Porcupine Tree Logo Welcome to the Porcupine Tree Forum 1.0 Archive! This is a read-only archive of the PTF 1.0

Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
21. Aug 2017 at 16:47
Home Help Rules Search Login
RSS News Feed

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Chat Rooms? (Read 5768 times)
erictak
Ex Member

Re: Chat Rooms?
Reply #25 - 16. Jul 2007 at 07:55

Well I am not sure we need a chat room here - anyway I like to read people's contributions here.

As far as I am concerned as long as we can have a certain discipline and stay on-topic in the PT/other music threads I do not mind at all if some threads in the General Sections (like " Booze" , "post anything"  etc ) sometimes look more like a chat-room log.

I think there should be room here for everyone - and if the above discipline is adhered to people can decide in what sections they want to post or read ... without anyone nedding to feel bad about it

just my thoughts here  Wink

cheers

Eric

IP Logged
Gaz9012
PTF Junior
I've Donated!

me Wes and sarah

Reply #26 - 21. Feb 2008 at 19:26

Hi, am new here, and just slowly checking everything out.

Can i surgest a shout box.  I use another forum that has this and it stops alot of idle posts.  for a newbie here i have found it quite hard work to follow conversations and post's.

View Profile   IP Logged
bob_32_116
I'll get me cloak!

Reply #27 - 05. Mar 2008 at 19:07

Having been a member of other forums that also have chat facilities, I can state that the chat rarely works well unless the membership is huge to begin with. Consider: how many of the registered members are active; what fraction of those would be logged on at any one time; what fraction of those are prepared to enter the chat room, say Hi, wait for the room to respond, which doesn't happen because the others in the room have given up waiting and are reading the PTF or surfing elsewhere, and have the patience to wait until someone who is supposed to be in the room actually checks the window and responds? I can tell you, this is what happens unless there is very high patronage to begin with.

I am not saying that having a chat room would do any harm, but it's probably a fair amount of effort for Mr Labcoat to set up, and I don't know that it would repay the effort.

Considering that on one occasion I posted a question, saw the post and decided to amend it, and received an answer before I had even posted the amended, real-time chat could not give much better service!

View Profile   IP Logged
PTF Admin
PTF Administrator

I'm in command!! :-)

Reply #28 - 05. Mar 2008 at 19:15

We have considered a chat room but have no plans to implement one at this time. We are however testing a ShoutBox solution for the major forum upgrade, PTF 2.0, which should be coming online in the next few months...

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Simon
Global Moderator

Reply #29 - 28. May 2008 at 21:22

We've had a few requests over the years here at PTF for a chat room. It is however something that we don't have time to set up and administrate. However, I have discovered that the old IRC chat room used by the Dark Matter PT mailing list is still working, although no-one seems to have used it for a few years. If you want to go and chat there you can do it in two ways: using an IRC client installed on your PC/Mac or for those challenged by doing that there is a web based option. If you want a client the following will work:  

Windows users:http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/pirch.html  

Mac users:http://homepage.mac.com/philrobin/conversation/  

If you want to use the web browser option then give this a try:http://www.mibbit.com/  

And finally the all important server details:  

Server: irc.starchat.net  

channel: #darkmatter  

So... anyone fancy a chat?  

Cheers,  

Simon

Carbon Nation - The Independent Porcupine Tree magazine. CN10 out now! www.carbon-nation.co.uk
View Profile WWW carbon_nation   IP Logged
fathomspace
PTF Senior
I've Donated!

In my own words...or
in the words of
others....

Reply #30 - 30. May 2008 at 07:38

Quote from SelfMedicating on 16. Sep 2006 at 14:46:
sense of adventure?

that's what Ellie replied when the committee on whether she should be launched in the machine (in the movie "Contact"):  she replied,  

"I was going to say 'a sense of adventure'" to the question whether faith was what was required of her as a candidate to be chosen to take that short ride in a fast machine (actually, it recorded static, but that's not what interests me -- what interests me is the fact that it recorded 18 hours of it...)

ROTFLMAO

or conversely,

tearing up at a ballad...
Email View Profile   IP Logged
chix0r
PTF Newbie

Reply #31 - 02. Jun 2008 at 14:32

wicked stuff - I had suggested an IRC chat ( or a perm skype text chat) in the FOABP forum too.

I'll definately check it out.

Always the summers are slipping away
proggrl
I'll get me cloak!
I've Donated!

fun fun fun fun FUN

Reply #32 - 22. Feb 2009 at 00:49

Quote from PTF Admin on 05. Mar 2008 at 19:15:
We have considered a chat room but have no plans to implement one at this time. We are however testing a ShoutBox solution for the major forum upgrade, PTF 2.0, which should be coming online in the next few months...

Is this still a consideration??  I Still think it would be very useful here.

Death is just a breath away, but so is life
View Profile WWW proggrl KryssieP   IP Logged
VaporTrail
Topic Starter Topic Starter
I'll get me cloak!

Chester

Reply #33 - 22. Feb 2009 at 12:44

Agreed, it would make the whole general chat forum actually readable.

http://www.orphidice.com http://www.mrsvee.co.uk
Email View Profile WWW VaporTrail vaportrailx1 orphidice   IP Logged
PTF Admin
PTF Administrator

I'm in command!! :-)

Reply #34 - 27. Feb 2009 at 21:33

We're still looking at implementing a "ShoutBox' in PTF2.0, but not a chat room as such at this time...

Mac
I'll get me cloak!

Bass Communion cures
sickness. Seriously.

Reply #35 - 27. Feb 2009 at 21:38

And when will this PFT2.0 be administrated? I believe I heard something similar to June?

"The most beautiful sound next to silence"

'Tonbänder' now out on Mrsvee http://tinyurl.com/yjdxo9p
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hasselbalch
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print