2008 at 10:31

I have to agree with Arcadia. Not that everyone over the US is like that, but dunno how there's always one or two of those around every forum. This guy I mentioned was really freaky. he was total obsessed about it. He even said that with the user name she had, my Finnish friend was in reality a Russian in disguise  Grin And to be true my friend is quite annoyed by some practises of the Russian goverment against environment so calling her Russian was a big agravation for her  Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #21 - 03. Mar 2008 at 12:56

Interesting - we seem to now be having a serious discussion about whether it's a good idea to have a forum for serious discussion.

I've seen politics creep into (supposedly) non-political discussion boards before - usually it's US politics but not always - and you always get three camps: those who are loudly supportive of the thesis of the original posting, those who are violently opposed to it, and those who wish the other two groups would just pack it in and talk about something else because they live the other side of the world and couldn't give a rat's.

On the other hand I wouldn't like to see discussion of politics and religion banned per se. What if the band's songs have political content? You would have to expect political argument on a Billy Bragg forum for example. Likewise you wouldn't expect a forum for fans of Yusuf Islam (the artist formerly known as Cat Stevens) to not mention religion. Those are extreme examples but they illustrate the point. I think a little controversy is healthy, though that may be a controversial thing to say  Huh

As long as people express their opinions in a way that's not abusive or dismissive of others, and are not using the forum as their personal soapbox to continually push a viewpoint, I think discussion of "off-topic" things should be allowed provided it's done in the appropriate forum. After all, if I only want to read about PT-related things I won't bother with the other parts of the forum.  

I don't envy the moderator, who has the task of trying to keep these things in balance.

View Profile   IP Logged
Heather
PTF God

Reply #22 - 20. Mar 2008 at 22:29

Quote from bob_32_116 on 03. Mar 2008 at 12:56:

On the other hand I wouldn't like to see discussion of politics and religion banned per se.

Oh no! If they were banned, where would we get our entertainment? Roll Eyes Grin

god is a spandrel.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The crux of the biscuite is the aphostrophe. Frank Zappa
View Profile   IP Logged
april
PTF God

Reply #23 - 24. Mar 2008 at 13:47

Quote from Heather on 20. Mar 2008 at 22:29:
Quote from bob_32_116 on 03. Mar 2008 at 12:56:

On the other hand I wouldn't like to see discussion of politics and religion banned per se.

Oh no! If they were banned, where would we get our entertainment? Roll Eyes Grin

seconded!  

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print