Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
19. Aug 2017 at 06:18
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Poll
Question: The best animated comedy series?

Family Guy  
  24 (20.1%)
American Dad  
  2 (1.6%)
The Simpsons  
  32 (26.8%)
Futurama  
  18 (15.1%)
South Park  
  34 (28.5%)
Something else. What?  
  9 (7.5%)

Total votes: 119
« Last Modified by: on: 14. Oct 2007 at 11:25 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Let's settle this properly. Best animated comedy? (Read 10167 times)
keno
PTF God
I've Donated!

"Life's Too
Short, To Live The
Same Day Twice"

Re: Let's settle this properly. Best animated come
Reply #50 - 12. Nov 2009 at 17:41

The Simpsons....of course!
The earlier shows....years 1-5 in my opinion are the best.

"When the power of love over comes the love of power, the world will know peace"
Jimi Hendrix
Email View Profile   IP Logged
spaceroad
yhW?
I've Donated!

If u like PT, check
out
www.spacehouse.tv

Reply #51 - 13. Nov 2009 at 11:09

Quote from Sympho on 15. Oct 2007 at 03:19:

It all sucks.. and South Park is waaaaayyy overrated.! Not funny!

I agree. I'm bored with watching Americans celebrating their own stupidity. Let's face it, that's pretty much what the majority of these cartoons have in common.

Email View Profile WWW spacehouse   IP Logged
winterhillxx
PTF God
I've Donated!

What I am to you is
not real

Reply #52 - 15. Nov 2009 at 21:27

I hate Family Guy!!!! Quite like The Simpsons but voted for Futurama, Benders ace. Grin Grin

I know how to be lost in lust
not because you should, but because you must
it burns white hot, and so clouds the mind
this lightning strike is in no ways kind
View Profile   IP Logged
stacked-actors
PTF Junior

and if you get
hooked, its nobody
elses fault...

Reply #53 - 17. Nov 2009 at 23:00

Southpark is soooo overated, and tbh can get sick of the simpsons always being repeated on channel 4 Tongue  
Cant beat Family guy  Cool makes me laugh so much with the random flashbacks  Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
D.incix
PTF Newbie

Lets settle this properly Best animated comedy
Reply #54 - 29. Nov 2009 at 05:40

Here there's nothing to be done.

View Profile   IP Logged
Welshlass
PTF Junior

Jump on my pressure
pill?

Reply #55 - 14. Apr 2010 at 11:58

Early Simpsons episodes were the best (seasons 1~9) but they're really crap lately. I watch a lot of Family Guy, again that can be hit and miss. I don't watch a lot of South Park, but I do enjoy it when it's on.

I'm voting Futurama, because I love the characters and it never fails to make me laugh. Plus it has Zoidberg, who's a legend.

View Profile   IP Logged
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Reply #56 - 14. Apr 2010 at 13:26

I'd like to vote for Dangermouse!  He was the best!!  Thank you. Smiley

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
bbridge
PTF Newbie

Reply #57 - 22. Oct 2010 at 07:30

Family Guy gets my number one vote...but i'm starting to get back into Futurama. I don't think I appreciated it enough when I used to watch it several years back.

View Profile   IP Logged
captain
PTF Junior

Reply #58 - 24. Oct 2010 at 18:08

Southpark is the number one in my book.
Followed closely 2nd are the simpsons & family guy in the 3rd.
But they are all really nice to watch.

View Profile   IP Logged
rusinurbe
PTF Junior

Reply #59 - 20. Apr 2011 at 10:44

What about the 'Flintstones' and the 'Jetsons'

My favorite was 'Ren and Stimpy' with a big shout out to 'Jimmy Neutron'

View Profile   IP Logged
brian_sever34
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

Bitheadh e mar sin!

Reply #60 - 23. Apr 2011 at 23:49

Quote from spaceroad on 13. Nov 2009 at 11:09:
Quote from Sympho on 15. Oct 2007 at 03:19:

It all sucks.. and South Park is waaaaayyy overrated.! Not funny!

I agree. I'm bored with watching Americans celebrating their own stupidity. Let's face it, that's pretty much what the majority of these cartoons have in common.

Yeah.......
Teletubbies really smart.  
Coment coming from Sympho, consider the source.

I'll watch Southpark instead.  

« Last Edit: 25. Apr 2011 at 02:07 by brian_sever34 »  

Really don't mind if you sit this one out.
My words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout!
View Profile   IP Logged
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Reply #61 - 15. Oct 2011 at 06:35

Recently watched through Archer -- pretty close to my favorite now.

For those who are unfamiliar, think James Bond + Arrested Development.

View Profile   IP Logged
Rosettastoned729
PTF Junior

Reply #62 - 15. Dec 2011 at 05:36

I must have voted in this poll and failed to comment. My bad.

Anyway, hands-down my vote goes to South Park. 15 years in and although many (meaning the entire internet) seem to disagree every episode is still not only relevant to American culture, society and politics (I've always thought SP to be more social satire than political satire like The Colbert Report for example, but they'll occasionally touch on political issues), but laugh-out-loud funny throughout. The recent "1%" episode is a perfect example of this. I for one am glad Trey and Matt decided to keep it going until 2016. It's not like they'll ever run out of material unless Americans stop doing stupid stuff, following stupid fads, etc. Anyway, the Simpsons, due to seniority over every other animated series (let alone animated comedy) could've been my number one as well, but I'd be basing that off the first 11 seasons or so, the movie, and the occasional moment of brilliance post season 11, which is where I personally lost interest. South Park is more consistent with quality (and remarkably so with their down-to-the-minute production schedule) and less boring with age/time. South Park, as well as The Simpsons, are both incredible cultural phenomena that will never be forgotten as far as their legacy goes, but South Park also won't be remembered for as many "bad" episodes as The Simpsons. I admit South Park is far from immune to these "bad" episodes however.

Also, worth noting, Futurama ranks a close third out of everything on this list for me, despite having honestly never given more than half an episode the light of day (the characters and premise simply aren't as appealing to me as Groening's other popular show). This is because I despise Seth MacFarlane and everything he touches. In fact as much as I loved South Park I wasn't an avid follower of it until they ripped Family Guy. The guy's brand of humour is akin to taking the most immature childish elements from the early (crappy) 1-2 seasons of South Park, but getting rid of the funny way that South Park would deliver these elements and instead delivering them the way a 12 year old A.D.D. girl on coke would. Plus he cannot write a story to save his life. If there's one thing Trey Parker has mastered it's the script writing/storytelling aspect, along with many other things that make a great comedy series, like comedic timing, etc. Seth and his team write such appalling stories they relied on an 8 minute live action cutaway of a live performance of Conway Twitty instead of legitimate plot development during those minutes, or even legitimate humour for that matter. Plus, to make matters worse, he's been trying too hard to be South Park since they criticized him. In other words, he's been trying to incorporate political and social satire into Family Guy as well, and failing miserably may I add. The South Park guys, while Libertarians, so naturally leaning slightly to the right, generally satirize an issue itself while lampooning both sides. Seth MacFarlane's idea of political satire is "I'm a Hollywood liberal blindly following everything the Democratic party does without question and if you're not doing the same you're subhuman". So, using his once apolitical show as a soapbox for his own politics, while rarely ever generating laughs doing so. American Dad is no different. There's just a flamboyant (and terribly annoying and unfunny) alien (really Seth?) in place of Stewie (who has transformed from a twisted genius to a terribly annoying, flamboyant, and unfunny talking baby himself) and a pet goldfish instead of a dog. While The Cleveland Show is just the least funny and least entertaining character from the main 4 guys, with a family which is nothing more than the Griffins, but African American. Plus, the family structure and the characters' personalities and voices themselves (at least Peter's and Lois') are downright plagiarized from The Simpsons. I personally fail to see how MacFarlane's simple-minded humour (or lack thereof) could appeal to anyone over the age of 13, and I honestly don't see how the guy is famous and making millions to further dumb down the American people. I'm not saying South Park is the most enlightening thing one could watch but it's light-years ahead of any of Seth's shows, that's for sure.

View Profile   IP Logged
Brainwashed
I'll get me cloak!

now...DECONSTRUCT!

Reply #63 - 07. Jan 2012 at 03:30

South Park has become far more soap box-y than Family Guy could ever be. Either that or a really old formulaic rehash. I could write this week's Cartman Show, I mean South Park, episode, watch: Cartman uncovers absurd conspiracy, attempts to shock viewers with racial slurs/over the top violence. Stan and/or Kyle are, for whatever reason, at odds with Cartman's agenda. Randy takes off his shirt after saying "n'oh my gahd" dramatically. Insert unsubtle and not clever references to people in the headlines at the moment. And... credits.

I love South Park but it has gone to beyond crap. I narrowed it down -- while there are signs things are getting bad for a while, it doesn't become unbearable until about mid 10th season. I wish Parker and Stone and Comedy Central would stop milking this dead cow and do something funny again.

And for the record, I'm not defending Family Guy, don't care for it terribly much. I just really, really hate what South Park has become.

View Profile   IP Logged
captain
PTF Junior

Reply #64 - 30. Jan 2012 at 21:32

And don't forget the old classics like
-Starblazers (or Star Battleship Yamato)
-Cabamaru
-Kandy Kandy (yeah i admit i was watching it)
-Nils Holgerson (which prompted me to read the incrediblle book)
-Heidi
-Olysses (with the spaceship)
-Once upon a time...(my fav was the one with the human body)

I hated though the smurfs.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print