Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
23. Jul 2017 at 11:43
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Any North Carolina Fans? (Read 6032 times)
keeprockalive88
Topic Starter Topic Starter
PTF God

HowManyPTfansDoesIt
TakeToScrewInALight
Bulb?

Any North Carolina Fans?
19. Oct 2006 at 22:42

More specifically the Triangle or Triad area?  Just curious to see if there's enough so that the band will actually come to NORTH CAROLINA on their 2007 tour.

Anesthetize Rules My Rooster.
View Profile   IP Logged
bugsbite
PTF God

"I'm making not
an effort not to be
insulted."

Re: Any North Carolina Fans?
Reply #1 - 20. Oct 2006 at 02:12

Quote from keeprockalive88 on 19. Oct 2006 at 22:42:
More specifically the Triangle or Triad area? Just curious to see if there's enough so that the band will actually come to NORTH CAROLINA on their 2007 tour.

I am in the Chalotte area but  the closet I think they ever will get to NC is Georgia or DC

Until next time,
Jan

View Profile   IP Logged
IKONOS
PTF Full Member

RETRO HEAD

Reply #2 - 20. Oct 2006 at 13:06

I'm in South Carolina (Columbia) and my brother lives in Hickory (NC)...  Smiley

... and I thought we were the only southern PTree fans...  Grin

View Profile 11349471   IP Logged
keeprockalive88
PTF God

HowManyPTfansDoesIt
TakeToScrewInALight
Bulb?

Reply #3 - 23. Oct 2006 at 02:06

Oh yeah... cause you have a 'Canes icon!

They really took the post-stanley cup slump... I havn't heard recently how they're doin' but a while ago I heard they wern't doin so hot.

View Profile   IP Logged
IKONOS
PTF Full Member

RETRO HEAD

Reply #4 - 23. Oct 2006 at 12:43

Yeah... they have "Stanly Cup hangover syndrome!" But that alright! They'll be back right before we know it...!  undecided

We (my brother and I) were graced with being able to see Porcupine Tree twice last year, both times in Atlanta - which is most likely the closest venue for the time being. Hopefully one day SW might consider a stop-off in Charlotte? (hint, hint)

In other news - I'm really stoked about the upcoming Album Leaf show happening in Charlotte - October 30th at the Neighborhood Theater!

View Profile 11349471   IP Logged
keeprockalive88
PTF God

HowManyPTfansDoesIt
TakeToScrewInALight
Bulb?

Reply #5 - 23. Oct 2006 at 21:20

I'm psyched for the ...Trail of Dead and Murder By Death Shows (don't let the names fool you)

View Profile   IP Logged
stevehollx
PTF Newbie

Reply #6 - 26. Mar 2007 at 03:09

I'm from Raleigh (rarely ever check this forum).  Making the trip to DC to see them for this tour leg.  They'll probably play Atlanta next leg, and I'll catch them there, as well.

View Profile   IP Logged
albdron
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

I'm the Problem!

Reply #7 - 30. Mar 2007 at 18:32

Quote from keeprockalive88 on 19. Oct 2006 at 22:42:
Just curious to see if there's enough so that the band will actually come to NORTH CAROLINA on their 2007 tour.

For those not familiar with the area, NC State, Duke and UNC campuses are all located there not to mention many other smaller colleges.

You would think that the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) would have lots of fans and even more potential ones! Is not ProgFest held every year in Chapel Hill?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell
View Profile   IP Logged
PorcupineTentacles
PTF Junior

Reply #8 - 10. Apr 2007 at 23:09

They should come to Charlotte, maybe eventually.  Im in High point.

View Profile   IP Logged
jb5string
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 15. May 2007 at 18:07

I'm in Charlotte (native!) and having to travel to Baltimore to see PT next Tuesday (May 22nd). Charlotte is a strange place musically. We get skipped by many great bands. The area is awash in hip hop, classic rock and country music fans. I know only a few prog fans. My brother and I will be at the Rush concert here June 18th. So I'll be seeing Rush and PT this year....not a bad 2007.

IP Logged
colleyj
PTF Newbie

Reply #10 - 19. Jul 2007 at 04:03

I live in the triangle area. Im too late for this tour but will be travelling to the closest gig for their next tour without doubt

View Profile   IP Logged
albdron
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

I'm the Problem!

Reply #11 - 19. Jul 2007 at 16:58

Quote from colleyj on 19. Jul 2007 at 04:03:
Im too late for this tour
Since it ended almost two months ago (in the States) I guess that's a fairly safe statement. Grin

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell
View Profile   IP Logged
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Reply #12 - 19. Jul 2007 at 16:59

Quote from albdron on 30. Mar 2007 at 18:32:
Is not ProgFest held every year in Chapel Hill?

No, but ProgDay is.

Does that officially make me a prog geek?   embarrassed

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
albdron
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

I'm the Problem!

Reply #13 - 19. Jul 2007 at 17:10

Quote from proggrl on 19. Jul 2007 at 16:59:
Quote from albdron on 30. Mar 2007 at 18:32:
Is not ProgFest held every year in Chapel Hill?

No, but ProgDay is.

Does that officially make me a prog geek? embarrassed

I lived in the area from 1981 through 1989, a few years before they began ProgDay.  

To answer your question, no but in combination with some of your other posts it does. Tongue Grin

... and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it ...

View Profile   IP Logged
colleyj
PTF Newbie

Reply #14 - 19. Jul 2007 at 20:22

Quote from albdron on 19. Jul 2007 at 16:58:
Since it ended almost two months ago (in the States) I guess that's a fairly safe statement.

I only found out about the group a month ago so thats why I said I am too late. Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
albdron
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

I'm the Problem!

Reply #15 - 19. Jul 2007 at 20:28

Quote from colleyj on 19. Jul 2007 at 20:22:
I only found out about the group a month ago so thats why I said I am too late.
Just a little humor on my part. Wink Where do you live in the Triangle?

... a little humor ... very little ...

View Profile   IP Logged
colleyj
PTF Newbie

Reply #16 - 19. Jul 2007 at 21:17

Quote from albdron on 19. Jul 2007 at 20:28:
Just a little humor on my part. Where do you live in the Triangle?

I actually live in Holly Springs and I wasn't taking offense. Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
albdron
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

I'm the Problem!

Reply #17 - 19. Jul 2007 at 22:23

Quote from colleyj on 19. Jul 2007 at 21:17:
I actually live in Holly Springs and I wasn't taking offense.

I used to live in Cary, my kids went to Apex elementary school.

View Profile   IP Logged
shiver
PTF Junior

Reply #18 - 09. Aug 2007 at 06:49

I'm from Winston-Salem.

Anyone going to the Raleigh show and want to meet up?

View Profile   IP Logged
Tangy
PTF Junior

Reply #19 - 13. Nov 2007 at 22:17

Asheville ...... Cheesy

High School- Chapel Hill
College- Boone

Went out west and did the ski bum thing from'89 to '04.

View Profile   IP Logged
warrplayer
PTF Newbie

Reply #20 - 19. Jun 2010 at 03:45

Any fans who were at the Charlotte show April 28th at Amos' ?

Mirror People (with guests Gavin Harrison, Pat Mastelotto, Jerry MArotta, Markus Reuter) Listen to the new album for free at
www.myspace.com/mirrorpeopleband
View Profile   IP Logged
Keyspoet
PTF Newbie

Reply #21 - 04. Sep 2010 at 21:30

Currently living in Largo, Florida, but in the process of moving to NC, preferably in the mountains somewhere near Asheville.

We drove up for the Asheville show on 21 August, and will be seeing them for the last time this tour at Radio City Music Hall in NYC of 24 September.

We first saw them perform The Incident in NYC last 24 September 2009, at Terminal 5 in Manhattan (great show - terrible venue), and then 23 April at House of Blues in Orlando, and 25 April at the Tampa Theatre in Tampa.  

Terminal 5 was my least favorite show thus far.  We drove over 1200 miles to see them at Terminal 5, only to have to watch them on monitors for most of the concert, because it wasn't possible for me to actually see the band (I'm 5' 2"), which did NOT make me happy.  Of course, my boyfriend was delivering a truck to Philadelphia on the way, and it had its speed limited to 62 miles per hour, so between that and the atrocious traffic throughout the eastern seaboard, we nearly missed the show altogether - we missed opening band Kings X completely, and having confirmed with the venue that Porcupine Tree would be taking the stage at 9 PM, we pulled into the parking building at 9:02.  Yikes!  Happily, we did make it inside before they started playing, and remarkably ran into a friend of ours as we walked back toward the stairs - he and another friend had spent ten days with us in Florida earlier in the month, when we recorded a demo together.  We tried in vain to find a place upstairs where I could see the band, until I finally gave up and watched the monitors, and then toward the end of the concert we made our way back downstairs where I could at least see them from a distance, which made it all worthwhile.  Wink

House of Blues, Orlando and the Tampa Theatre, Tampa were both fabulous, though very different shows; the House of Blues was the first time I actually got to see the overhead projections, which are excellent, if very disturbing, particularly for Blind House.  House of Blues is a standing venue, much like Terminal 5, but because we bought our tickets through ROABP, we were allowed to enter a half hour early; we got a place front and center on the balcony, so that I could see everything, from beginning to end.  Fabulous show, great sound, and great performances all around - we also got the special bonus of getting to meet John Wesley after the show and had a nice chat with him.  Very nice and humble guy.  We also met the members of BigElf, the opening band, who are from my native Los Angeles, and we had a good time talking with them.  Also very nice and humble - and funny - guys, particularly lead man and keyboardist Damon Fox.  

My very first PT concert was also at the House of Blues, on 3 Oct 2007, which was #1 on my all time concert list until we saw them at the Tampa Theatre - they were supposed to have had an opening band there, as well, but happily for me, PT played the entire show by themselves.  Although we found space almost directly in front of the stage, literally in-between Colin Edwin and Steven Wilson, Marek insisted on dragging me all over the venue - he is 6' 3" tall, and has no trouble seeing no matter where we go.  It hadn't occurred to him that, at 5' 2" tall, the same is not true in my case.  Hence my decision this time to find one spot and stay there.  I missed a lot of the visuals, though the sound was top-notch, and toward the end of the concert we managed seats in the mezzanine area, where I could not only sit - hooray! - but also see everything and everyone onstage.  When Marek wanted me to move again, I considered mutiny, but finally relented when he promised me that I wouldn't be sorry, and ultimately led me to the same spot where we had started the concert - right in front of the stage, just in time for the finale of Halo.  

By contrast, the Tampa Theatre is a 1920s movie palace, built back when going to the cinema was an event for which one dressed, so it is a spectacular and very intimate venue - and, according to Steven Wilson, was the first (and probably only) venue on the tour which did not have enough room on the stage for their overhead video screen.  As he modestly observed, "Hopefully the music is good enough."  It certainly was, and without the visuals present, made for a much more intimate show.  As we bought those tickets from ROABP as well, we would also have been allowed early entry there, had we not run into one of our spectacular Florida thunderstorms on the way . . . we had fabulous seats in the second row, just right of center, with no seats in front of us.  As a result, we were directly in front of Steven Wilson throughout most of the concert, about fifteen feet or so from him, and so that is now the concert to beat.  Wonderful concert, and I really didn't miss the visuals, as the performances were so outstanding.  

The Tampa Theatre has outstanding acoustics - we saw Queensryche there in 2008, and their sound was excellent as well.

The Asheville show was not as good, no fault of Porcupine Tree, but simply not a great concert venue.  It is a large concrete auditorium, with so-so acoustics, and the reverb was so great that it was difficult to hear the lyrics from any of the singers.  The Dear Hunter opened the show, and were very good, though their set was simply too short.  Porcupine Tree followed, and blew us away as usual, though they only played The Incident through Draw the Line and then switched to playing their back catalogue.  Coheed was a letdown.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Reply #22 - 06. Sep 2010 at 19:32

FL PT fans are just pouring out of the woodwork now!  Nice!  Cheesy

We need to do a FL PT get together at Keno's Fat Cat Tavern.  Ummm...  North Carolina fans can join too.  Wink

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
Keyspoet
PTF Newbie

Reply #23 - 06. Sep 2010 at 19:46

Yes, I am running into more and more PT fans wherever I go - thank goodness!!!  

So where is Keno's Fat Cat Tavern, anyway?  Wink

Email View Profile   IP Logged
DrGoon
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

perfectly
uncalled for

Reply #24 - 07. Sep 2010 at 16:15

I was born in '66, the year of Pet Sounds, and Sunshine Superman
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2